The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #76
oneounceload

For that stock to equal both the barrel weight, mag weight and 7 rounds, that would make the gun weighing about 12 pounds or so.....guess I am missing something there, LarryH
Old February 22, 2012, 10:20 PM   #77
NoirFan

Quote:
This is how I roll. 590A1 with NOS wood furniture from Havlins.

Shoots/points great with the cut-down stock & thick Limbsaver pad. Simple & classy, to me. Everything it needs to be & nothing that it doesn't.
Crazy Carl is offline Report Post
I have to say, that is a great looking and functioning setup you have there. Modern sights combined with old-school class.
Old February 22, 2012, 10:25 PM   #78
hoytinak

My Mossberg 500 is about as tacticool as it gets for me....

I've tried just about every "tactical" style stock for it trying to make it the perfect HD shotgun but finally came back around to just shortening the factory wood stock a little to fit me better. I should have just gone this from the beginning, would have saved myself lots of cash and headaches.

Old February 22, 2012, 10:38 PM   #79
larryh1108

Quote:
For that stock to equal both the barrel weight, mag weight and 7 rounds, that would make the gun weighing about 12 pounds or so.....guess I am missing something there, LarryH
I don't understand your math. The Mossberg in stock size goes ~7#. The shorter barrel and longer mag tube and useless heat shield should even out though the barrel weighs more per inch. Add the weight of the red dot (approx 4oz per mfg specs) and the difference in the stock weight (<16oz) as well as the rounds in the tube and you get 5# more? Every shotgun has added weight from the ammo.

I don't get your point. I'm sorry but what are you trying to say? If you don't like my setup, that's cool. I happen to like it and it has a good feel to me, which is what counts.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:50 AM   #80
WV_gunner

For home defense I just use a Stoegor Condor 12 gauge with an elastic shell holder filled with 000. In my mind, I guess the ultimate home defense shotgun would be a Saiga 12.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:40 PM   #81
Rick W

My penny's worth of lead

New here, so I figured I'd say Hello world with a post.

Retired USMC armorer.
I was intro'd to what has become my scare tactic of choice when I was in Europe and did some shooting with a club with some former East German/ Wall Guards.
Wife and I spend 10 months a year traveling now in our motorhome, so space is important.
Check out the Baikal MP 153, semi 12. With the UAG Remington 870 12 Gauge Shotgun Ultimate Tactical Conversion Kit. I have a Tactical Home Defense weapon in the coach that has maximum fear factor, small footprint in closet and insane stopping power. With the 9 round tube I brought back from Germany, and 2 5 round clips. ( Yep clip ) Twice when pulled out and lite the red dot on the nether regions of someone's pants, who were trying to open one of my coachs compartments. I don't think "backing away slowly" describes the removal of their scranny thieving butts from my view.
Go to that youtube place and type in Baikal MP 153, there's a minute long video of a shooter unloading 9 rounds in about 10 seconds. I think I've done a little better at the range.
Ok There's my 11 cents worth. Howdy Firing Line World. Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baikal on Culpepper.JPG (39.2 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Rick W; February 27, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:55 AM   #82
tirod

Quote:
I like Pump Action because they do have an edge over Semi-Auto's as far as their reliability is concerned. 18" barrels are plenty enough for self defense, and the shorter a gun is the easier it is to manuver in confined areas. Capacity is not such a big issue for home protection. Matters of course would be different if you were a Law Enforcement Officer though.
Well, that does bring up the KSG, which Keltec has been working on and is now shipping.

For those who can bear to look at a tactical shotgun: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/

Right now, it's considered the "elephant in the room" kind of gun when self defense is brought up. Whether it becomes a bestseller, don't know, nor will everyone find it to their liking. Keltec has a tendency to beta test the first owners, and those buyers should expect it. Hopefully they can be spared some of that.

More knowledgeable shotgunners than me have suggested it could be a gamechanger - remains to be seen, of course. I doubt all and sundry will toss their existing scatterguns in the closest dumpster after they see it. Some will even snicker.

I speculate, but I think it will have an impact. It may not ever become an issue LEO/MIL gun, but it's now entirely possible one like it would be. The concept is out there, and someone will worry it to death with continued development until it's done right - assuming it isn't. The advantages that would make a tactical bullpup rifle carry over, with the huge improvement that there isn't a horrible mag change issue. It's a pump with more than enough ammo.

I can't possibly believe there aren't TAC teams frothing at the chance to evaluate one. The word is going to get out exactly how it does. Who knows, it might actually be affordable some day! Yes, there is that, you could buy two 870's for the price.

It will be interesting to revisit this topic in five years. In the meantime, I've got a 870 express I'd like to cautiously modify, thanks for all the tips here.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #83
oneounceload

Quote:
I'm sorry but what are you trying to say? If you don't like my setup, that's cool.
Not saying that at all, and if it works for you, that's great! I was trying to figure out how it could be "balanced" when so much of the weight is up front
Old February 29, 2012, 12:02 PM   #84
zippy13

Quote:
It will be interesting to revisit this topic in five years.
Yes, indeed.
I'm still having trouble with references to "classic" "tac guns" -- IMHO, the terms are mutually exclusive.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #85
larryh1108

That KSG looks BA! I will buy one some day when the kinks are worked out and it is as reliable as a HD shotgun needs to be. Maybe the price will be lower as well. Maybe 2 years? The mag capacity is what intrigues me. Will this open up the market to similar designs? KTs seem to be copied a lot for some reason. Ruger may come out with one is a few years too! :wink:
Old February 29, 2012, 12:26 PM   #86
zippy13

Quote:
Ruger may come out with one is a few years too!
Yep, but their legal department will require the twin mags to be limited to one shell each.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:07 AM   #87
Marquezj16

My Choice

Weatherby PA459 TR
Old March 2, 2012, 05:01 PM   #88
sir_n0thing

Yeah, the Kel-Tec is the height of TactiKewl...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHkXTTR0OsA

I'd personally rather have a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 myself. KISS
Old April 17, 2012, 09:04 PM   #89
casper147

savage

can anyone tell me anything about the savage 320 shotgun home defense 18.5 barrel length 6 shot they have them at a local gun shop for $199 are they worth the money or should i buy a better shotgun??
Old April 17, 2012, 09:31 PM   #90
casper147

savage 320

what about the savage 320 how good or bad are they anyone know anything about them??
Old April 18, 2012, 01:49 PM   #91
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Here's my take.

Some of the Third World pumpguns are serviceable weapons. Many are not and some already have support issues.

Charles Daley was a major importer of Turkish made shotguns and when they closed up, maybe 80K of shotgun owners found themselves way up a creek minus paddles.

OTOH, there's used US made 500s, 870s, 37s and 1300s out there in abundance for about the same money. None of those companies is likely to fold up, dry out and blow away. Parts and tech support should be there for another generation or three.

I'd go with those.....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:34 AM   #92
wwwprof

While it is not inexpensive, I have a Benelli M4. Ultra reliable, have not had any cycling issues and is very accurate.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:40 PM   #93
IMTHDUKE

If your riding coach and in the shotgun seat.....the one the Duke would choose....

Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old May 5, 2012, 07:32 PM   #94
C0untZer0

The UTS 15 looks pretty cool

I'd want to get some range reports from owners though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnyRnjI7OiA

Old May 5, 2012, 07:36 PM   #95
C0untZer0

Ha ha...

I just listened to the You Tube video again and I swear the narrator says "... with the magazines above the barrel, muzzle climb is almost non-resistant."

Uh... does that mean that the muzzle climb can't be counter-acted?

Aim Low !!!

Old May 6, 2012, 08:39 AM   #96
Bushmaster1313

The one you will enjoy shooting the most (it will get you to the range more often)