The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which pistol would you recomend. First CCW
S&W M&P Shield 40 7 28.00%
S&W M&P 40c 11 44.00%
Springfield XD-40 Sub-Compact 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
mbrittb00

M&P Shield 40 vs. M&P 40c vs XD-40 Sub-Compact

I'm looking to purchase my first CCW. I've been looking around and have narrowed my list to the following.

S&W M&P Shield 40
S&W M&P 40c
Springfield XD-40 Sub-Compact

I have had the opportunity to fire the Shield, and will hopefully be able to fire the other two later this week. That may make my decision for me.

I am leaning toward the Shield, mainly because it will be my first CCW and being thinner, thinking it will be a little more comfortable to carry or slip into a pocket. However the Shield is hard to find.

From what I've read some dealers are getting shields in monthly while other are having to wait months for a single gun. Basically it is hit or miss if your local dealer will be able to get them regularly or have it take several months.

I'm thinking if I can find one in the extended area (2 ish hours), I'll probably go with the Shield, but if I can't I have two options 1) Wait until a Shield becomes avaliable, or 2) select one of the other two.

I'm assuming that S&W has a huge backlog of orders. I wonder if the dealers that are listed on the Smith and Wesson website as a "Smith and Wesson Top Gun Dealer" is more likely to get get them quicker?
Old January 30, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
shrewd

it's your first cc, so you're probably going to be paranoid about printing no matter what. You'll want the shield. I did the same thing a year or so ago, certain a single stack was for me.

Once you get comfortable though, find the right position on your waist, the right holster and belt (this means ALOT, seriously) you'll start to notice you can carry much larger pistols comfortably and concealed. I'm in the process of searching for a compact double stack to replace my kahr right now.

I'd say go with the M&Pc
Old January 30, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3
leadchucker

You may well be able to carry a thicker piece, but thinner will always be more comfortable. Get a Shield... if you can... at a reasonable price.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
jbrown27

Springfield XDS. Exact size of shield in a 45 acp. Fiber optic front sight and a sweet shooter. Better on recoil than the shield 40 was IMHO. More back in the hand instead of muzzle flip of the shield 40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xds451_2.jpg (171.4 KB, 34 views)
Old January 30, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
mbrittb00

shrewd, your first line suggested the Shield would be better, then the last line suggested the M&P40c?
Old January 30, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
mbrittb00

jbrown, the problem with the XDS is that it only holds 5 rounds. If they made it in a .40 or 9mm version I would definatlly put it in my consideration pile. I assume that the better recoil that you refer to would also be included in the XD-40 Sub-compact (which I hope to shoot tomorrow). That may change my mind.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
jbrown27

The xds 9 is coming out the 2nd qtr of this year I believe. I don't know about the xd sub compact I haven't shot it. I'm talking more that the 45 tends to have a different recoil than a 40 does. More back into the hand and less muzzle flip than the 40 in similar sized guns (ie. Size and weight ). I have a xds and couldn't be happier. True you are getting 1 less round than the shield in 40 but your getting a 45. Plus they sell an extended 7 round mag
Old January 30, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8
shootniron

Shield in 9mm
Old January 30, 2013, 04:42 PM   #9
mbrittb00

Yeah, that is the conclusion I am coming to as well. Shield 9mm.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:11 PM   #10
XD40inTX

I own both the Shield in .40 cal and the XD40sc (as you can see from my UserID). They're both great guns. I prefer the Shield for everyday carry but I occasionally carry the XD, too.

Incidentally, I carry the Shield in a Crossbreed Minituck and the XD in a CB Super Tuck. Both are great holsters for concealed carry.

~ Texas saying, circa 1870
Old January 30, 2013, 06:19 PM   #11
propforce

I have the Shield 40. A great choice.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:10 PM   #12
+1k ammo

Go with a Shield 9mm. Just playing with it at the counter while ordering and it was very nice. Fit my large hand no problem

My LGS has a montyly order of so many ??? (it is a larger shop) so, I missed this months but he said should be on next months so don't have to wait too long. I am busy anyway so it's ok if it takes a little bit.