The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1
kingudaroad

Holier than thou hunting. Not in Texas!

You see, here in the hill country me and six other friends lease about 2000 acres for about $25,000 per year. The night before opening day we get drunk and party till about midnight. We get up around 5 am feeling pretty salty as you can imagine.
Then we drive our trucks or 4 wheelers up to our fully enclosed elevated blinds, get out our thermos of coffee and wait till its light enough to see. If the temperature were to drop below like 60 degrees we would of course crank up the propane heater.
Well, the feeders eventually go off and it gets light enough to see the deer at the feeders. I have two feeders at my stand and at first light saw at least a dozen different deer. But several others came and went over the course of the morning.
Had a great morning as the rut was on and the bucks were chasing the does and fighting with each other. I saw some big deer but not any that got me excited enough to shoot. Time to go back to camp for a big breakfast and a nap. And I need to remember to bring a couple of cold ones to the stand for the evening hunt.
What a great weekend! I didn't shoot any deer but did shoot a big sow hog on Sunday morning that got skinned and put in the cooler. Maybe next weekend I'll bring my boy up to shoot that ten pointer I passed on.

This post was inspired by those that trashed that kid for being excited about shooting that nice Texas buck a few threads back. If you don't like the way I hunt, who cares.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Tom Matiska

$25,000? ...ouch.... that comes out to almost $3600/hunter
Old November 12, 2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

W.C. Fields suggested that the best way to avoid a hangover is to stay drunk.

Never argue with an expert.

Nickel coffee and twenty-cent gasoline and $300 deer leases. And $500/month salaries for graduate engineers.

It's just paper...

Art
Old November 12, 2007, 06:31 PM   #4
castnblast

My lease was cheaper...didn't get drunk, but had a great time taking my 4 year old hunting. Had a blast sweating my @$$ off in the box blind. Got the little dude up at 4:15...He went all day, no nap. He passed out in the truck on the way home. We did blast a coyote, and my 4 year old had a good time catching catfish in the pond. Maybe when the acorns rot, we'll see some hogs and more deer. Had a few cold ones too. Great weekend. Gota love TX...
Old November 12, 2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
You see, here in the hill country me and six other friends lease about 2000 acres for about $25,000 per year.

The night before opening day we get drunk and party till about midnight. We get up around 5 am feeling pretty salty as you can imagine.

Then we drive our trucks or 4 wheelers up to our fully enclosed elevated blinds,...
Rich, drunk, hungover, driving, and armed...y'all are the ones the game warden warned me about, I bet.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
ActivShootr

Quote:
Rich, drunk, hungover, driving, and armed...y'all are the ones the game warden warned me about, I bet.
LOL!!!!!
Old November 12, 2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Yithian

Quote:
Damn I wish I was there.
I havn't had fun like that since I was a kid.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Quote:
The night before opening day we get drunk and party till about midnight. We get up around 5 am feeling pretty salty as you can imagine.
Thats so lame.........

Amateurs. No one puked in another guys boots. Nobody forgot their gun. The poker game ended at midnight, no one fell into the bonfire (actaully diving in while screaming), someones dog didnt eat all the chili and smores then puke that up, no dirty sweatsocks stuffed into the mouth of the guy that snored too much, you all were capable of driving and all of you were present the next morning (ie you didnt lose one guy then spend two hours looking for him and find him passed out bare*ssed in the outhouse)

Punk kids. Opening day is for recovery, you shoot the deer the next day.

WildandalloftheforegoingisatruecompilationAlaska TM
Old November 13, 2007, 12:42 AM   #9
BillCA

Wild,

You forgot to mention having sleep in the trailer or tent with "Butch" the old hunter who ate broccoli and crab cakes for dinner and washed 'em down with Pabst.

No one mentioned being stuck in the blind with the one guy who forgets his glasses or who's eyes are still watering (maybe from sleeping in Butch's tent)... who keeps squinting and whispering "zat a deer?" every time something moves.

Or worse yet, the guy who's so hung over he pukes not only in the blind, but all over the ATV on the way back to camp.

Or the guy nearby in a tree stand with a bladder the size of a walnut who can't stop fidgeting.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you work it right, the whiskey drinkers and poker players will happily let you kill their deer for them--so they'll have something to take home to Momma to prove they weren't just drinking whiskey and playing poker. (Or, in some parts of Texas, driving across the river to Mexico, to Boys' Town.)

You can wind up invited to some good leases, that way...

Art
Old November 13, 2007, 12:13 PM   #11
kingudaroad

Quote:
Or, in some parts of Texas, driving across the river to Mexico, to Boys' Town.
That has never ever happened Art. Let me repeat myself so it's perfectly clear. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!
Old November 13, 2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Quote:
That has never ever happened Art. Let me repeat myself so it's perfectly clear. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!
Please send $50 to:

WildicankeepmyselfoutofthisandnotemailthethreadtoyourwifeforamerestipendAlaska TM
Old November 13, 2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
WildicankeepmyselfoutofthisandnotemailthethreadtoyourwifeforamerestipendAlaska TM
OMG, so funny

Sounds like a good time, and why...did you pas up a ten pointer???

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 13, 2007, 03:16 PM   #14
kingudaroad

I've never been to Boys Town, but I've been told that on opening weekend it's so busy that the rooms get full and there is a line of camouflaged clad men holding hands with their "girls" waiting for rooms. That must be a sight!
Old November 13, 2007, 03:50 PM   #15
USNairman

Everything sounds fun to me except for the way you hunt, or should I say "kill" deer. In my opnion, there is not any hunting in how you harvest these deer. But the nice thing about the USA is that you get that choice.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:01 PM   #16
kingudaroad

And the point of this thread is in the original post...

Quote:
This post was inspired by those that trashed that kid for being excited about shooting that nice Texas buck a few threads back. If you don't like the way I hunt, who cares.
I think they sold me the wrong license. I wonder if the "harvesting" license is any cheaper.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

License? You need a steenkin' license?

Art
Old November 13, 2007, 05:05 PM   #18
fisherman66

Quote:
License? You need a steenkin' license?
only if you hunt during the day and you want to deal with rimfire restrictions.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:57 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

Wait I'm confused - what exactly happens at this "Boys Town"? And you need a license to do it?

Quote:
You forgot to mention having sleep in the trailer or tent with "Butch" the old hunter who ate broccoli and crab cakes for dinner and washed 'em down with Pabst.

No one mentioned being stuck in the blind with the one guy who forgets his glasses or who's eyes are still watering (maybe from sleeping in Butch's tent)... who keeps squinting and whispering "zat a deer?" every time something moves.

Or worse yet, the guy who's so hung over he pukes not only in the blind, but all over the ATV on the way back to camp.

Or the guy nearby in a tree stand with a bladder the size of a walnut who can't stop fidgeting.
And some people wonder why I hunt alone....

Dang how come we don't have a boys town in okla? Sounds like fun...
Old November 13, 2007, 06:49 PM   #20
fisherman66

Quote:
And some people wonder why I hunt alone....

Dang how come we don't have a boys town in okla? Sounds like fun...
Well Butch, get enough point beer in ya and do what the aggies do and go a lookin fer jennys.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:57 PM   #21
USNairman

Quote:
I think they sold me the wrong license. I wonder if the "harvesting" license is any cheaper.
I can go out and shoot a deer from my truck while I am cruising the forest and even listen to the radio while I do it. I can also slap a tag on it and check it in the next day and even drop it off to have it mounted. This still doesn't make it hunting. It is harvesting a deer though. Not much different from the way you harvest your deer except for I'd be sitting in a warm truck on wheels instead of a warm cabin on stilts.

If you really want to hunt something then get out and hunt it - don't sit back in a cabin drinking coffee while your warming your toes on a propane heater and watching your feeders spit out feed for your semi-tame animals. If you do harvest your deer this way then please don't come here trying to tell all of us that your hunting because this is the furthest thing from hunting there is. If you disagree with this then you obviously have never been hunting before.

Oh, and by the way... This is my opinion and if you or anyone else doesn't like it, who cares
Old November 13, 2007, 10:05 PM   #22
fisherman66

You can still come to Texas and hunt USNairman (with or without the propane heater). We don't discriminate, but the out of state license ain't cheap.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:19 PM   #23
USNairman

Quote:
You can still come to Texas and hunt USNairman (with or without the propane heater). We don't discriminate, but the out of state license ain't cheap.

thanks man!! Actually I would like to hunt TX one of these days. My company has a few offices in TX, AZ, NV and Mexico. I have been planning to make a "business trip" out that way so I could do a little hunting.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:13 PM   #24
Yithian

Hey USNair. Are you currently serving in the USN?
If you are an active duty serviceman, the hunting license in TX is free.

We call it, "Thanks for your service!"
Literally, you have to be stationed here, but some vendors just offer it up to say thanks.

Hows that for expensive, Fish?
LOL
Old November 14, 2007, 04:41 PM   #25
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Where do I sign up?

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?