The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 14, 2018, 12:29 PM   #26
pblanc

For some of us older folks, front sight focus becomes problematical to the point that accurate sight alignment is no longer possible. Personally, I would love the simplicity of using open sights if I were still able to do so.

Improper scope positioning is a very common problem for those who have never used their scope-mounted rifle for shooting in the prone position. A scope placed for comfortable shooting from a bench or when shooting freehand standing will usually have the ocular set too far rearward to allow it to be used prone. The prone position is the least forgiving with regard to scope placement. When prone, your head is extended backward on the neck. This prevents you from adjusting your head position further forward or back to any extent. When shooting sitting or standing, you can compensate for scope position by "turkey necking".

But a scope with an adjustable objective or a side parallax adjustment at the erector will not help you if your scope is improperly positioned. It will help you achieve sharper focus on your target at the 25 meter range most Appleseed events are shot at, and it will reduce the potential for parallax error if your cheek weld is not consistent. But it will not do much of anything to dramatically change the length of the scope's eyebox, which is the critical factor for scope positioning for prone shooting.

Nearly all scopes' eyeboxes will also shorten as magnification is dialed up on an adjustable magnification scope. If you are mounting a scope for prone shooting, leave the rings loose enough so you can slide the scope forward and back. Dial the magnification up to the highest level you think you are going to use and get into your prone position, preferably slung up. Set the scope so that the ocular lens is as close to your eye as you can get without any vignetting.

For many 2x7 or 3x9 adjustable magnification scopes, mounting the scope ocular far enough forward will require either an extended accessory rail on the receiver, a one-piece cantilever mount, or a set of forward extension rings.

Last edited by pblanc; October 14, 2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old October 16, 2018, 06:01 PM   #27
kymasabe

What about the new Thompson T/CR22? That seems like a significant step up from a stock 10/22.
Old October 16, 2018, 06:02 PM   #28
kymasabe

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/semi-automatic/t-cr22
Old October 16, 2018, 07:05 PM   #29
MarkCO

The TC is a 10/22 knock off. Decent from what I have seen, but magazines more fragile. Ruger has the 10/22s from $250ish to about $800 with several levels and configurations. TacSols and Volquartsen are also 10/22 styles higher up the ladder in terms of customization and performance.
Old October 17, 2018, 08:12 PM   #30
Mike38

Start with a bone stock Ruger 10/22 stainless with those cheap plastic hollow stocks. Add a couple extra magazines. Volquartzen drop in trigger kit. Tech Sights. Keep the stock on the gun, they work just fine, the money saved on a fancy stock can be used to buy a case of ammo. That right there will get you your Rifleman Patch, as long as you do your part. Guaranteed. I know from experience, as I did it.
Old October 18, 2018, 08:48 AM   #31
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Start with a bone stock Ruger 10/22 stainless with those cheap plastic hollow stocks. Add a couple extra magazines. Volquartzen drop in trigger kit. Tech Sights. Keep the stock on the gun, they work just fine, the money saved on a fancy stock can be used to buy a case of ammo. That right there will get you your Rifleman Patch, as long as you do your part. Guaranteed. I know from experience, as I did it.
That is pretty much the same one I used, and I train kids on now. Mine has a Hogue stock that I picked up of a prize table.

It had well over 100K on it now.