The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Better shotgun
Remington 870 express 108 52.17%
Mossberg 500 99 47.83%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 17, 2009, 05:46 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Brad, Don't even try to toss me in a coolifornia bus!... we will scrap!
But for me an express is a fry cry from a wingmaster. How many threads of stuck shells in an express chamber since I joined? Can't tell you but more than a dozen by a ways... How many inoperable 500's? None, unless you count the guys that over torque the stock bolt and it won't let the trigger group out.
I take that back, there was one broken barrel mount lug but from the images it appears they torqued the barrel screw too tight in an attempt to close the required gap.
Don't get me wrong... the Rem 870 is a solid platform. But they took the same steps to cheapen down the WM as mossberg did on my Maverick 88 (finish on mine is nice) to compete with the 500 but it is still more.
My point is both are venerable, solid hunting or HD/SD arms. And mine went near 2 decades and several thousand rounds without a tear down.
Then when you factor in the excellent lay out of the controls, Mossberg is the only choice for me.
Brent
Old April 17, 2009, 05:52 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Trigger happy, What model Mercedes pick up are gonna bring to work?

Will dog box fit? And is it on a good solid drive line capable of handling the ruts and roots in 4 low? How much id the replacement starter, alternator and water pump...
Oh yeah, part for part the mossberg is cheaper to keep running if something should need replaced, upgraded or swapped...
From stocks to barrels!
we can do this all night
Brent
Old April 17, 2009, 06:09 PM   #28
amygdala

870 express

I recently acquired a 20 ga 870 express synthetic 18" with extended magazine. Needed 20 ga to protect damaged rotators. At the time of purchase, this combination was either (1) cheaper through Remington and/or (2) only available from Remington. Remind me, what does Mossberg offer with this combination of features for ~$300?
Old April 17, 2009, 06:28 PM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You got me there... I always felt 6 rounds of 20 gauge from my 18.5 inch barrel will handle 5 intruders (first guy gets 2 com unless I know he has company). I never really thought to plan for more than 5.
If I need more I have shells for that, a 12 guage, a .30-30 and multiple .22 offerings...
Brent
Old April 17, 2009, 06:50 PM   #30
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I have nothing against Moss 500's. They will work if you don't mind the cheaper parts and rattling forearms. I like my 835 because it shoots better than most any other shotgun on the market with the .775 backbore barrel. It will throw some awesome patterns that very few turkeys will ever want to meet. But I'll take my 870 Express over any Mossy anyday of the week for the better made gun. It simply put is a better quality gun that fits better, feels better, looks better, and works better without all the extra rattling features that the Mossy's have.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:11 PM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The rattling is a tactical feature... You don't even have to shuck the action to make an intruder crap his britches! Just jostle and jiggle the gun and any good criminal will know that is a Mossberg 500 in the hands of a redneck guy who ain't about to let his prize 21 inch B&W TV set with chrome rabbit ears be stolen by a punk...
Old April 17, 2009, 07:21 PM   #32
sholling

Quote:
prize 21 inch B&W TV set with chrome rabbit ears
You just know a collectors item when you see it.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:51 PM   #33
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
I have both and have carried both at one time or another as a duty shotgun. I do prefer the safety on the Mossberg being right under my thumb. The 670 seems stronger built and easy to find aftermarket stuff- but in a tight spot, that thumb safe on the Mossberg wins hands down, in my experience. My NEXT shotgun is gonna be a mag fed semi auto with banana clips....
Old April 18, 2009, 05:46 AM   #34
TMackey

870 vs 500 for HD

I've owned both.

No question in my mind. 500 all the way.
Old April 18, 2009, 08:31 AM   #35
Creature

Quote:
Whether for home defense or for general hunting purposes, the 870 Express is the better gun for any application.
Okay...why?
Old April 18, 2009, 10:05 AM   #36
Kmar40

Quote:
I can tell you this much if you would hand the 2 guns in this poll to a true machinist that could study each design and funtionablility of parts and what will last longer, the machinist would say 870 hands-down.
What a hoot! Funny coming from a Remington fan, especially since Remington refused to enter the military shotgun test because they suspected they would lose.

That being said, aside the irritation I have with 870 fanboys and their delusions, EITHER the Mossberg or will work fine for you. My preference is for the Mossy because of the superior location of the safety and slidelock and the lighterweight alloy receiver. The Mossberg is very similar to the Browning BPS actually. That being said, I've carried a 14" Remington at work in the past and I won't hesitate to do it again. It works well but I prefer a lighter longarm.

Almost any US made (HS, Win, Ithaca) and many foreign shotguns will work well also. Basically, a 12g pump is a 12g pump. Learn to use it and shoot it a lot.

Last edited by Kmar40; April 18, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #37
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Actually I'm a Moss 835 fan when it comes to throwing some mean patterns at turkeys.

It shoots very well, that is why I bought it. But even I can look at a gun and take them apart and tell you which is the better built gun.

The 870 smokes the Mossberg pump shotguns.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:56 AM   #38
Creature

Quote:
The 870 smokes the Mossberg pump shotguns.
Huh!...another pointless opinion proffered without supporting reasons. Unless we are to go strictly by looks alone.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:02 PM   #39
Yodwinder

If you're thinking about a 590A1 model another thing to consider is that you can only get the 18.5" and 20" barrels that came on them. Whereas the 870's you have a lot of different offerings as far as barrels go.

But if you're going for HD and don't plan on doing anything but HD then the Mossberg would probably suit you just as well as the 870 as the others have mentioned.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:10 PM   #40
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yod, A simple mag tube and spring swap to a 5 round 500 type allows any 500 barrel to be used Or modifying a 500 with A-1 trigger group and safety button gives you a 5+1 with the cool stuff in the receiver...
Brent
Old April 18, 2009, 02:14 PM   #41
zippy13

hogdogs,
Brent, did I read you correctly earlier? Because of the finishing levels (like rough chambers), you seem to advocate comparing the Remington 870 Express to the Maverick 88 and the 870 Wingmaster to the Mossberg 500. I tend to agree with you, too many folks think Wingmaster quality when discussing 870 Expresses. Comparing your way really sticks it to Remington when it comes to MSRP.

Pete
Old April 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #42
Stiofan

Well I own a Wingmaster, and I wouldn't buy an Express, nor would I buy a Mossberg, due to the finish and less polishing of the machined parts. As has been said here enough times, there is nothing wrong with them but they are made to slightly lower standards to achieve that cost savings so you get what you pay for. They will both last about the same and shoot about the same so for SD it's a toss up.

Threads like this tend to just be popularity contests anyway and don't solve anything. In two days another will pop up and people will start over again.

I own a Belgium Browning A-5 12 gauge, and set it up against a Miroku Browning you probably couldn't tell the difference except for the engraving on the barrel. But the Belgium will sell for twice as much. It won't shoot any better however. Same as the Wingmaster vs the Express. Or the Mossy. So what have we once again proved here? As usual, nothing.
Old April 18, 2009, 04:10 PM   #43
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zippy, That is exactly what I am saying...
Remington WM is a right fine gun. In wood furniture I would think I had a Perazzi in my hands and would fret to think of taking it where I would hunt... The Swamps...
They had to really shave off the quality to get the price near the Mossberg 500 to compete (they seem to think they needed to do this) yet they made a gun that is rust happy with commonly rough chambers that hang on to fired shells unless the buyer polishes it up. So I think IMHO that it is comparable in over all fit and finish or less than that of a Maverick 88 but still more than a 500. My gun has decent bluing and can't remember how many times my sweaty hands have held it as well as had it out in rain or drizzle and only wiped it off and/or sprayed it with WD-40.
But I guess with all less than precise tools some are lucky and slip through as nice pieces. But yeah it do rattle like all Mossbergs...
Brent
Old April 18, 2009, 04:55 PM   #44
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This thread is a useless waste of Holy Bandwidth.

I'm a hardcore 870 fan, but if all I had to defend my family and self with was a Mossberg, I'D STILL BE VERY WELL ARMED.

Why?

Because I know how to shoot.

A shotgunner is deadly with darn near any shotgun.

A non shotgunner is darn near useless with the best Remington/Mossberg/Benelli/Winchester/Ithaca/ Saiga made.

Put down your mice and go shoot.....
Old April 18, 2009, 05:11 PM   #45
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I was just debating with Junior about whether a 'puter mouse in plural is mice (my thought) or mouses (his thought) No shooting for me until after the 26th, turkey season down here...
Brent
Old April 18, 2009, 05:13 PM   #46
kiwicrusaders

Get a Browning BPS High Capacity. Best pump on the market hands down !
Old April 18, 2009, 05:30 PM   #47
freakintoguns

i say get both! and a benelli, a ithaca, winchester, some sxses and O/Us shotguns rock!
Old April 19, 2009, 09:09 PM   #48
Shaun_300

You can never go wrong with an 870, that'd be my choice!
Old April 19, 2009, 10:29 PM   #49
haiyter

dont people ever get tired of debating? its like asking people which do they like better, coke or pepsi
Old April 20, 2009, 08:09 AM   #50
GetYerShells

I have the mossberg so it gets my nod