The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2010, 08:44 PM   #101
JeffLrrp

My jury is still out on the whole Pardner Pump thing. Bought mine about 4-5 months ago, and immediately had problems with it out of teh box. Good thing though is that H&R/NEF/MARLIN paid for the shipping and got in back in a week. Firing pin spring and shell latch had to be replaced.

I like the gun, I really do. Heavy, so it soaks up recoil well. And unlike my rust-o-matic Express 20ga, it keeps well. Plus, it feels real solid and parts interchange with the 870's.

I just think I need to break it in some more (probably have close to 200-300 shells through it though) and smooth it up with more use. One problem still remains: after a shell is fired and I rack the pump arm back to chamber another shell, there sometimes is a slight bit of resistance. Like right at the very beginning of the whole motion. It kinda throws me off. Its not enough to worry me during practice, but enough that Im not using it as a bedside gun until I can figure out the problem.

Anybody understand what Im talking about?
Old April 19, 2010, 07:02 AM   #102
MAX100

Quote:
after a shell is fired and I rack the pump arm back to chamber another shell, there sometimes is a slight bit of resistance. Like right at the very beginning of the whole motion. It kinda throws me off. Its not enough to worry me during practice, but enough that Im not using it as a bedside gun until I can figure out the problem.
I sounds like the ejector isn't broke in yet. Over time the ejector gets bent down level so there isn't much resistance to overcome. Also the bolt as it goes back cocks the hammer. This is the same on a Remington 870 as well. I slide a small screw under the ejector as far it will go without much force and take my finger and slightly bend it down a little. You have to be very careful. Don't do it if you don't much experience with working on shotguns. You can very easily damage it.

Do a google search on how slick the action up on an 870. Should be plenty of info. After smoothing up the action on my Protector it's slick as glass and I have only fired about thousand shell in it.

GC
Old April 19, 2010, 08:24 AM   #103
Xfire68

I wish I could buy American everything! I just can't! :barf: About 7-8 years ago I went on a mission to find cloths made in the US of A at a number of retail stores and after 4 days of searching I could not find any! Not one pair of jeans not one T-shirt not one anything at the local stores! I could however find some online that were reasonably priced but I would like to try them on to be sure they fit!!!!!:barf: SOB! Please please bring the tariffs back! Free trade will kill us all!

As for guns I too am one that would rather buy a good used American made gun at a price I can afford then buy anything from overseas regardless of how well they "might" be made. My 1974 Winchester Model 1400 which I traded for another American made gun is still going strong! Got to love the oldies!
Old April 19, 2010, 04:06 PM   #104
nixterdemus

I bought a 20 gauge O/U, yute mod, Turkish Yildiz from Academy Sports.

I also bought a CD Turkish, 20 gauge, semi-auto from Waly-World that was a display model.

I'm happy as a clam w/price, fit & function of both.

YMMV

My last buy was a Stevens 311.

I'm sure, compared to these other two, that it'll feel like a lead pipe.

That's OK, I like diversity...
Old April 21, 2010, 08:52 AM   #105
nefprotector

Update on my cheap NEF

I bought mine back in Feb 2010. It Reached 1000 rds this morning. Assorted loads from birdshot, buckshot, slugs, exotic loads. No problems.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:16 PM   #106
nefprotector

Well I'll be darn if I brag again. I cleaned the NEF; went out back to fire off a couple of Remington 12 ga, 3in mag 00 Buck. The darn thing jammed on me the last two rounds. It is only doing it with the last two rounds of 3in mags. I fired off 2 3/4 in 00 Buck with no problems. Info?
Old April 21, 2010, 02:18 PM   #107
zippy13

nefprotector, it sounds like you mag spring is weak/worn out. When you get down to the last rounds there's not enough compression remaining in the spring to function properly. You might consider an extra power magazine spring for less than $10. Check with the folks at Wolff Gunsprings.
Old April 21, 2010, 06:03 PM   #108
nefprotector

Thanks for the info Zippy13, Very much appreciated. It just started it today using 3in mags. 2 3/4in work just fine. But Ill buy a few extra springs.