The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
NINEX19

Dick's no longer selling "assult rifles" and all firearms under age 21.

"Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. said on Wednesday it will no longer sell assault-style rifles and will ban the sale of firearms to people under the age of 21."

"Dick’s also said it will end the sale of high-capacity magazines"...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...t-style-rifles

I never bought from them before because of many various reasons, but they lost all possibility of me buying from them now.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:26 AM   #2
zipspyder

I bet they still sell AK47's because you know, hypocrisy.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:27 AM   #3
rickyrick

Corporations are teaching us morals, and people are loving it.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:30 AM   #4
ammo.crafter

Dicks

I just unsubscribed to their emails and mailers.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Dick’s has never missed an opportunity to throw gun owners under the bus. They want to be the next Oshman’s in a bad way.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Dusty Rivers

my right

They have the right to do this, but we have the right to shop elsewhere, free choice ( at least for now).
Old February 28, 2018, 10:12 AM   #7
BBarn

Several of the larger big box stores have caved on guns before, then resumed selling them when gun sales began to rise sharply. It's all about appearances and profit. Whatever balance between the two a company's leadership thinks makes sense at the time guides their policies.

Fortunately retail competition abounds and we aren't forced to rely on only a few places to purchase our shooting products.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:19 AM   #8
zukiphile

Didn't they pull this pusillanimous nonsense after Newtown as well?

I don't think it helps as much as they think it will. People Like Us (PLUs) will remember that they are a craven chain store, but I doubt that when it comes time to buy a canoe or a pair of yoga pants that someone will say "I'll be sure to buy from Dick's because of how they stopped selling a rifle I don't understand after a shooting".

The same applies to cutting commercial ties with the NRA. PLUs will remember the slight long after the luster of feigned virtue has gone dull.
Old February 28, 2018, 11:32 AM   #9
RandyC

That news release wasn't meant for gun owners. We rarely visit the place anyway except for maybe some sportswear.

Considering what a small percentage gun sales contributes to their bottom line, they can pander to the media, get free advertising and give up virtually nothing.
Old February 28, 2018, 11:49 AM   #10
doofus47

de-listed myself, although I agree that the impact is small anyhow.
Old February 28, 2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Lohman446

My concern is that we create an "industry standard" around the term "assault rifle". Granted the standard being created here seems just bizarre to me - the AR15 but not AK47 variants?
Old February 28, 2018, 01:07 PM   #12
rickyrick

There was one time assault rifles meant select-fire rifles that used an intermediate cartridge.
The AWB defined what an Assault Weapon was. Many will not admit the fact that the term Assault Weapon is a legal Definition. Yes our beloved AR15 is indeed legally considered to be an Assault Weapon.

This go around I’m seeing the terms intermixing together in the news articles; sometimes in the same sentence. It’s going to be all semi autos now. Semi automatic rifles are the “military style” rifles that they are talking about.
Old February 28, 2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Lohman446

Yep - I saw one reference to the "assault weapon ban of 2018" that references any semi-auto rifle or pistol with a detachable clip. So like 99% of semi-auto handguns. I'm sure there is a counter-example out there on handguns but I don't know it.
Old February 28, 2018, 01:30 PM   #14
weblance

People actually shop at DICKs...? Really? That's pretty funny. I made the mistake of going in DICKs once. They were 50% higher in price than my LGS. WHY would I give DICKs my money, so they can continue catering to the LEFT? I couldn't care less if DICKs quit selling guns completely. I wont ever buy one from them, and if I would ever need a brightly colored gym bag made in China, I'll just get it online. DICKs has been dead for many years as far as I'm concerned.
Old February 28, 2018, 02:36 PM   #15
DaleA

Yeah, Dick's made a big deal about not selling 'assault weapons' after Sandy Hook. But according to this story after a few months they resumed sales in their 'Field and Stream' stores.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/b...le-rifles.html

Don't go to the above story unless you want your blood pressure raised...they have a 'graphic' showing how mass shooters 'Attack With the Rifle Firepower Typically Used by Infantry Troops.' Sheesh.

Not selling guns to under 21 year olds who can legally buy guns? Well good thing for Dick's it's about GUNS and not refusing to sell something like a CAKE.
Old February 28, 2018, 02:42 PM   #16
croberts

I've been to Dick's on black friday before to buy ammo. I guess that's over.

Unless they were selling it at a loss, if that's the case, then I'll be buying twice as much on black friday.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:05 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

I called Dick(head) Sporting Goods after their decision to stop carrying AR 15's in 2014. I haven't been in their store since. The current announcement is a bit of virtue signaling only.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:19 PM   #18
5whiskey

Quote:
Considering what a small percentage gun sales contributes to their bottom line, they can pander to the media, get free advertising and give up virtually nothing.
^^^This. I haven't gone to Dicks for any kind of firearm/hunting/fishing purchase in a long time, nor do I know anyone who does. Occasionally I buy my kids soccer cleats or basketball shoes there, or have in the past. I would peruse their outdoors section (they call it the lodge, I believe), and remember why I go elsewhere. I almost never see anyone in the outdoors section... they just don't cater to it. Dicks could probably give up "The Lodge" and focus more on Golf, gym equipment, and other stuff and not lose any money.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:23 PM   #19
mcb66

Didn't we just go through two years of news story's about how a retailer can't legally refuse a purchase due to religious or moral issues?
Old February 28, 2018, 04:59 PM   #20
jmhyer

I understand (but don't agree with) their decision not to stock and sell AR15s. That's their prerogative.

However, if they stock and sell other long guns, I don't see how an attempt to not sell those guns to persons under 21 could stand legal scrutiny. That could easily be considered discriminatory...akin to the baker (who sells wedding cakes) refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple. If you stock and sell a legal product and an 18 year old has the right (by federal law and most states' law) to purchase it, you should be required to sell it to them.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:44 PM   #21
762shooter

Stopped shopping at Dick's when they would not sell me .45 auto ammo after the clerk heard me telling other customers that I was going to use the case lot for 1911 in IPSC match-- ok for rifle use.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:44 PM   #22
rickyrick

No one will ever win suing a store for not selling a gun to an 18yo.

Can’t compare to the bakery, as it is not the same.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:54 PM   #23
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb66
Didn't we just go through two years of news story's about how a retailer can't legally refuse a purchase due to religious or moral issues?
Quote:
No one will ever win suing a store for not selling a gun to an 18yo.

Can’t compare to the bakery, as it is not the same.
That's right. An individually owned bakery has a much better argument for not providing personal service as protected by RFRA that a publicly owned chain store does for arbitrarily refusing to sell a commodity.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:59 PM   #24
Evan Thomas

As long as they're refusing to sell to everyone under 21, they should have no problem. What's problematic is the refusal of service to members of a protected class: the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation (which includes stores) on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin. In many states, these protections extend to gender and/or sexual orientation.

Dick's could, if they chose, refuse to sell to anyone wearing camo -- and that would be perfectly legal, as long as they apply it to everyone.
Old February 28, 2018, 06:26 PM   #25
Kvon2

A lot of people are upset about it but I really don't care. Dicks firearms are way over priced unless you want one of the shotguns or .22s that they get hefty discounts on.

If you don't like it(I don't), then take your business elsewhere(I will).