The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2017, 11:54 AM   #26
the possum

Getting back to the OP-
Quote:
I'd kind of like to have an AK so I asked him about making one. He said he'd be glad to help me. I could even use his shop. So I asked about price. He said about $600 bucks to which my response was that I could buy a whole AK for that. He told me you don't save $$$ on this kind of gun. The only advantage is that there is no paper trail. Seriously?
Right now prices have fallen through the floor on those guns people would panic over. You can buy a basic AR for $400 now. So yeah, I really don't see how you can save any money, and if you're gonna put in all the time and work, he's probably also figuring on using decent parts. And as others mentioned, an AK is not quite as straightforward as an AR.

Quote:
I live in IL and the state police are NOT supposed to keep records of the back ground checks and who bought what. Someone at a very high level of state gov. would breaking the law in a heavy duty way for the State Police to have record of gun ownership. (Not that it couldn't happen, but this would be very serious law violation!) Granted I have to have a FOID card, but that doesn't tell them what guns I own, or even if I own any guns at all. However; my buddy says that IL gun dealers have to keep records of who bought what. Really?

So two questions:

1. Do IL gun dealers have to keep records of every sale? A list of who owns guns bought from their shop?
They're not supposed to, but in practice you can assume they have (or can easily get) a list of every gun you've bought from an FFL.

I wish I could find it back now, but I'm pretty sure it was Otis McDonald (of the famous McDonald vs. Chicago Supreme Court Case) who talked about getting his guns confiscated. He said the police showed up at his door with a list of every gun he'd ever bought.

Note that they were not tracing the serial number of a particular gun(s) like others have mentioned in this thread. It's possible he only ever bought anything from 1 or 2 gun shops, so maybe they followed his form 4473's and subpoenaed all the records from those shops. I don't know. But he was convinced they had a secret registration database, and even if he was technically wrong, does it really matter if they can track down everything you own within a couple days?

Something similar was published on the Firearm Blog:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...06/run-in-atf/
Quote:
About 15 minutes later John and another agent (let’s call him Nick) pulled up in two sedans. They were both in plain clothes, both introduced themselves kindly, and both provided credentials and business cards before I let them in. I sat the two men down in my office as I was legitimately curious as to what was going on. The men had lists of every firearm I had ever received from an FFL where I had done multiple long guns/hand guns.
And as others have mentioned, FFL's must keep detailed records of everything sold, and those records get turned over to the BATFE when the shop closes.

In Illinois we have the FOID card, so they pretty much know you've got guns. The issue is whether they know about that last particular item hidden under the floorboards. And if it ever comes to that, I would not want to involve a "shooting buddy" in the mess. Think about what you'd be asking of him, if authorities ever came knocking and demanded to know who he helped build guns. No, I'd much rather just buy a ready-built gun off a stranger with no paperwork, or build something completely on my own that no one else knows about.
Old June 19, 2017, 12:41 PM   #27
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum
Note that they were not tracing the serial number of a particular gun(s) like others have mentioned in this thread. It's possible he only ever bought anything from 1 or 2 gun shops, so maybe they followed his form 4473's and subpoenaed all the records from those shops. I don't know. But he was convinced they had a secret registration database, and even if he was technically wrong, does it really matter if they can track down everything you own within a couple days?
If a person only had firearms purchased from FFL(s), it would be incredibly easy to obtain the information from the 4473s for all the guns a person owns. Technically 4473s aren't a database in that all the information isn't compiled onto one list but that is kind of hair splitting if all the information can be retrieved when necessary. That is why the anti-gun types drool about stuff like closing the gun show "loophole" as that would largely complete their gun registration scheme by also covering all private (non-FFL) gun transfers.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:15 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Im busy this week, but if I have time next week I will send a request for clarification to ATFE in regard to borrowing tools.
Old June 19, 2017, 10:38 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But he was convinced they had a secret registration database, and even if he was technically wrong, does it really matter if they can track down everything you own within a couple days?
Focusing the resources of the BATF on a single person and, over the course of a few days, being able to track down all (or most) of the guns that person has purchased via 4473 is tremendously different from being able to type in a person's name and instantly finding a list of the guns they own. The latter is registration, the former is not.
Quote:
They're not supposed to, but in practice you can assume they have (or can easily get) a list of every gun you've bought from an FFL.
I would say that they can get it, I doubt it will be anything approaching easy in the general case.
Quote:
The men had lists of every firearm I had ever received from an FFL where I had done multiple long guns/hand guns.
The highlighted portion is very important. If a person buys multiple firearms at once, that is reported directly to the BATF, unlike normal firearm purchases.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...tion-reporting
Old June 20, 2017, 01:13 AM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

One thing to keep in mind is that the information on the 4473 that links a gun to you by serial # is NOT given to the federal govt to put in a database, they have to go LOOK for it.

Your state may have their own rules but that's your state. Your state may hand over the information to the Fed, I have no idea, but I would expect that the Fed would have to request it.

No instant background check over the phone by an FFL that I have been involved with has EVER given the gun serial#. Your/my personal info (DOB, address etc) and either "handgun or long gun". Only that, never the gun serial #.

SO, the Fed knows you bought a gun, and they know if its a handgun, or not. And that's it. For further info, they have to go LOOK at the dealers PHYSICAL records. They have to go the shop and look at the papers. They can, and do this, easily enough, if they have a reason. But they don't get to just push a button and get a list of what you bought by serial #.

However, once they HAVE that list, I think they would save it, somewhere they can get it with a push of a button, or mouseclick.

I find the information about how the Fed is ruling on what tools you can use to build your own gun to be ....entertaining, and you know the only reason they even exist now is because of idiots baiting the Fed with the whole "ghost gun" foolishness.

Foolishness, because we were fine, and largely left alone by the ATF if we were only making firearms for personal use. The only real concern was how many one could make before the Fed felt you needed a manufacturer's license. The Fed didn't care WHO'S tools you used, only if you were doing it for sale or not.

Of course, this was also in the days when you had to have machine tool operating skills, or a LOT of determination and patience with a file.

Emotional children, discovering the tech that let them make (SOME) gun parts via a 3d printer, dancing and capering about (on the internet, particularly) with tongues stuck out, thumbs in their ears wiggling their fingers at the ATF and chanting "neener neener, we can make ghost guns!" was a rather STUPID thing to do, in my opinion. THANKS SO MUCH, fellahs.

If you're doing it for the joy of building your own gun, fine. Wonderful, even.
If you're doing it so its not registered to you, (check your LOCAL laws carefully, as well!) it seems to me that it would be simpler, and maybe cheaper to just buy a used gun from a private seller. (where legal)

There are still many places in the country where its not only still legal, but encouraged. Sadly not as many as there used to be...
Old June 20, 2017, 11:51 AM   #31
JoeSixpack

Hmm the reporting of multiple rifles I think started back in fast 'n furious.. which is kinda ironic since the ATF was the one pushing dealers to sale even when they thought something was wrong.

But I thought the number was 4 or so. not 2.. but damn.
Kinda ridiculous I've bought multiple guns at a time, heck I've bought multiple of the SAME gun at the same time.. sometimes when you find a god deal you just gotta get more then one.

Even though they'd be exempt how many people who went in to buy a mosin when they was 50-60 bucks bought several at once? I bet a lot of owners did that.

Imagine couples buying multiple of the same gun so they have "pairs".. and they see that as a sign of trafficking? way too low a number to indicate that imo.
Old June 20, 2017, 12:32 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

The ATF requirement for FFL dealers reporting multiple same day sales (and anything more than ONE is "multiple) goes back well before "fast & furious".

Yes, the idea is to help them spot traffickers, particularly the kind that buys several guns at one shop, and does the same thing at the shop across town the next week. Guys that buy 3 or 4 ONCE, or once or twice a year, aren't the people they are looking for, but to find the ones they are looking for, they need all the data to sort through.