The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 9, 2018, 09:23 PM   #51
gunrunner1

At one of my club's 3-gun matches, a number of guys showed up that I had never seen before, and they had quit a few suppressed handguns and rifles. I got to shoot a lot of ammo through them. I've also been able to shoot a .50 BMG, full auto rifles, and a number of other unique firearms.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:08 PM   #52
doofus47

sometimes
Old July 10, 2018, 06:40 PM   #53
insman1132

Only my wife!!
Old July 10, 2018, 08:20 PM   #54
M88

Like many have said... depends on how I size them up. I've gotten pretty good at knowing if they are going to appreciate it or not. I've no problem politely saying no, but more times than not, they "pass" and I do let them shoot. The rifle I get more requests than any other is one of my Garands. I NEVER let anybody that isn't already a Garand owner insert a clip however. Ouch!
Old July 11, 2018, 11:11 AM   #55
RickB

I rarely ever shoot at ranges where I'm in the company of people I don't know, so, anyone shooting my guns is someone I already know, or they've been vetted in advance.

If some random person did express interest, I'd probably let them shoot a mag- or cylinder-full, but it would have to be after more than a little discussion, when I would have a chance to size them up, first.

Something along the lines of, "D*mn, that's loud, can I have a go?" probably wouldn't do it.

If it were more like, "Hi, my dad had a Luger, I remember handling it as a kid, but was never able to shoot it; do you mind . . .", then, after watching how he handled the gun while we discussed it, I'd probably feel good about letting him shoot it.
Old July 15, 2018, 07:17 PM   #56
jackstrawIII

I really really HATE sharing a range with people I don't know. Nothing makes me more nervous. I've just seen too many morons and I don't want any holes in my body.

With that said, I'm very fortunate in that I can shoot my handguns on my own property. I also have a fairly flexible job and do most of my rifle shooting during the day when the range is vacant. If there's anyone there, I leave and come back another time.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:19 PM   #57
HWS

A guy came up to me posing as an expert, "shooting for 40 years". He tried to give me some pointers at hitting a 300 yard target with irons. I had been hitting at 100 and 200 but hearing the gong at 300 was proving elusive. Finally, he asked me to let him shoot my rifle (as if he was going to show me how). He cranked off four rounds which were worse than mine and handed me back the rifle without further comment.

Other than that guys have come up to me selling training and reloads and membership in the range or telling me how to do it. I listen if they are explaining the rules of the range or anything safety-related. Others show off their gun collections which is interesting. I try to just keep my mouth shut and smile as I am just a guest there.

I have been offered shooting a Moisin and Enfield but I declined.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:10 AM   #58
mgulino

As a general rule, no, I would not allow someone else to shoot my guns at the range. The exception is, if it is a family member and we are at the range together. I have let some shoot my guns just to try something different.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:23 AM   #59
craddleshooter

Usually NO, but if they are my friend and I know them in such a way that I’m sure they will take care of my firearm like it’s theirs and won’t do any crazy stuffs then why not...I have shot guns that before to my friends at the range.
Old August 17, 2018, 05:23 AM   #60
TheNatureBoy

I usually go to the range by myself or my long time hunting/reloading mentor. We almost always "squeeze off" a few rounds from each others handgun/rifle. A complete stranger? I usually observe others who are in the lanes next to me. If they measure up to my lofty standards I probably would.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:32 PM   #61
pjh421

I often do. Sometimes though after observing people acting like morons I just pack up and leave in disgust. None the less I'm happy to see people at the range enjoying their 2a rights. And whoever characterized it as Fellowship earlier in this thread hit the nail on the head.
Old August 27, 2018, 01:29 PM   #62
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Never.
Liability concerns.
Perhaps a friendly Felony convict? or
Just one incident to loose all that I have.
Old August 27, 2018, 05:00 PM   #63
Skans

Depends on what range and what gun. If it's at a private, members only range, then sure. And, only guns of mine that are well used. Nothing fancy.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:05 PM   #64
M4BGRINGO

Sometimes, and only at my private range.

I was shooting my 7mm Magnum one day from the bench. Was taking a break and a fellow member came over and asked if I wanted to shoot his Barret 50. I said sure! He showed me how to handle the gun. Put a few shots downrange, pretty easy on the body laying prone. I asked him if he wanted to shoot the 7mm, he said NO WAY! He didn't want to punish his shoulder!
Old August 28, 2018, 07:52 AM   #65
unclejack37

I had a young guy next to me with a new hand gun and was missing low left. He asked me to shoot his gun to see if something was wrong whit his gun. I put 3 shoots in the center at 7 yards. I reloaded his gun with my ammo and a couple of snap caps. Showed him he was flinching and I told him how to breath and let the gun surprise him when it goes bang. He did much better after that and I let him keep the snap caps. Total stranger. I'm glad he didn't ask to shoot my gun I would have said "NO"
Old August 28, 2018, 02:24 PM   #66
JamesTypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
custom bowstrings
You're at the range with a gun the person next to you is admiring. He strikes up a conversation. He asks if he can shoot it?

What do you tell him / her?

Do you have a criteria?

If I'm with a group then no. If i'm shooting alone and have had time to observe others around me then maybe. If they sound like an idiot when it comes to guns when they speak to me then no.
Old August 28, 2018, 03:10 PM   #67
ammo.crafter

try my guns, please

Fellow gun club members are the usual people I allow to use as long as I know them and their safe gun-handling methods.

Anyone know what if any, liability issues could arise if an injury occurs due to use of your gun by some one you allowed to use your gun.
Old August 29, 2018, 05:34 PM   #68
DaleA

I mentioned before that I usually would let someone shoot my guns (with MY ammunition-never theirs because I have no idea what their ammunition REALLY is).

I should qualify this a little bit though. It would be at a commercial indoor range I frequent and I would NOT do it if I had seen them acting like idiots, but that would probably have been noticed by the management before I noticed it. Also I should mention that any gun I have at the range is a shooter and has no collector value and is not at all rare.

I've often seen new shooters with a 9mm auto who have been very appreciative when I let them shoot my .22 (Ruger Mark II Target with a red dot sight---it's heavy and I think that helps with accuracy) or a .357 magnum revolver (a medium frame 4 inch barrel with Pachmayr grips...they are usually surprised a how tame it is). Again, nothing special but since they haven't done much shooting it's a treat for them and a cheap way for me to be a nice guy for a change.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:43 PM   #69
mr bolo

One way of not allowing others at the range to fire your guns, is keep to yourself and dont try to socialize, then they wont ask, the more you talk the more likely they will want to shoot your guns, sometimes they keep talking and talking wasting your time, talking about gun laws , politics, personal problems, etc

I try to stay away from the chatter box range rat types, they spend too much time talking instead of shooting.

the last time I was at the range a guy walks from the far end of the range to see what Im shooting asking a bunch of questions then he puts his dirty hands on my rifle without my permission touching the sights with dusty hands from picking brass off the ground and leaves dirty hand prints on my rifle.

Last edited by mr bolo; August 31, 2018 at 11:57 PM.