The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2015, 12:50 AM   #126
idek

Quote:
I have a 20" mossberg 500a but the safety was warn out and would bump itself on while firing. I had a gunsmith fix it but then it would occasionally have cycling problems....
Are you implying that the work on the safety caused the cycling problems? If so, I don't know how that would be possible. Whatever the case, my first question when people mention cycling problems with any shotgun is "Were you shooting cheap Winchester target loads?"

I've had shells get stuck in both a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. In some cases, I had to tap them out by putting a cleaning rod down the barrel. In every instance, those Winchester shells were the culprit. Seems other people have had the same issue. The brass must not be consistent in diameter.
Old December 18, 2015, 01:18 AM   #127
elano

thanks for the reply, good to know!! I bough some remington buckshot I will give a try and see if that fixes the issue. Winchester ammo has really gone downhill.
Old December 18, 2015, 03:34 AM   #128
gyvel

Elano, Replace the cheap Mossberg plastic button with a metal one.

And, if you want something cheap and reliable, get a Pardner.

If you don't want to do that, start looking around in your local pawn shops and find an old Hi-Standard Flite King pump or one of the H-S house brands (J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Revelation, etc.). I've scored two this year for $100.00 each.
SIFE