The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2019, 02:23 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Lee 3 or 4 die set for 10mm?

Birthday coming up, going to use the Midway discount. Getting into semi auto pistol reloading, mostly just focus on revolvers currently, so I'm getting a .32 ACP die set, but also a die set for 10mm & .40 S&W.

What I'm not sure about tho is should I get the 3 die set or 4 die set? Difference in price is $13 and I'm not so sure I need the factory crimp die.

Pistols the ammo will be shot in is Glocks, if that makes any difference.
Old August 19, 2019, 04:53 AM   #2
wild willy

What press you loading on?
Old August 19, 2019, 07:06 AM   #3
lee n. field

Get the 4 die set.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 19, 2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The Factory Crimp die will let you crimp separately from seating, which target shooters have long agreed improves accuracy and reduces lead shaving, especially inside the seating die. The carbide ring on the Factory Crimp die will guarantee diametric fit. The extra die isn't strictly necessary but it does add those two features.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 19, 2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I reload several handgun calibers using Lee dies. For all the semi-autos, I've been using the 4-die sets with the factory crimp die for years. I like the ability to seat and crimp in separate steps.
Jeepaholic
Old August 19, 2019, 11:04 AM   #6
RGRacing

4 Die for sure - 40 S&W Dies reload 10mm as well -
Old August 19, 2019, 12:37 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
What press you loading on?
Currently have a 4 hole LCT, may get the Lee Breech Lock progressive in the future tho.
Old August 19, 2019, 12:38 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
The Factory Crimp die will let you crimp separately from seating, which target shooters have long agreed improves accuracy and reduces lead shaving, especially inside the seating die. The carbide ring on the Factory Crimp die will guarantee diametric fit. The extra die isn't strictly necessary but it does add those two features.
Well, given these are semi auto cartridges, I'm not looking to shoot anything other than jacketed or plated bullets. With revolvers I'm mainly loading lead bullets and use the 4 die sets for that.
Old August 19, 2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Well, given these are semi auto cartridges, I'm not looking to shoot anything other than jacketed or plated bullets. With revolvers I'm mainly loading lead bullets and use the 4 die sets for that.
I load almost exclusively Berry's plated bullets (except for a few cowboy 6-gun loads once in awhile). Separating the seating and crimping into two steps eliminates breaking through the plating and peeling it back.
Jeepaholic
Old August 19, 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
wild willy

Since you have a 4 hole press might as well use four dies.You can seat and crimp in one step but most like to do it separately
Old August 19, 2019, 02:14 PM   #11
TailGator

Another vote for 4 dies, to separate seating and crimping. LCT is kind of made for the 4-die set, really; you are going to have to pull the handle another time to get back to the resizing/de-priming die anyway, so the pull might as well do something.
Old August 19, 2019, 02:18 PM   #12
kmw1954

I would suggest the 4 die set to start with. As you say the cost is minimal but if you later find you need to add one the cost is much more substantial.

In my case I have been loading on either a Lee Pro1000 or a Lee 3 hole Turret press all using a 3 die set.
I then acquired a 45acp Witness that has a very tight chamber and I was having all sorts of problems trying to get reloads to chamber in this gun. It was suggested to try the FCD and magically all was better and everything worked.
Old August 19, 2019, 05:37 PM   #13
greentick

If you use plated bullets, before using the FCD on a large run, do some test groups. I had a large run of 10mm plated I did that I FCD'd. Was lucky to get minute of silhouette at 25m with many rounds keyholing. Evidently some plated bullets will be "resized" as well by the carbide ring. That said, with FMJs my groups tightened up significantly compared to non FCD groups. Tested with 3-4 different charges to verify, 5 shot groups.
Old August 19, 2019, 06:29 PM   #14
gwpercle

Lee's catalog shows the 4th die will be the Lee Factory Crimp Die .
Lots of people swear by the FCD and when set up you will be able to seat in one step and crimp in the next. Always a good way to do it and having that 4th die means you don't have to stop and re-adjust your seating/crimping die .
When I got all/most of my loading equipment , 60's and 70's , the Lee FCD hadn't been invented so I just used my standard seating/crimping die and adjust it for each operation....
Let your pocket book be your guide...no you don't need the die , I'm loading handguns 50+ years without one...but it may be nice to have .
Gary
Old August 19, 2019, 06:45 PM   #15
Average Joe

I have many Lee die sets, I always get the 4 die set.
Old August 20, 2019, 04:07 AM   #16
TruthTellers

I'll get the 4 die set. Thanks all.