The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 27, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
abowlieb

locations to hunt coyote in pa

Hello, looking for so info on finding out where to hunt coyote in pa. Just picked up predator hunting this yr, want to help the deer out a little since they are being hammered so hard. Thx for any info!
Old June 27, 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Anywhere in the state. Just like NY is now. Coyotes in every county. My hunting property is literally right on the NY/PA border and we have lots of them. You many not be seeing them but they are there. I live in the northern part of NY and we have them right in town and I live in a very populated area. We have them right in town, I've seen them cross my yard at night and I have friends who hunt them right outside of town and get quite a few.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
alex0535

I think a better question would be where can't you shoot coyotes in PA.

Really just go to anywhere you would normally hunt. I don't know if deer up there are dropping babies yet but they are down here. Fawn bleat call will bring them running.

I would encourage you to use a fawn bleat call this time of year. Worst case scenario you educate them in a way that running towards that noise gets them shot at, best case scenario they get dead not educated.
Old June 28, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
abowlieb

Thx for the info guys!
Old June 29, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
rickyrick

wherever you hunt them, research what they've been dining on and base your tactics on that.

Been eating chickens, well hang out by the chickens. Goats, imitate distressed kids. Pigs, same thing.

last year or so, I've had better luck laying in wait at the site of their victims than with calling. They follow trails, hedges, fences, rows of crops, and so on. Its easy enough to find how they travel at night.

Best calling method is coyote sounds, but nothing is ever set in stone with them. I've had them wander straight at me with the wind in my their before, which is counter intuitive in coyote behaviour.

Two more tips
1. If you make your own call lanyard, you may pee on it if its too long.
2. Beware the coyote shaped bushes, stumps and rocks.