The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2019, 02:37 PM   #1
dedrevil

Adjustable Scope Bases Help

I am looking for a scope base that I can adjust to "zero-in" my elevation.

I know there are the precision ones that allow you to adjust on the fly, which cost more than my damn optic.

I don't care about adjusting it after its zero'd, just want full adjustment of the elevation of my turret

Currently, the only thing I can find are the burris XTR signature rings that use inserts, which I am not a fan of. However, they are in my price range of around $100

Even the warne angle eye (which are discontinued now) I couldnt afford.
Obviously I definitely cant afford the Ivey shooting bases.

Any options out there that dont involve constantly switching inserts or angled bases that would perfectly zero but get close. Also that dont cost more than the last car I owned lol
Old December 10, 2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Bart B.

Please define "zeroing elevation."

Is it setting scope elevation to the low limit then using rings to obtain boresight to that point so maximum elevation adjustment is possible?

Do you know how to set the E and W adjustments to center the inner tube on the scope main axis? It's not putting them mid point in their physical range.

Note there'll typically be several clicks up above the upper and past the right limit where no change takes place.

You can use shims under the rear Burris XTR ring to get the scope angle to boresight at the elevation lowest setting.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 10, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old December 10, 2019, 04:18 PM   #3
jmr40

I'm not sure I understand the problem. But you can get scope bases that are higher in the rear that will give you more vertical adjustment for shooting at extreme long range. You shouldn't need anything special for zeroing at 100-200 yards and shooting out to 500-600.

I am familiar with windage adjustable mounts that will compensate for improperly drilled mounting holes to get the scope aligned with the barrel.

Winston Churchill
Old December 10, 2019, 06:14 PM   #4
dedrevil

I went with the XTR rings, I'm worried how well they will hold up on my 300prc.

I still would like to find an option that lets me fine-tune the cant on the scope so that it will be perfectly sighted in (elevation wise) at 100 yards, but we will see how these do for now.

The Warne Angeleye rings seem like they would have been perfect, but they are no longer made and the ones you can find are $400 for a set of rings.
Old December 10, 2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Bart B.

What scope make/model are you using?

What do you mean by "cant on the scope?" Twisting in the rings or vertical angle to the bore axis?

Last edited by Bart B.; December 11, 2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Don Fischer

I did some loading for a guy a couple years ago that had a rel nice Bosch & Lomb scope on his rifle. Bad thing was you can't adjust the scope, you need special base's that do adjust. What a POS set up! Very hard to adjust the things, I'm never work with a set like that again! Rather than worry about more elevation, learn to hunt closer. Then pretty much any set of base's work and scope adjustment is a breeze!
Old December 12, 2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Bob Willman

I have a B&L Balvar 8A 3x - 8X from the 1970s that has no in scope adjustments except for magnification. The bases are adjustable V grooves for both windage and elevation. One base is on a 98 Mauser 30-06 and another base is on a Ruger #1 in 300 Win Mag. I use the scope on either rifle with no loss of zero. Scope change takes about 1 minute or so.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:51 PM   #8
dedrevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
What scope make/model are you using?

What do you mean by "cant on the scope?" Twisting in the rings or vertical angle to the bore axis?
vertical angle, changing the pitch of the scope with rings (just pitch, not yaw or roll, so many terms to describe the same thing lol)

The Warne AngleEye rings are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, except the price, if they were half that Id be happy, and warne no longer makes them.

I am running a Sig Sauer Tango-4 6-24x50 on my 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Nikon Black FX1000 6-24x50 on my 300 PRC
Old December 12, 2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Bart B.

OK, vertical angle, or elevation angle from LOS to LOF. "Cant" is the common term for what you're referring to as "roll."

Do you know how to center your scope adjustments to put the inside lenses on the scope outer main tube's center?

That has to be done before the elevation adjustment can be put at the lowest setting then the scope rings adjusted to angle the scope for maximum elevation adjustment range. Specs for the SS 6-24 lists a 52 MOA elevation adjustment range but there may be more than 2/3rds that available. The Nikon scope may be similar.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 12, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old December 13, 2019, 01:22 AM   #10
dedrevil

I am thinking I might return the XTR rings and just bite the bullet and go with the AnglEyes, just bite the bullet on the price. You can occasionally find them online for around $350, I guess Ill have to hold off on buying those airsoft guns

These XTR's are just so damn finicky and the shims move around so it starts affecting windage too.