The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2018, 01:42 AM   #1
Liulfr

SKS gas block lever damage

So I've recently purchased a near-mint Russian SKS that has an irking problem. The the thumb tab of the lever on the rear-sight to release the gas assembly on her is snapped off. The rest of the lever is there, but that one part is broken off. Any way to replace this part or am I looking at likely having to replace much more costly parts of my rifle?..

Thanks for your interest and assistance,

-L
Old September 28, 2018, 02:12 PM   #2
JJ45

On my Russian there is not much of a "tab" for finger purchase when lifting the lever but it is not broken. This is unlike the ChiCom and a few other Russian models I used to own which had a prominent "tab"which provided more surface to grab. I can remember when I first got the weapon, a 1953 Tula, that I thought something was wrong with the lever but there wasn't.

It would seem pretty difficult to actually break this part, a picture would help.
Old September 29, 2018, 11:49 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Gunparts wants $12.75 each for a hand guard catch when they have 'em. They don't currently. It's the same part for any SKS. Not that it helps.
A guy on an old post on another forum suggested that rear sight blocks tend to have 'em still on. Kind of doubt that'll help either though.
Another guy on another forum suggested they're not hard to make out of sheet metal. Got any welding skills or know anybody who does?

Tags
damage , sks