The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Beavinaz

New Scope

Looking at the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm. Anyone have one and what is your opinion. I have read some reviews, mostly good but some people just don’t like anything.
Old August 31, 2018, 10:44 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I have several of them. I consider them to be one of the best scopes (for the money) Leupold ever produced. Mine all have the AO feature, but that's not necessary if you're buying it for hunting rather than target shooting (I do a lot of target shooting). The clarity of the scope is nearly as good as any of the VX-3's I own. I have absolutely no criticisms of this scope in any way. There are better scopes out there, but you have to pay a lot more money to get a better scope. I rate this scope two thumbs up.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
hub1home

The Leupold is one of the best scopes on the market for the money. If the image is clear to you, go for it! One of my pet peeves are gun magazines constantly doing reviews on scopes that are $1000 or more.
Old August 31, 2018, 02:15 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

You may want to reconsider the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm. It's been discontinued according to Leupold's site.
"...pet peeves are gun magazines constantly doing reviews..." That'd be their job. The gun rags are nothing more than extensions of the assorted manufacturer's marketing departments. Have been for eons.
12x can be too much magnification. Depends on the application and the cartridge used. And don't buy stuff, especially optics, based on the name either.
Old August 31, 2018, 02:28 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

It doesn't make any difference whether or not it's discontinued. Leupold will honor the warranty for anyone who owns the scope....even without a receipt or paperwork....forever. Leupold has "discontinued" all their scopes over time. The series of Leupold scopes is very, very long. There is nothing wrong with buying a "discontinued" model. Right now the VX-2's are selling like crazy on most web site "for sale" forums. They don't last more than a day or two over on Rimfirecentral. The fact that they are discontinued makes them an even better deal if you can find them on close-out. I recently picked up a new one that way for just over two hundred bucks. You'd be very hard pressed to find many negative reviews on this scope and it's easy to find an awful lot of very good reviews. There is nothing wrong with 12x magnification. I use it all the time to try out different loads (I can see my bullet holes on paper) and to shoot small critters at long distances. Yes, it's probably too much for shooting deer under a hundred yards, but if you don't have binoculars with you the 12x makes seeing horns, etc pretty easy. The fact that it's a variable allows you to choose which power you want to use. You don't have to use 12x if you don't want to. One of the biggest reasons Leupold continues to change their model line-up is that a lot of people are wanting lighted reticles and 4x or 5x zoom ratios. I don't feel that those are truly necessary, but marketing sells a lot of product when they offer new bells and whistles. Get the scope, you won't be sorry. If you are, you can sell it almost immediately and not lose much, if any money in the process.

Last edited by NoSecondBest; August 31, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old August 31, 2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Beavinaz

I have already ordered it, will be here tomorrow. I will let you know what I think of it.