The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2015, 11:49 AM   #76
RobinTN

He so far away from the action, he doesn't even need ear or eye protection...
Old February 5, 2015, 04:45 PM   #77
FITASC

Notice how his forearm wraps around the entire bRrel in two pieces?
Old February 5, 2015, 10:17 PM   #78
ClayBlaster

Side-by-Side or Over/Under

That's a very nice gun FITAS! To rich for my blood! My budget is less than 3K. Other than the CZ, what other builders make a competition SxS? Oh, by the way, What the heck is that RobinTN? I wouldn't think of showing up at the range with something like that! But if I shot half as good as I think that guy does, maybe I would!
Old February 5, 2015, 10:22 PM   #79
Dreaming100Straight

Not sure but isn't he a Saudi prince or just a the son of a wealthy middle eastern oil tycoon.
Old February 6, 2015, 06:54 AM   #80
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBlaster
I wouldn't think of showing up at the range with something like that! But if I shot half as good as I think that guy does, maybe I would!
At the Olympics, he probably fits right in.

Old February 6, 2015, 07:02 AM   #81
Virginian

I have no use for freakish guns with no aesthetic appeal (to me). I would be more than happy to shoot as good as Tom Knapp did with a normal looking gun.
Old February 7, 2015, 12:10 PM   #82
Brutus

Anyone know of a good place to go for a fitting in the Chicagoland area?
Old February 7, 2015, 03:34 PM   #83
Dreaming100Straight

Like I thought, per this Pakistani gun forum that is a picture of a Dubai prince with the funny looking sxs.

Old February 8, 2015, 06:33 AM   #84
darkgael

score

How did he do?

Pete
Old February 8, 2015, 10:14 PM   #85
ClayBlaster

Who cares! That is just one ugly shot gun! I'm sorry but competition should be with standard firearms and none of this elaborate stuff. I still don't see why an O/U is better for sporting clays than a SxS. If you think about patterns, fit, sight picture and follow through, whats the difference?
Old February 16, 2015, 04:04 PM   #86
Husqvarna

O/U covers less of your periphiral-vision, easier to center the barrels and hit theclays

if it wasn't better then the olympic shooters and other competitors wouldnt 99,9% shot O/Us
Old February 24, 2015, 12:08 AM   #87
ClayBlaster

CZ is the only one I see who makes a S/S for sporting clays. It looks like a nice gun for the $1,300 price tag. I also have my eye on a Browning Citori 725 Sporting O/U. Tag on that is double the money though. Hard for my to spend 2,600 on a shotgun. I'm taking the wife and daughter for the first time this Friday. Maybe I'll be buying three new guns!
Old February 24, 2015, 12:29 AM   #88
ninjarealist

I think all shotguns are a blast to shoot. I learned on clays and it's still my favorite kind of target practice.

I do really enjoy shooting a good O/U though. It's the type of shotgun I learned on as a kid and it always just felt right.

At the time I took for granted how much a shotgun like that costs, but now that I own guns myself I only wish I could afford one.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:26 PM   #89
ClayBlaster

I hear ya Ninjarealist! Any shotgun is fun to shoot and a O/U is still probably the best way to go. That said, I found out about a professional shooter named Tom Knapp who shot with a S/S. Makes me want to buy one and go against all odds.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:53 PM   #90
FITASC

Quote:
CZ is the only one I see who makes a S/S for sporting clays.
Incorrect, CSMC (CT shotgun manufacturing) does; many of the Spanish best gun makers make a sporting/pigeon version, and others like the heavy Browning BSS can be used as well......
Old February 25, 2015, 11:26 PM   #91
ClayBlaster

Side-by-Side or Over/Under?

FITASC

CSMC is great if you have 10+K to spend on a shotgun! My budget is less than 2.5k. CSMC is out of my league! Give me the names of the others please. CZ and Stoger are the only S/S I see. Even Browning didn't have a current S/S on their web site.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:37 AM   #92
Virginian

A used Browing BSS or a used Winchester 23 are both good choices. Enough weight and a tough enough design to take a lot of shooting. Parker Reproductions may be in the mix too, I just never clicked with those.
Old February 26, 2015, 08:19 AM   #93
FITASC

Besides used Winchesters and Brownings mentioned above, there are used SKB (IIRC, models were 100 and 200??). You might get lucky and find z used CSMC RBL in 20 for about 3, very possibly a used AyA 4/53 or a used Ugartechea. The issue with the last two will be weight as they are designed for field use (like most high quality SxS guns).

After that will be the newer Turkish imports, mostly from Huglu and AKUS which will be the S&W Elite Gold , now sold by Cabelas as the Dickinson, and the CZ guns.

After exhausting those will be older Stevens/Savage-Fox , older US guns like Parker, LeFever, et al. With the last few mentioned ones, I see two areas of potential concern - their age and condition in your price range and the stock dimensions back then tended to have a LOT more drop. They were also most likely used for hunting only and could have suffered from serious use. Parker, LeFever, the original AH Fox, etc., all have web sites dedicated to those guns with lots of knowledgeable folks. I would also look at :http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php for any info about SxS guns.

Good luck in your quest!

PS - JMO, but if your interest will be mostly clays, in your budget you will find a lot of choices in O/U's from the likes of Beretta, Browning, SKB, possibly a used Geurini.
Old March 15, 2015, 03:59 PM   #94
ClayBlaster

Side-bySide or Over/Under

Well I got the chance to shoot a Perazzi Side-by-Side at the sporting clay range today. I really like the sxs and shot good with it. I think I've made my mind up, sxs it is! Don't think I'll be buying a Perazzi or Conneticutt Arms, to rich for my budget!
Old March 15, 2015, 04:41 PM   #95
eastbank

if you can live with two triggers and plain extractors,look for a used charles daly 500 SXS made by miroku in japan the same makers of browning shotguns. i picked up one in ex condition in 12ga for 200.00(a steal). after comparing it side by side to my browning bss SXS it is the same shotgun, but with two triggers and extractors. well made and solid. eastbank.
Old March 16, 2015, 06:51 PM   #96
FITASC

Quote:
Well I got the chance to shoot a Perazzi Side-by-Side at the sporting clay range today. I really like the sxs and shot good with it. I think I've made my mind up, sxs it is! Don't think I'll be buying a Perazzi or Conneticutt Arms, to rich for my budget!
Perazzi only started making their SxS recently so you got to shoot a fairly rare gun.

You might want to check out James Julia or Rock Island Auctions. An older friend of mine has purchased almost 30 over the last few years and none were that expensive since most were older used guns, including a lot of English guns from the earl;y part of the 1900s
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 17, 2015, 05:42 AM   #97
darkgael

Used

Parker VH
Old March 17, 2015, 07:53 PM   #98
ClayBlaster

Side-by-Side or Over/Under?

Darkgael

Thats Nice! What is it?
Old March 17, 2015, 08:27 PM   #99
FITASC

Looks like a Parker
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 18, 2015, 04:46 AM   #100
darkgael

Parker

Guys....look at the top of the picture.......where I wrote "Parker VH"
Another view of the old gun