The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 10, 2019, 09:56 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Guys... tell me not to get a Phoenix HP22

I'm into smaller sized .22 pistols, have the Taurus PT22, it's okay, but that DAO trigger makes shooting it accurately and quickly a challenge. Also, it's stuck with a 7 or 8 rd magazine.

So, I was thinking about other .22's with an exposed hammer that are either DA/SA or SAO and remembered that the Phoenix is a hammer fired pistol. I like that, it means if there's a light strike I can cock the hammer with my thumb to fire it again for a second strike. It also holds 10 rounds in the mag, but the pistol isn't a full size pistol, it's very much a pocket pistol, just very heavy at 20oz.

At $120, it's tough not to be interested in them, but nobody seems to talk about them. I know the things got a bunch safeties and require engaging the safety to remove the magazine, but it can't be any slower than the PT22 I have.

These Phoenix .22's worth getting?
Old August 11, 2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Targa

I have one and enjoy it. As you mentioned, the safeties are ridiculous but you can bypass the magazine safety if you choose. The recoil springs are pretty light, I buy extra ones (they are very inexpensive) and change them out every thousand rounds or so, I also only shoot standard velocity .22’s (CCI and Aquila) through it per manufacturer recommendations to avoid any frame rail cracking issues that you here about.
Old August 11, 2019, 09:57 AM   #3
osbornk

I bought a HP-22 when ammo was hard to find and I could not find the SV ammo it recommended. Instead, I shot the slowest HV ammo I could find. I "disabled" the magazine safety by bending a little part. I shot it a lot and found it both accurate and very reliable. I shot it about 3,500 rounds or so and saw that the slide had cracked. With the lifetime warranty, I called them but didn't expect them to help me because I had been using the improper ammo. However, they didn't ask me anything about the ammo I used and they asked me to mail them the damaged slide. I mailed it to them on Friday and I got a new one in the mail the very next Friday. I was amazed that the slide made it from Virginia to California and back to me in a week along with them processing the warranty claim. I sold it to my sister-in-law only because I bought a Ruger Mk III 22/45 to replace it before I called them.
Old August 11, 2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Got one with the range kit add-on. Spend your money elsewhere. Aside from the safety overkill, the recoil design is crap. No recoil guide. The spring has a tendency to bunch up inside. It's a cute gun for sure, but go with a Neos, SR22 or TX22.
Old August 11, 2019, 01:04 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Not interested in the 5 inch "range kit" barrel, don't need it and what I'm looking for is a smaller .22 semi auto. I have the SR22, great gun, larger than what I'd like for any carry purpose. I also have the PT22, but the trigger is DAO and holds 8 rds, not 10. The DAO is good in some aspects, but bad for any attempt at accurate shooting further than 10 yards.

If all I need to buy is extra recoil springs and change them out every 1000 rds, I'm fine with that.
Old August 11, 2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

What you need to do is practice with your Taurus, if it's reliable.
I can't recommend carrying the Phoenix.
If you have to change recoil springs every 1000 rounds, either the gun is improperly designed, or the springs are junk.
Old August 11, 2019, 03:03 PM   #7
TruthTellers

I looked on the website, they sell 5 packs of the recoil springs for $6, so a little over a buck a spring. Even if they are junk, they don't cost much. Mags are $13, holster is $12... I think I'm getting one.

Even if it's not great, at least the price reflects that. There have been worse pistols made recently that cost far more.
Old August 11, 2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Targa

Just to add, changing the springs every 1,000 rounds or so is what I do only because the springs are so cheap and they seem to be the weak link, its probably overkill.
Old August 11, 2019, 05:23 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Well, the springs absorb some amount of recoil, so when they lose tension over time that means more force is being transmitted into the frame and slide, which are zamak and zamak doesn't last long when that happens. Also, it probably doesn't hurt having a fresh spring in every 1000 rds for reliability sake.
Old August 11, 2019, 05:30 PM   #10
John D

Sounds like you've already talked yourself into this pistol anyway. Spend your $120 (+$6 for springs!). If it turns out to be a piece of junk, it won't affect your life in a significant way, I'm thinking.

I buy quality tools - but, there are times when I pick up a tool at Harbor Freight that I'm only going to use once in a blue moon. Maybe this is your Harbor Freight pistol.......
Old August 11, 2019, 06:33 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Properly made springs don't get weak, unless they are about to break.
Old August 11, 2019, 07:05 PM   #12
OneFreeTexan

I got a Phoenix ‘kit’ and love it.. I don’t use it for carry, I have other guns for that,,but it is so much fun to shoot,, I change the barrels now and then,,,and I think it’s a lot of gun for the money,,
Very happy with mine,,
Old August 11, 2019, 07:55 PM   #13
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
Just to add, changing the springs every 1,000 rounds or so is what I do only because the springs are so cheap and they seem to be the weak link, its probably overkill.
I shot my HP-22 over 3,500 rounds on the original springs with no problems. I changed to a new one only because they sent some with the replacement slide they furnished under warranty.
Old August 11, 2019, 08:04 PM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

One year I walked in to my local range. Right when I was signing up they told me my Yearly membership was going to expire. The told me that they had a sale, that if I purchased a gun, my renewal would be 50% off. Ok, I said, What is the cheapest gun you have. They Pointed to a few one of which was a Phoenix HPA. I though it looked cool. That Sig 238 or small 1911 style. Felt really good in my hand. I have to admit, that I did not know a thing about them. I asked the price and they Said $85.00. Deal I said.

Now I like pocket guns. I I wanted a small barrel ".trainer". Well, after all is said, I fell in love with this gun. I mean I had a grand time shooting and training with it. It was super reliable. I got to the point that I would take about 9 small 3" reactive targets, paste them on a standard target and try and get all of them as fast as I could pull the trigger.
And on a good day I could do it. For 10 year now I have been shooting that gun along with a second one I bought later for around $125.00.

One magazine did a test of different 22.cals and said. "We first did not think we were going to like this gun. But when it out shot guns costing 4 times a much, it really got our attention"!

I have to agree. I love these guns. One of the best dollar to dollar investments I have made.

If you want to train your POINT and SHOOT Skills and have a whole of fun, then Get a Phoenix. And It comes with a life time warranty. I have shot thousands of rounds out of these guns and they keep on truck-en.
PS The Customer service is great! And Parts are inexpensive.

Do not listen to some of the other post. Springs last a long time and nothing to replace. Email me if you get one and I will give you a easy fix for the double safety. Do not invest in the long barrel, just not worth it. I rarely use it. The spring will bind when you are new if you do not know how to use one or do not shoot one. I have a Ruger SR22 but would trade it off well before the Phoenix. The Phoenix is a very dependable, reliable 22.cal.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 11, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old August 11, 2019, 09:54 PM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into this pistol anyway. Spend your $120 (+$6 for springs!). If it turns out to be a piece of junk, it won't affect your life in a significant way, I'm thinking.

I buy quality tools - but, there are times when I pick up a tool at Harbor Freight that I'm only going to use once in a blue moon. Maybe this is your Harbor Freight pistol.......
My Harbor Freight pistol I bought was two years ago when I stupidly bought an over/under Cobray derringer to have a .410 handgun. I instantly regretted it, but it still shoots, I just don't like shooting it.

Sometimes we just do dumb things.

At least with the Phoenix, it seems they work fine and people really like them. Given the size, mag capacity, and cheap ammo it shoots, I don't see it being a bigger disaster than the Cobray, plus it's $100 cheaper than the Cobray I bought.
Old August 11, 2019, 10:12 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
One year I walked in to my local range. Right when I was signing up they told me my Yearly membership was going to expire. The told me that they had a sale, that if I purchased a gun, my renewal would be 50% off. Ok, I said, What is the cheapest gun you have. They Pointed to a few one of which was a Phoenix HPA. I though it looked cool. That Sig 238 or small 1911 style. Felt really good in my hand. I have to admit, that I did not know a thing about them. I asked the price and they Said $85.00. Deal I said.

Now I like pocket guns. I I wanted a small barrel ".trainer". Well, after all is said, I fell in love with this gun. I mean I had a grand time shooting and training with it. It was super reliable. I got to the point that I would take about 9 small 3" reactive targets, paste them on a standard target and try and get all of them as fast as I could pull the trigger.
And on a good day I could do it. For 10 year now I have been shooting that gun along with a second one I bought later for around $125.00.

One magazine did a test of different 22.cals and said. "We first did not think we were going to like this gun. But when it out shot guns costing 4 times a much, it really got our attention"!

I have to agree. I love these guns. One of the best dollar to dollar investments I have made.

If you want to train your POINT and SHOOT Skills and have a whole of fun, then Get a Phoenix. And It comes with a life time warranty. I have shot thousands of rounds out of these guns and they keep on truck-en.
PS The Customer service is great! And Parts are inexpensive.

Do not listen to some of the other post. Springs last a long time and nothing to replace. Email me if you get one and I will give you a easy fix for the double safety. Do not invest in the long barrel, just not worth it. I rarely use it. The spring will bind when you are new if you do not know how to use one or do not shoot one. I have a Ruger SR22 but would trade it off well before the Phoenix. The Phoenix is a very dependable, reliable 22.cal.

When I think of some of the really cheap pistols, I'm talking less than Hi Point in price, when I see what's available, stuff like Cobra and Jimenez, those are really low quality guns that are chambered in calibers way too big and stressful on the pot metal frames and slides.

Also, those companies make a few different designs and maybe they stretch themselves thin, but Phoenix makes two pistols that use a lot of the same parts, and they're comfortable with the segment of the market they have. Phoenix doesn't try to be something they're not.

On the point shooting, that's one reason I got the PT22, but the reason I'm into the Phoenix is it's got a shorter SA trigger pull and I think that can only help make shooting a small .22 shoot better.

I agree on the 5 inch barrel, I don't see myself ever shooting with it that much.
Old August 11, 2019, 10:40 PM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
When I think of some of the really cheap pistols, I'm talking less than Hi Point in price, when I see what's available, stuff like Cobra and Jimenez, those are really low quality guns that are chambered in calibers way too big and stressful on the pot metal frames and slides.

Also, those companies make a few different designs and maybe they stretch themselves thin, but Phoenix makes two pistols that use a lot of the same parts, and they're comfortable with the segment of the market they have. Phoenix doesn't try to be something they're not.

On the point shooting, that's one reason I got the PT22, but the reason I'm into the Phoenix is it's got a shorter SA trigger pull and I think that can only help make shooting a small .22 shoot better.

I agree on the 5 inch barrel, I don't see myself ever shooting with it that much.
Have to say, the trigger is really nice on the Phoenix. And so are the sights. I like to take both and my son and I will compete with each other on some of the drills. Really love the drill where we place 9 small 3" reactive targets and set a timer. The Phoenix loves cheap ammo. I do not shoot any HYPER velocity ammo out of the gun.
I love shooting pocket guns. One of my favorite is the LCR22. I would like to get the P22 because of the DAO since many of my pocket guns are the same.
If you decide to get one, send me a email and I will have some tips for you.
Thanks for the post.
PS How do you like the P22? I have always meant to get one.
Old August 11, 2019, 11:26 PM   #18
TruthTellers

PT22 is an older, metal frame model. I think the mags are the weak point of the design, but they could just be worn. I should buy a new mag for it and try it. Other than that, the DAO trigger isn't terribly heavy, in fact it's really smooth, just very long.
Old August 25, 2019, 10:10 PM   #19
HisSoldier

Quote:
force is being transmitted into the frame and slide, which are zamak and zamak doesn't last long when that happens.
I think I looked over a Pheonix at a gun show, looking for it to be made of Zamak, but they sure did a good job of faking stainless if it was.
If it IS Zamak I agree with you, buying a zinc alloy gun is like throwing money away IMHO, and some Zamak guns have been sold with proud old names on them, a trend that shows the moral degeneration of our country.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 26, 2019, 01:48 AM   #20
Bill DeShivs

The guns are Zamak. Zamak can be plated to look like stainless.
Old August 26, 2019, 08:22 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

They are a good gun for the money.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 26, 2019, 08:41 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
more force is being transmitted into the frame and slide, which are zamak and zamak doesn't last long when that happens.
You obviously haven seen the Hi-Point torture tests by iraqveteran8888 on youtube.

The Beretta 21a Bobcat, which Taurus based the PT22 on is a DA/SA tip barrel. But still doesn't add those couple rounds, for what ever little value that is. But MSRP is over $400.
Old August 26, 2019, 11:33 AM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
You obviously haven seen the Hi-Point torture tests by iraqveteran8888 on youtube.

The Beretta 21a Bobcat, which Taurus based the PT22 on is a DA/SA tip barrel. But still doesn't add those couple rounds, for what ever little value that is. But MSRP is over $400.
The Hi Point's frame is polymer, not zamak. The slide is zamak tho.

The Beretta is typical Beretta mousegun price and I've heard it's problematic. The only Beretta mousegun I'd buy is the 950, but I'm not into spending more than $250 for a .25, not when .22 is more powerful and the .32 is out there.
Old August 26, 2019, 11:49 AM   #24
Schlitz 45

I'd hold out for the rare pearl handle Raven for the extra dollar
Old August 26, 2019, 01:03 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The Hi Point's frame is polymer, not zamak. The slide is zamak tho
Yes, but,
Quote:
more force is being transmitted into the frame and slide,
Your quote.
That ZAMAK slide took punishment by the guys at iraqveteran8888 that not many guns are subjected to anywhere.
In addition to some poly/ZAMAK guns I have a couple Rough Riders, and an Iver Johnson TP22 that is a PPK look alike. The frames have never been an issue.