The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2019, 06:01 AM   #1
Logs

M1 Garand ejecting clip after 3-4 rounds

Took the Garand out last weekend and the clip was ejecting after 3-4 rounds. Did some searching and figured it may be the clip latch spring so I replaced it now twice. This week I picked up a new clip latch and op rod spring and still have the same issues.

*So far I have used multiple clips - Ones on the Greek ammo and Ones that came from CMP with the Garand.
*Two different Clip Latch Springs.
*New Op rod spring
*Replaced Clip Latch and pin

Yesterday three rounds on two clips and ammo would pop up, but not ping out. Then the third clip was able to make it to round four before coming up and sitting in the receiver.

Not sure what to try next???????
Old October 14, 2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Bart B.

You need one of these gauges to check the clip eject timing.

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand...ing-bloc1.html

Sometimes a new op rod arm is needed. There's a couple other fixes I now forget.

Contact Fulton Armory about the fix.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 14, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old October 14, 2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Nodak1858

Check this out,
https://m1-garand-rifle.com/garand-troubleshooting.php
Old October 14, 2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

This may be redundant with respect to the linked-to information, but what op-rod spring are you using? A number of folks have experienced timing issues with weak old springs or, at the other extreme, with the Wolff extra power Garand op-rod springs. Garandgear.com has new op-rod springs custom-wound that match the original military new spring specs for size, strength, mass, and spring factor.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 14, 2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Logs

Thanks for the links. I'll look into it.

As for the op rod spring I picked it up at the Machine Gun Shoot at Knob Creek this weekend. It's a stainless new manufacture don't know the brand.
Old October 14, 2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Nodak1858

I would check the nub height on the bullet guide. Believe it should be around .179.
Old October 15, 2019, 05:09 AM   #7
Orlando

First make sure you are using USGI enblocs
Scond- as suggested measure lobe on bullet guide or replace
Old October 15, 2019, 01:53 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Covered in the trouble shooting chapter of Hatcher's Book of the Garand.
Also in TM-23-5 and TM-9-1275(That is not an "Ordanance" anything) found here. Might take some rummaging in the TM.
Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
It's clearly not the clip latch or its spring. Or the op-rod spring. I suspect it'll be the follower arm being bent.
Old October 15, 2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Depending on when you bought the M1 from the CMP and if it's under a warranty, contact them.
They will probably help you diagnose the problem and may send you new parts or offer to repair it.
Old October 17, 2019, 12:19 AM   #10
DnPRK

Nodak1858 got it. Replace the bullet guide.
Old October 29, 2019, 05:23 AM   #11
Logs

Bullet Guide fixed it. Runs fine now. THANK YOU
Old October 29, 2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Brit

Not sure if it is true, I heard the General who ditched the idea of magazines? Because it was more difficult to drill with magazine-fed rifles? Was not Court Marshalled, and drummed out of his job! If it was true? How many deaths could be credited to the 8 at a time feed, and ping when the clip bounses off a rock?

My mark 4 Enfield had a ten-round magazine, plus you could feed .303 rimmed rounds, singly, or 5 at a time. All whilst being prone. Fastest bolt action around.

And those magazines were hefty. Steel.
Old October 29, 2019, 11:21 AM   #13
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
My mark 4 Enfield had a ten-round magazine, plus you could feed .303 rimmed rounds, singly, or 5 at a time. All whilst being prone. Fastest bolt action around.

And those magazines were hefty. Steel.
Ever watched a USA NRA highpower competitive shooter in a rapid fire match reloading pre '64 Winchester 70 nine times in 43 seconds putting 10 shots inside 4 inches at 200 or 300 yards from 30-06 ammo? Last 5 rounds charged the magazine from a stripper clip.
Old October 29, 2019, 04:14 PM   #14
Brit

Bart sounds great, I was just a Signalman. 19 years of age, good luck to the fine USA competitors!

How about the no magazines, just stripper 8 round clips? So drills could be done, any truth in that?
Old October 29, 2019, 09:05 PM   #15
Nodak1858

The ping signaling the enemy to attach is a myth that keeps going. Much like frozen coats will stop a 30 carbine bullet.
Old October 29, 2019, 09:06 PM   #16
Nodak1858

Plus dumping in a enbloc is fast, having someone jump up and run at you would be met with another 8 rounds of 30 cal real fast.
Fellow here is pretty quick and I'm sure living with a Garand for months on end GIs could do it faster.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTJOz1XFGA
Old October 30, 2019, 04:35 AM   #17
Brit

Just spent a half-hour? With Hicock 45, very interesting. Where he showed the Garand/M14 side by side. I now have a much better idea of the two operating systems.

One issue was shown if you only had one twenty round magazine! And lost it, or it became inoperable, for whatever reason? You were really screwed!

A bag, or pocket full of 8 round clips, which the ammunition was issued in, you were good to go. And loading single rounds or from 5 round clips was possible.

The difference in weight between the M16 and the .30 calibre rifles, really was significant. Especially in the heat and humidity of a jungle.
Old October 31, 2019, 11:17 AM   #18
Bart B.

Best example of Garand's rapid fire abilities is when one is used to shoot 24 rounds into a one foot group in 50 seconds. At 600 yards. Centered on a silhouette target.
Old November 2, 2019, 06:00 AM   #19
Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
Best example of Garand's rapid fire abilities is when one is used to shoot 24 rounds into a one foot group in 50 seconds. At 600 yards. Centered on a silhouette target.
That is incredible! Fast forward to the M16! Twenty round magazine, full of 5.56 wee bullets, at nearly 3000 ft per second! Held over cover, then empty magazine, on full auto.
A military peep sight, so precise.