The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 7, 2017, 06:21 PM   #26
SauerGrapes

My wife is 5 foot nothing and 90 lbs. {Elderly} Small gun plus 9mm= no go. I finally had to settle on a G42 for her.
The only way she can manage a small 9mm {PT709} is with something loaded by me.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 7, 2017, 07:35 PM   #27
Doc Holliday 1950

Our G43 arrived & we'll pick it up tomorrow morning. All of my 3 recent posts were to get info on the Glock sub compact for Mrs. Doc & myself.

Doc
Old June 7, 2017, 09:08 PM   #28
Mobuck

124 grain GoldDot (not +P) has done all I've expected of it.
Old June 8, 2017, 07:02 AM   #29
SaxonPig

Newton's Third Law about opposite reaction tells us that recoil is always more pronounced with heavier bullets. I have shot low velocity 158s and high velocity 110s from a 38 side by side and it wasn't even close. The heavier slugs generated much more felt recoil.

I personally believe 115 grains is the ideal bullet weight for the 9mm but I am sure some specialty manufacturer offers a 90 grain JHP load.
Old June 8, 2017, 08:20 AM   #30
random guy

This may be worth considering.

Barnes 9mm 115 gr TAC-XPD

It's actually a +P loading but recoil is next to non-existent. See the video about 4 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZGKghQtw4

Probably because the solid copper bullet with huge HP is very long and takes up a lot of space in the round. Velocity is moderate, as is penetration (Sorry, no free lunch). Barnes is the master of this bullet type and they open up picture perfect every time.

The icing on the cake? They are cheaper than most premium SD ammo. $18.99 for 20 at Cabella's and MidwayUSA.
Old June 8, 2017, 11:30 AM   #31
Snyper

Quote:
Have you considered loading some hollow points yourself?
That will bring out the "never carry handloads" crowd, even though they can never show a self-defense shooting where handloads changed the outcome of an otherwise justified shooting.
Old June 8, 2017, 11:45 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
That will bring out the "never carry handloads" crowd, even though they can never show a self-defense shooting where handloads changed the outcome of an otherwise justified shooting.
And yet, those of who actually understand the legal issues involved mostly agree that using handloads can complicate one's defense in the event of a self-defense shooting. One of us even wrote an article about it.

That, however, is not the topic of this thread, so let's not venture any further down that path.
Old June 8, 2017, 12:52 PM   #33
WWWJD

FWIW,
I recently shot some Winchester White Box 115 gr target ammo and some of the Federal HST 147 gr standard pressure through my Kimber Micro 9; couldn't tell a difference felt recoil. I also had some Sig Sauer Elite 124 gr, which (IIRC) is also standard pressure stuff, but it did feel more snappy to me.

There was a link to the Luckygunner ammo testing before; "I think" the HST was part of all that testing. I don't know; at the end of the day, I don't think you could convince me that there's a "magic combo" for any caliber and weight. They all look like they're making holes to me. I'd probably suggest that you buy 3 different weights of the same make/model of personal defense ammo and see which one she favors.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old June 8, 2017, 01:03 PM   #34
Doc Holliday 1950

Went to the GS/FFL to pick up my new Glock43. I shot Hornady 100 gr. 9mm and
Speer Lawman 115 FMJ 9mm ammo. Both worked very well, but there was a marked difference between the recoil using the Hornady and the Lawman and my wife did try both and agreed with me. She asked me to get a few boxes of the Hornady and I told her that I already ordered more boxes anticipating her response. Got a very nice kiss. Love it when a plan comes together and is good.

Guess who's going to have to go and buy another G43 or I might try the G26???

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!

Doc
Old June 8, 2017, 01:40 PM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

Corbon DPX in 115 or 95 grain.
Old June 8, 2017, 04:34 PM   #36
random guy

Glad it worked for you.

If Barnes or Cor-bon had gone with pink bullets they'd have a gold mine.
Old June 8, 2017, 04:47 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

I'll pass that on to Pete Jr.

Quote:
If Barnes or Cor-bon had gone with pink bullets they'd have a gold mine.
Old June 12, 2017, 03:33 PM   #38
Doc Holliday 1950

Went to the range today and shot 1 box Hornady of 100 grain 9mm ammo and one box of Hornady 147 grain 9mm ammo and I could barely feel the difference shooting my new G43. To all that predicted this, my hat's off to you. Your advice was correct & I learned a new thing. I shot at 10-then 15- then 25 feet just to see where my sweet spot was for now.
Shooting the G43 is different than from my G19. My fundamentals are good so with practice
I should be as accurate with either one.
PS: my new grip technique made all the difference.

Doc