The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 12, 2006, 09:37 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Getting a Mac-10. What can I add?

Other than a suppressor, what useful goodies can I add. I have only shot a few machine-guns before (MP-5s, Berettas, etc) so I am basically new to this. I think a fixed stock might be nice. Who makes quality accessories? What do I need to know?
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old February 12, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Depends upon what you want to do with it. The Mac 10s are the 870s of the FA world. They can be left stock or tricked out for competition. There is an article in the newest SAR about a tricked out slowfire conversion on a MAC.
Some of the available accessories are full-sized stocks, front grips, suppressors, caliber changes, slowfire conversions etc.
Old February 12, 2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Greg Bell

I think I might want a quality folder and good sights. How much is a slowfire conversion?
Old February 13, 2006, 02:02 AM   #4
shaggy

Greg -

First, what type and caliber MAC did you get? (Powder Springs, Texas, Jersey, SWD, etc.)? Its important because some people refer to any MAC type gun as a "MAC-10", and depending upon exactly which kind of MAC you got, the answer for accessories can differ. For example, if you got an original MAC-10 in 9mm, I'd strongly suggest you first contact someone like Craig Wheatley who can modify the grip frame to take the less expensive Sten or M11 type mags rather than the rare and expensive original types very similar to MPK/MPL mags which usually run about $100 each. Accessories are nice, but a good supply of mags is a must. If you got a Powder Springs .45, you probably won't need a rate reducer as much since they are already considerably slower than a 9mm gun. If its an SWD, you can reduce the rate by about 100-150 rpm by simply adding a semi-auto hammer and hammer spring.

One accessory that I think is made for all of them that I think is a lot of fun is the MAC-Jack buffer sold by Wheatley. Its a thick rubber buffer that increases the RoF. In an SWD, you can reach about 1800rpm and empty a mag before the first empty shell hits the ground. Its an incredible waste of ammo, but you won't be able to stop giggling like an idiot.

Rich Lage's Max-11 upper appears to be a good accessory for the SWD M11, though not many have shipped yet, and I haven't heard much about them. He's also got some nice looking options for stocks. www.max-11.com

http://www.stonycreekarmory.com also has some good looking upers with HK type sights and drum conversions.

A good forward grip is also a great idea - I think stoneycreek has them too.
Old February 13, 2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Greg Bell

It is a powder springs .45.
Old February 14, 2006, 12:12 PM   #6
shaggy

The PS guns are great - king of the MAC types. They're built like tanks and one of the most recognizable subguns of all time. I don't care what anyone says, the PS MAC-10 is a true classic. All the other MAC types are just copies of it

A forward grip might be a good idea for better control, but if you have a good wooden stock even with the flexible nylon front strap you can have pretty good control. I don't know where you can get a wooden stock anymore, but I friend of mine has one on his PS MAC-10, and its not really so complicated you couldn't make one yourself. Basically get a spare wire stock (or even just the rails from the stock) and use a bolt or screw to attach a wooden stock of your own. You could probably made or modify a wooden stock from a cheap AK stock.

You probably wouldn't need a rate reducer, and unless you could find one designed as a completely drop-in upper for the MAC-10, I wouldn't bother. The rate reducing uppers I know of are all for the SWD M11 guns, and while you could do a TASK-style rate reduction system on a PS MAC-10, that conversion requires you to drill a small hole in the rear of the receiver. Since the PS MACs are becomming collector's items, I don't think I'd advise any permanent modification of the lower receiver like that. An SWD M11 might be a different story, but I wouldn't mess with a PS MAC.

Other than a good solid stock, a suppressor would be top of my list. The suppressor will make it even more controllable and eliminate the need for any kind of k-grip. And besides, while a MAC-10 is a classic, a MAC-10 with a suppressor is just more so.

Stoneycreek has some good uppers, but I'd leave the original upper on the gun as is, and buy one of the stoneycreek uppers with the HK sights and a side-cocker as a spare/extra upper. Try to get a spare bolt so you have two seperate and complete upper units for it. Use one as a real shooter with good sights and maybe a rail for a red dot, and the original upper for the classic, crude, down-and-dirty MAC-10 look and style.

Try to get some spare parts or a complete parts set. Other that that, all I would add is ammo...and lots of it.

BTW - post some pics if you have any!
Old February 14, 2006, 02:41 PM   #7
DBOUNCE1

Stupid question i know, But can someone please explain what slow fire conversion is
Old February 14, 2006, 02:42 PM   #8
DBOUNCE1

sorry forgot to subscribe