The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 26, 2002, 09:03 PM   #1
Jrob24

my first machine gun shoot

Earlier today I attended a machine gun shoot at the Westfield sportsmens club. I got to fire an ak-47 and a browning 1919 If I had more $ I would've tried the M-60 and the MG42 It was amazing how fast 50 rounds dissapeared downrange! In order to aim up or down I had to turn a knob. Is this typical of machine guns?
Old October 26, 2002, 09:20 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Glad you had fun, jrob. However, be warned; it can be addictive and cause you to own a few.
Old October 27, 2002, 04:50 PM   #3
FPrice

jrob24...

Just saw your post. I went today and had a great time! Hopefully they had such a good turn-out that they do it again. Next time I plan on bringing enough money to get on the M2 .50 cal.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old October 27, 2002, 08:51 PM   #4
aruid

You might be interested in the "other" MA machine gun event I wrote about it in this thread.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...62#post1246462
Old October 28, 2002, 09:36 AM   #5
SDC

"In order to aim up or down I had to turn a knob. Is this typical of machine guns?"

Hi, Jrob. It depends on which type of machinegun you're talking about, and which sort of mount it's on; most tripod-mounted MGs have an elevating mechanism like what you describe, but these are mainly used when the MG is set up in a fortified emplacement, and the terrain is forcing an attacker to cross into a field of fire in front of you. "Flexible" mounts (where you can move the MG around to fire at will) are a lot of fun, but they can also allow the muzzle to point outside the confines of a backstop; that's probably why the MG you shot was "locked down".
Old October 28, 2002, 09:24 PM   #6
Jrob24

Thanks SDC for answering my question. Now I'm wondering if I'll be dissapointed the next time I fire my .22 Well at least I know that $20 worth of .22lr will last more than 20 seconds