The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2017, 01:15 PM   #26
bassJAM1

I have 4 different guns that I carry. Each one is a little smaller, less accurate, and smaller caliber than the next.

1st - SIG P938. If I could, I would always carry this. I feel very confident having 7+1 rounds of 9mm, and I doubt I'd ever carry anything larger. I also shoot this gun better than I should, it being a subcompact and all. The problem is I'm not always in a situation where I can IWB carry. Or I just don't want to take the time to put on a holster. I live in the country, and putting on a holster to drive 15 minutes to Lowes, spending 30 minutes in the store, and driving another 15 minutes home doesn't seem worth the effort of dealing with having a gun jab me in the side/back in my truck. This is where my next choice down the line comes into play.

2rd - S&W 442. It does suck a little to step down to 5 shots, but not so much that I ever carry a speed loader or speed strip. And while I'm not quite as accurate with this gun, I can still surprise myself with tight little groups. I only pocket carry this gun, and use it for quick trips to the corner store and stuff like that. But it's probably the gun I carry most outside the my house. When I'm driving I drop it into the door cup holder where I have easy access to it with my left hand.

3nd - Ruger LCP. There are a handful of times when I find the j-frame too bulky in my pocket and I'll use the LCP. But I'm not very accurate with this gun so I very rarely use it anymore. I should note that this was my first gun for concealed carry, so there was a time it was my only option. But I wanted a tad more power than the .380 offered.

4th - NAA .22 revolver with 1-1/8" barrel. This thing is tiny, and I pretty much only carry it at home. It's not a gun that's easy to shoot accurately past 3 yards, but its so light and small it doesn't get in my way when I'm working around the house or lounging in running shorts.

For a short time I had a Glock 23, but I decided it was too large to ever carry. I also tried out my brother's M&Pc and quickly decided that double stack guns, even compacts, where too large for me. For reference I'm 5' 8", 190 lbs and am typically described as "stocky". So it's not that I can't conceal compact handguns, I just really don't like the extra thickness in an IWB holster.
Old June 9, 2017, 05:20 PM   #27
Nathan

I generally carry.

I always carry a reload.

I prefer 9mm or more.

I prefer 45.

I prefer holster carry to keep pockets free.

I carry 380 in the pocket when that is best. I always carry a spare mag.
Old June 10, 2017, 09:47 PM   #28
Nanuk

How you "feel" is irrelevant. This needs to be answered with facts and logic, not emotions. I carry a S&W 69 44 mag with a BUG of a Charter 44 Bulldog, or a 1911 or fullsize Glock with extra mags and a 40 Shield as a BUG and I retired (semi) from LE 6 years ago. I also carry an AR pistol is a discrete carry bag at times.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 10, 2017, 10:16 PM   #29
AL45

I carry a 6 shot 7 1/2 " stainless Ruger redhawk in .45 Colt. If the bad guy is still alive when I run out of bullets, I can beat him to death with it. Actually I feel fine with my Ruger 5 shot SP101 .357.
Old June 11, 2017, 12:25 AM   #30
briandg

So many thoughts.

First, I believe in constant, never ending carry. One night, f almost forty years ago I heard a couple of guys talking on my patio, and tested my locks. Several years ago, I had a goon come right to the edge of my yard. Thirty years ago, a guy on a motorcycle ran into my wife in my driveway. that took a lot of work on his part. That is why I don't believe in ever taking off the gun.

I don't believe that I have to go heavily armed. I'm going to die long before I reach my fourth magazine.

Seven rounds of .380 should get me through a close quarters fight with even as many as three attackers, if luck holds, and it fits what I can do. If I have failed with two magazines with my glock, it means that I have some super crazed SOB that won't give up or die. Terminators aren't real, very few is terrorists attack Wal-Mart, and a mass killer is a whole different kind of beast.

So, what is the most likely scenario of violence for me? My own home, while driving or shopping, and mass firepower isn't likely to change the results.

There are times that a person just can't win. When "fate" steps in. If I wind up with three goobers with glocks dumping lead at me, my gun won't matter.
Old June 11, 2017, 01:10 AM   #31
Yung.gunr

I carry 99.999% of the time. I'd rather have it and not need it. It really doesn't matter where you are, crime can happen anywhere.
Now regarding the caliber and rounds, yeah that can vary depending on what you think the likelihood of you needing it. Most of the time I carry IWB a Taurus PT709, that's 7 rounds of 9mm. I used to pocket carry a PT738, 6 rounds of .380. But, I realized how difficult it was to pull it from my pocket if I REALLY needed it. Now I pocket carry if I leave the house in basketball shorts (not often).
I carried IWB a XD9 with the 4" barrel and 16 round magazine, but I decided that was more than I would likely ever need based on my lifestyle.

If I were a LEO I would likely carry a service size pistol off duty as well, but in my office job with its standard commute I don't feel I will ever need that much gun.

When on a road trip I carry my XD9 with a spare mag, pocket carry the .380 as a BUG, and keep an AK pistol with 2; 30 round mags in a backpack next to my seat. Yeah, I don't mess around on road trips, seen way too many horror/thriller movies that start on a highway between cities. I ain't going out like that, lol.
Old June 11, 2017, 01:23 AM   #32
armoredman

Quote:
...Terminators aren't real...
That instantly got the theme song playing in my head...
Old June 11, 2017, 04:55 AM   #33
JoeSixpack

The minimum I'd feel comfortable with is .380, I currently do not own however.
That being said Im in agreement with the philosophy of #rule1 of a gun fight, bring a gun.

I'd use 22lr if it's all I at hand.

I also believe in keeping your carry guns as few as possible.
I feel most comfortable with my Taurus 99, This is a full size duty weapon (think beretta 92) in 9mm, 18+1 rounds + 18 round reload.
If I had more room on the belt I'd expand it to 2 reloads.

But I really doubt at the current level of 37 total rounds ammo shortage is ever the cause of loosing a fight.

The only other gun I carry Is my Hi-point c9 *pauses for gasps*
I carry it when Im doing things in the yard, on the car, house, etc.. basicly dirty jobs where I don't really care what kinda hell im gonna put the gun thru, My moto is "carry it like you hate it"
It's only 8+1, 9mm, no reload.

Im planing on adding a Taurus 709 to the roster once it proves it self at the range, It will play the roll as a middle of the night / half dressed but damnit I need some taco bell gun.. and probably as backup when im carrying the 99 or c9

That pretty much fulfills all my carry needs.. except maybe wilderness protection.

99 is primary, c9 my beater, 709 pocket gun.

I know a few people including instructors that get by with a 5 shot .38spl
I think in most cases that will be enough.. but me? No such thing as excessive ammo capacity.. No one said I had to shoot it all at once right?

I've been carrying fullsize guns since I started carrying in 08.
Im a big guy and carry OWB, I seriously do not notice the weight or size and wonder what all the fuss about a few oz here or there.

With that said it's not optimal for concealment. a lone tshirt it can print a bit especially lighter colors.. but damn it's comfortable and easy to get to.

One last thing.. You (generalization) need to carry like it's a religion.. When I get dressed I am armed, People who only carry some of the times or when they're expecting trouble are doing it wrong, they're missing the entire point of it.

If I knew there was gonna be trouble I'd bring a long gun.. or better yet just avoid it altogether.

I also highly suggest against off body carry, I see a lot of women carrying in their purse.

Let me tell ya I've been in a few purses in my day and those things are like black holes.. I honestly don't know how they ever find anything in there.
Even the ones that have pockets specifically for guns it's still a bad idea.. to easy to get snatched or stolen when you're not looking.

And how many of you have seen women carrying their purse low by the strap in their hands? and easy snatch.. or almost as bad the over the shoulder?

I always advise carrying it with the strap across the neck so it can't be easily stripped away.

I don't know how I got on purses but it's 6am I think it's time for bed lol
Old June 11, 2017, 01:00 PM   #34
fshfindr

It’s obvious that there are many different opinions. I’ve been around for 78 years and have never been in a situation where I wished I had a gun. So at this time, I doubt that I will need one soon. However, as a careful man, I still like being prepared so I carry a S&W 642 .38 cal. Yes, it has only 5 rounds. Now this is not an accurate gun but I do believe that if I ever need it, my target will be pretty close. I practice at 8 yards. At that distance I can get 3” groups always in the middle of my 8½ X 11 target. With my Delta grip I can fire 50 rounds before it starts hurting too much. I use a Sticky pocket holster which really can’t be seen and I get it out pretty quick, certainly, fast enough since I won’t be trying to out draw anyone. I fully expect that if the BG has a gun he’ll have it in his hand before me. I have a speed loader in the truck and car but not in my pocket, I really believe 5 will be more than enough. Certainly, if I stay cool. I have yet to read where a CCW guy drew his gun and lost the battle so I feel pretty good with what I have.

Last edited by fshfindr; June 11, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old June 12, 2017, 09:48 AM   #35
357 Python

As a police officer, firearms instructor, and armorer in the last year I have carried several different handguns off-duty depending on personal preferences that day. The handguns I have carried are a 3" S&W model 65, 4" S&W 686, 4" Colt Python, Beretta 92F and recently a 5" Colt Gov't Model Series 70 MK IV. There are times when a situation can not be avoided (1% or less) and it is these times I try to prepare for. How many people go to a movie theater thinking some crazed fool is going to start shooting people? How many go any where thinking that? If I had reason to believe something were going to happen some where when I am off-duty I would either not go there or bring my rifle (AR-15 or Beretta CX4 Storm carbine) or perhaps my 20" barrel Remington 870.

Why do I choose to carry what I do? Simple, I carry what I am familiar with and that I have faith in that will get me safely out of the situation. I trust most people do something very similar.
Old June 12, 2017, 10:34 AM   #36
briandg

I'm curious. How many people DRASTICALLY ALTER their carry weapon depending on situation?

I carry my .380 day to day. If I am going on trips, my glock goes with me in the car and hotel room while we are there, and the .380 is still carry. It carries twice the ammo, maybe 25%increase in the damaging power. The only reason I add the glock is because I have the space to carry it, and it's just simply a better thing to have

If I camp, I still carry my pocket gun, but my .357 stays in my car and tent. If I go into deep woods, I either carry my .357 or my glock, I believe that either round can drop any local critter, even though the glock may take a few more rounds.

Our greatest threats are some average sized black bears, or average sized feral hogs. Neither one of them are so big that they can't be stopped by the nine mm. The average moonshiners or pot farmers or crack cookers are just as fragile. So, my range of carry goes from 90 grain at about 1,000 to 125 at about 1,000 and maybe 158 at about 1,400. Pretty big spread, but I go from a pocket pistol to a pretty ordinary set of full power combat loads.

Maybe I put too much trust in "fate" but carrying a full kit or oversized equipment has risks of its own. Stealth and convenience are important safety concerns to me.

Once a guy asked me what I carry, then he spent over five, maybe even ten minutes describing his kit to wear to the mall. He had everything, and told me all of it. 40 caliber, 4 mags, fed hst, bullet weight and velocity, brand and particulars of mags and carry accessories, he might have even told me powder and primers. He named the guy who cerakoted it and what color, and that an xxlt black t shirt covers it all perfectly. He pulled up his shirt to show me his iwb carry when he's not at the mall.. in case that isn't good enough, he has a knife.

I carry a gun, he carries something that I can't even describe. To the mall to shop for sunglasses, jeans, pretzels and coffee. I'm not intending to troll anyone, but this boy is clearly nuts, it was easy to see. What I'm wondering is how many change the nine for a .45 and add a couple extra magazines because they are going for barbecue in a less savory part of town?
Old June 12, 2017, 10:48 AM   #37
g.willikers

Quote:
Once a guy asked me what I carry, then he spent over five, maybe even ten minutes describing his kit to wear to the mall.

There's one in every crowd and most forums.
Did you ask him what training he's had to go with all his ordnance?
Old June 12, 2017, 11:00 AM   #38
Lohman446

Quote:
I'm not intending to troll anyone, but this boy is clearly nuts, it was easy to see
In the discussion about shooting in a crowd you have at one extreme the "I'm retreating if possible" and at the other "I'm firing shots indiscriminately until the "bad guy" is taken down." The scary part is he is likely not anywhere near the retreat side of the argument
Old June 12, 2017, 11:14 AM   #39
chaim

Quote:
I know some who only carry if they head toward an area they perceive as dangerous. Most carry whenever they can, but feel perfectly confident with a micro .380 pistol. Others are ok with only 5 shots, so long as those 5 are of a big caliber.

Others carry full-sized duty pistols with at least one full spare magazine. And yet others add a micro .380 to this.

What made you decide how much gun to carry?

What led you to your decision?
I live in MD where I can't get a CCW so I only carry a gun part time (I have a UT non-resident permit and I can carry in most of the states around me, where I do spend a lot of time). In MD, I choose not to break the law and carry, I figure my chances of being in a life-or-death situation are lower than my chances of being caught. I carry pepper spray and a knife when I can. Though, as a teacher I can't have a knife at work and only keep it in my car while at work.

When I'm in a state where I can carry on my UT non-res permit (about 2-4 days most months, plus vacation time), I usually carry. I don't carry to my aunt and uncle's house because they are very anti-gun, and I don't carry to my cousin's house since he doesn't want me to (they live in VA). If I'm going to be there for more than just visiting them, I'll carry for the rest of my trip, but remove it when going into their houses (property rights means I will honor the desires of the property owner). Otherwise, I do not worry about safe or not safe areas and only carry in not safe areas. I try to avoid non-safe areas when I can, and I know bad things can happen anywhere, so when I can carry, I carry no matter where I am going.

At first, I was comfortable with a 5 shot snub. It concealed easily and 5 shots was better than what I'm allowed at home in MD. Later, I decided that was false logic: just because I can't carry at home, doesn't mean I shouldn't carry something more capable just because something is better than nothing.

As for which gun, my first criteria is how well I shoot it. Second is capacity. While I used to go small (SIG P290rs), my current carry philosophy is to carry the largest gun I can conceal well. I can conceal a traditional compact (P229, P250 Compact, G19, Commander, etc.) sized gun almost as well as a mini-9 like my P290. I can conceal a thin 1911 as well as just about anything else.

The guns I shoot best are a full-sized 1911 or CZ 75B, with a medium frame revolver coming next. Full-size is a little large and heavy for carry, so I am switching from my SIG P250 Compact, to a CZ P01 and both a Commander sized alloy 1911 (S&W 1911SC) and a steel 3 1/2" 1911 (RIA Tac CS). I will likely be selling all my small framed snubs (I may keep one of my four) and eventually replacing them with a 7 round 3" S&W 686 Plus.

Last edited by chaim; June 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old June 12, 2017, 11:14 AM   #40
Deaf Smith

Quote:
How much gun?
Carry as much gun as you can control and conceal.

If you can realistically carry a .45, do so. .40 S&W, do so. 9mm, do so.

Cause when the fur flies you will find no one ever wished for a smaller gun nor less ammo.

Deaf
Old June 12, 2017, 11:40 AM   #41
SocialAnarchist

XDs in .45acp. Usually carry a 7 round spare mag too. When do I carry? Every where I legally can. I do not carry at work, either job, because it is against policy.
Old June 12, 2017, 11:49 AM   #42
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
I'm curious. How many people DRASTICALLY ALTER their carry weapon depending on situation?
I try to stay consistent so my carry weapon and method does not really change.

If you need deep concealment then I guess I could see pocket gun only.
Most of the time that's not really necessary.

If I was going in to the woods here In Ohio I don't think we have any bears.. I could be wrong.. I have some 357's but no holsters for them.. I'd probably stick with my 9mm, Im sure it would dispatch most critters if needed.

Quote:
Maybe I put too much trust in "fate" but carrying a full kit or oversized equipment has risks of its own. Stealth and convenience are important safety concerns to me.
I assume by stealth you mean concealment?
Depends.. I carry OWB, fullsize, it will print with just a t-shirt, darker colors do better.. general public is oblivious even so.

with a light cover garment like a wind breaker even this sub optimal concealment becomes pretty difficult to tell.

I've seen people completely conceal full size 1911's IWB, infact they do quite well in so much as 1911's while large are actually quite thin.

It really depends on what you're going for.

As far as convenience, man nothing beats OWB carry imo.. it's comfortable and fast to get to.. at least in my experience.

Quote:
I carry a gun, he carries something that I can't even describe. To the mall to shop for sunglasses, jeans, pretzels and coffee. I'm not intending to troll anyone, but this boy is clearly nuts, it was easy to see. What I'm wondering is how many change the nine for a .45 and add a couple extra magazines because they are going for barbecue in a less savory part of town?
Just further along the scale then you.. to some people you're nuts to start with for carrying a gun, any gun.

He's clearly carrying more then avg but I would not call him nuts.

As for changing up to 45 for a "unsavory" part of town? no sir I carry as much gun as I need to feel comfortable in all situations.
If I was expecting trouble I'd either take a rifle or better yet not go.

Besides that I already settled the internal 9mm vs 45 debate, 9mm won.. 45 is clearly more powerful but especially with the latest generation of SD ammo, 9mm is quite the performer these days and has other desirable qualities to boot.

9mm Is my caliber of choice and it does not change just because the "perceived" probability of something happening went up a notch.
What am I expecting that would happen that would/could not happen elsewhere?

If it's not good enough for hood rats then it's probably not good enough for random thug somewhere on the other side of town.

I will tell you though having lived in some less then "savory" areas my self, Crime is usually fairly localized and usually involves drugs some where along the line, if you're not into drugs your chances have having issues even on the wrong side of the tracks goes down greatly.

Last place we lived we had police helicopters nightly 2 blocks away.. always 2 blocks away.. my street was usually pretty quiet, but it's all the same area so it gets a bad wrap.
Old June 12, 2017, 12:06 PM   #43
briandg

I can't argue with deaf, but can't follow his advice, either. I don't think that packing more "firepower" into the field is likely to save lives. Every police agency that I know of diversifies, rather that taking a "one basket" approach. Rather than five magazines and .45s, they save weight and space for mace, a tazer, baton, etc. They passed off the ammo stockpile war decades ago, even before they started filling the belt. For that matter, rather than putting even greater burdens on a beat cop, we've created special units to replace the extra firepower.

Rather than adding to extra magazines and heavier rounds, I have tried to get my wife to carry. She refuses. Her only use is as a human shield.

Lohmann, I can expect that my buddy who spits when he talks, shakes when he gets excited, hates the government and fears the greys will leave a metric fartload of holes in the walls if he hears a transformer blow outside. I see fearless fosdick.

Benny d prinnin Com

Animation resources . Org

Old June 12, 2017, 12:09 PM   #44
chaim

Quote:
I like to have a selection to cover different needs, but that is more theoretical. Since I don't live in a shall-issue state and don't have a permit for MD, I only carry a few days a month when in DE, WV or VA. Given that, I'm usually dressed for vacation, shopping, maybe a date, or whatever brought me there. It is rare that I can't carry my usual, so I usually just have one or two guns I actually choose from. I do like to have a small .380 (currently an LCP, but soon to be replaced) which will mostly be used as a backup (in theory, I haven't actually carried a backup in years), a single stack micro-9 or subcompact (SIG P290rs soon to be either replaced or complimented by an Officer sized 1911), a double stack subcompact (S&W M&P40c), and a compact (a CZ P01, a .45ACP SIG P250 Compact, and the P250 will soon be replaced by my S&W 1911SC). I also occasionally carry a revolver (when the mood strikes in the winter, and for camping), currently a S&W 625MG. When I do/can carry, over the past few years about 90% of the time it has been the P250 or P290. With the switch back to 1911s, the 1911SC is replacing the P250. I don't know how much the Officer 1911 and new M&P40c will be carried instead of the P290, and I don't know how much the CZ P01 will be carried instead of the 1911SC. We'll see if it is still one or two guns the vast majority of the time, if the gun I pick is based on where I'm going, or if I switch between them more.
Old June 12, 2017, 02:23 PM   #45
fastbolt

How much gun? Always an interesting question and resulting discussion.

Most always brings feelings into the discussion, too.

Well, I'm no different. I've developed some personal opinions which have resulted from having carried a badge of one sort or another (full-time & reserve) for 35 years, and for 26 of those years I trained and worked as a LE firearms instructor.

In my case, although I initially carried an issued .357 Magnum service revolver, and either a Colt Combat Commander, one of my own .357 or .44 Magnum revolvers off-duty ... for me, being "well armed" began when I reached for the Remington 870, when working in a patrol car.

A handgun? Well, as much as I was an enthusiast of .45 ACP, .357 & .44 Magnum handguns, they were still just handguns. I was certainly armed, but I didn't exactly consider myself "well armed".

Nowadays?

I'm retired. I'm no longer being sent to, or seeking out, active situations involving crimes and suspected or known danger. Trouble is going to have make the effort to come find me.

Sure, a career's worth of developing the habit of doing risk assessment resulted in it being ingrained, and I always give some thought to where I'm going, what I'm going, what's happening around me, etc. That extends to decisions regarding the carrying of a retirement CCW weapon (or weapons).

Sometimes I'll still break out one of the many 9's, .40's or .45's (or even a .357 Magnum), but mostly I'm choosing to slip one of my many 5--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- snubs or pair of LCP's into a pocket holster. Sometimes I'll even pocket holster one of my NAA .22LR or Mag mini revolvers (mostly as an Onion Field type backup).

Continuing to maintain a working skillset is more important to me than the particular handgun(s) and caliber(s) I may select.

I seldom shill particular guns, calibers or ammunition to folks with whom I work. Their choice, their business.

What does matter to me is whether or not they can safely, comfortably and effectively handle, carry, use and operate whatever it is they've chosen. If they can't demonstrate being able to use it in a safe, controllable, accurate and effective manner, what good are they doing for themselves?

Like a cool looking big name gun? Popular, respectable caliber? Pretty finish? Cool holster? Lots of magazines festooned around a belt, with more in pockets?

Okay, that's fine (as long as it's within policy or not against local law).

However, if we go downrange and set up some difficult threat (and non-threat) targets, and introduce some difficulties and normal range stress conditions, and require some thinking, decision-making and multi-tasking ... will the shots fired be on the intended threat target, in an acceptable timely manner, accurately? Or, will they be somewhere else that not intended, or too slowly fired to meet even generously "acceptable" standards of competency for training drills, quals , etc.

In other words, can the owner/user actually use whatever equipment is being carried? If not, is it an equipment problem, or a user problem?

Caliber? Sure, if that tickles your fancy?

Capacity? Sure, if that's a personal concern.

Misses are a problem. Hits on the intended target matter.

Often when someone asks if I think they have "enough gun", I ask them if they've already addressed the questions of, "Do I have enough knowledge? Enough, training? Enough understanding of laws & tactics (and policies)? Can I actually use my choice?"

I'm more concerned about the equipment user, than the particular equipment.

Kind of like back in the days of my early martial arts interest, when someone would expound upon how they were practitioners of some particular art or style, and the brand of gi they wore, and I'd ask them if they could really use their training? Or even defend themselves and fight using it, for that matter?
Old June 12, 2017, 03:40 PM   #46
JoeSixpack

Quote:
I have tried to get my wife to carry. She refuses. Her only use is as a human shield.
ROFL, Oh man I hope you're joking.. just never tell her this.. she might take it the wrong way.. or the right way for that matter

BTW Where can I find that full comic you posted, that's hilarious.
Old June 12, 2017, 03:58 PM   #47
ammo.crafter

How much?

I thought my .380 was sufficient for my ccw needs.

I shoot competitively and met a fellow shooter that really opened my eyes.

He placed a 3" x 4" card at 3yds; 5yds; 7yds; 10yds and 15yds.
Using my ccw weapon I had to fire in the shortest amount of time and yet hitting the 3x4's each time; we used 5-round drills.

I have since switched to carrying my Hi-Power!
Old June 12, 2017, 04:12 PM   #48
briandg

From Benin d prinnin. Fearless Fosdick.

http://bennypdrinnon.blogspot.com/20...-atom-bum.html

Written by all capp, part of the dogpatch stories. He was loosely based on dick Tracy. Fosdick usually ended every story with a hail of bullets that left a thousand holes in Albert hall. Every episode left dead people everywhere with head shots. Even at the time I knew people who fit that description too well.
Old June 25, 2017, 10:48 AM   #49
Don Fischer

I've only had a carry licence for abut a year and a half also but, I always carried when I worked for a living. Drove trucks 48 states and Canada. Illegal but then the people that made up that rule never went into a produce or meat district at 3 am! They are the nastiest of nasty places. The thing I learned that was most help to me was to learn to spot a bad situation and avoid it. Never had to pull a gun out but two time's in close to 30 yrs and never fired a shot.

The carry gun first off should be something you like to shoot. You don't care for your gun, get ride of it and get a different one. For me it has to be light and concealable. My P89 is heavy, long and wide. Very nice gun but I seldom ever carry it. Long because of the long barrel, heavy because no plastic and carry's to many rounds. I put it on, and I do sometime's, and I'm always aware of it. It also bother's me the bottom of the holster show's up under my shirt. Carry's 15 rds in the mag and one in the chamber plus and extra magazine add's another 15 rds of ammo. It's nice to have an extra magazine maybe bur if you need more than a few shot's to stop a target you either are not close enough or not practiced enough. About 7 yds is as far away as I ever practice and I shoot at rather large target's and taught myself to point and shoot. I do not believe if push come's to shove, I'm gonna have time to carefully aim and shoot and still get off a shot before the problem shoot's me first. I do carry an extra magazine, 8 rounds. It is not heavy and don't bother me at all. And if I ever had to break into that extra magazine, I've got myself in over my head!

I carry every where I go, even at home and to card game one night a week. No one knows I carry, n need for them to know and you will run into people that the sight of a gun really does bother them. Conceal the gun well and simply avoid the problem with those people and especially anti gun people. What they don't know won 't hurt them.

Where I live I doubt I'll ever need a gun. My son tried talking me into it for years before I finely got my licence. Now my mind is a bit changed. I still believe I'll never need it but, what if the One in a million problem show's up? It is possible it could show up anywhere, even where I live, cops are min 30 minute's away from the nearest police. Then to, even if the bad guy's shows up in a bad place and you need your gun, hard to believe the bad guy will give you time to run home and get it off the headboard of the bed. Because I do carry as much as I do, I need a gun that I don't notice but still fit's my hand and that is fairly easy for me to shoot and low on recoil so I will practice with it. But the best advice I can give you based on my driving experience is learn to recognize bad situation and avoid them. If you feel you don't need to you just may run into the guy that's better or luckier than you, bad spot to be in!

Auto loaders, in my experience are softer recoiling than revolver's. Less recoil and you'll practice more. They are normally easier to conceal if they are single stack magazine's and short barrel's. They carry more round's when loaded that suitable revolver's do and are faster to reload. When firing the auto will normally have the easiest trigger to manipulate, revolver either need cocked for every shot or in double ction you always hve to pull the DA trigger, it's fairly heavy.

The gun can be an object you really don't pay attention to or it can be a slow burden that your always aware of. Anything with more than a single stack magazine and 1" barrel becomes a pain to carry around all the time and will be more difficult to hide to hide. Learn to recognize and avoid bad situation's because safe as you feel with your gun, most people will never have fired at another human being and especially if they are firing back.

Just my opinion. Probably worth everything you paid for it!

Last edited by Don Fischer; June 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old June 29, 2017, 09:47 AM   #50
Gfort

i carry a full size 40 s/w taurus 24/7 g2 iwb the reason i picked the 40 is during the ammo shortage 40 was like the only ammo on most shelves where i live and i carry any time i can with at least 15 to 30 extra rounds