The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Killabee-23

Free float hanguards for AR-15

Hey guys so i am really wanting to upgrade to a free float handguard for my S&W M&P 15 i need some recommendations and i dont want to spend over 75$ i know what some of you are going to say oh anything under that is junk. I refuse to believe that. Another question i have is does any of you know what the measurements are for the barrel nut on the M&P 15 is it 1 1/4" ? cause thats the size i need it to be but i cant seem to find it on the internet.
Old March 12, 2016, 01:30 PM   #2
rickyrick

I got a decent carbine length from rousche sports... But, they no longer have the one that I purchased, so the rest may be junk.
Old March 12, 2016, 01:36 PM   #3
fourbore

I have one of these (hogue) in carbine, while I wait impatiently for other parts.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...aluminum-black

The price was right, the grip is very positive, not smooth and comfy. It has a knurled surface. I like it, just saying that is what you get.

Hogue also makes an over molded, comfort model. I may try those sometime. More dollars. I think if you shop around, that might fit the budget.

As for the nut, maybe you dont know or you do- the nut comes with the hand guard. You will have to remove the front sight/gas block driving out pins. Using a special wrench remove the barrel nut. That will be tight. Later use a strap wrench for the Hogue. Also special blocks to hold the upper in a vise while you work. I maybe corrected as I am still a barrel nut virgin.

Edit: One more thing. When I get the gas tube, I specified one, pre bent for Hogue. Just a heads up, that could be gotcha. Or not?

Last edited by fourbore; March 12, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old March 12, 2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Killabee-23

Sorry i should have mentioned i want a 12" free float with a top rail that matches up with my upper so i can replace my A2 front sight post with a magpul front flip up sight. And by the way how long is carbine length is it the same length as the stock A2 handguards?
Old March 12, 2016, 04:19 PM   #5
WVsig

If you only want to spend $75 on a freefloat I honestly have to ask why bother? Are you shooting with a sling a lot where you are putting pressure on one side of the barrel? Are your groups poor?

You are not going to replace the A2 front post, get backup sights and freefloat the gun for $75.

Magpul BUIS $80
Low profile $45
Rail $75 to $200 depending on quality.

I am sorry but if you are looking at a $75 freefloat I doubt the change is going to effect your groups or your performance in any real world shooting. I would ask why you "need" a freefloat rail in the first place? If that is what you want why did you buy a rifle without one?

If you were going to put $75 into that rifle to improve its performance I would get a ACT Combat Trigger. I can almost 100% guarantee that it is the Indian not the arrow determining the quality of the groups you are shooting. A cheap free floating rail is not going to help.

Last edited by WVsig; March 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:05 PM   #6
fourbore

Not my style, but it seems to fit the bill. No experience and no reason to suggest this, just time on my hands and I did a search.

Anything I see offered on midway, I found if I spend enough long hours I can find for a little less someplace else. Or wait for a sale, when you quickly find out most of the prices, every where, are AR inflated. Or should I say Hillary-flated.

THIS LINK WAS A BIG MISTAKE, SORRY. I HAVE REMOVED IT.

I am going on the assumption sights and gas block are excluded from the $75 budget. I would think the A2 gas block could be cut, ground and carefully reshaped. Would 12" cover it up anyway? And if the plan was to purchase a new gas block, then save the money and apply to a slimer front guard?

Last edited by fourbore; March 13, 2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:24 PM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
UTG Pro 2-Piece Handguard Quad Rail AR-15 Rifle Length Matte with Black Rail Guards
That does not look like a free float tube, but a non-free float handguard like the horrible things the army used to use.

If you just want to free float the barrel there are plenty of tubes for less than $75, but sticking a front sight onto that tube may not result in a consistent POI if you want to sling up.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:43 PM   #8
marine6680

There are no quality railed freefloat handguards for less than $100... You may find an ok rail, but overall the alloy is likely to be poor, and fit and finish as well. The rail specs may be off too.

Bump up your budget another $50 or so and you will have more luck.

The Samson evo rail goes on sale for $125 pretty regularly on various sites. It uses the stock/standard barrel nut to mount.

The UTG pro may not be too bad, it's about that same price, it's on the heavy side from the specs I seen.

The ATG free float rails vary in price, but are a bit more expensive, starting around $125-150 if memory serves. They are good from all accounts.

Free float rails allow you to isolate outside forces on a barrel when shooting. Unless your barrel is capable of sub MOA groups, you are not likely to get better performance with a free float, especially at 100yds or so.

Free float rails do not increase accuracy, they increase consistency when shooting from a rest or using a sling.

They do allow adding accessories pretty easily, but so does the magpul handguards. Some like the look of them better than standard handguards. They do allow you to get the front sight post out of the way or a red dot, but I do not find that a problem myself. Magnified optics have no problem with a front sight post either.

If you want a free float rail, then by all means get one, I only mention the above so you will be realistic with what you want and expect.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:48 PM   #9
marine6680

Oh... I just remembered I have a Samson Evo that I am not using any more.

If your budget is fixed, I have no need for it and wouldn't mind parting with it.
Old March 12, 2016, 06:34 PM   #10
fourbore

Quote:
That does not look like a free float tube, but a non-free float handguard like the horrible things the army used to use.
Sorry, my mistake. I just did a quick perusal looking at the pics.
Old March 12, 2016, 06:55 PM   #11
Xfire68

Check the AR15.com exchange for deals. I picked up a Yankee Hill Machine 12" free float last night for $75 shipped. As a matter a fact I bought my last 2 on the exchange both being YHM. The first one was a Diamond Series 9". Love it.

Be sure to check for positive feedback when dealing with people on the exchange.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:15 PM   #12
raimius

The whole point of a free-float tube is to isolate the barrel from point of impact shifts caused by sling pressure or support pressure. If you put your sights on the tube, now your barrel doesn't move with pressure, but your point of aim does! If you are looking for maximum accuracy, you don't want to do that.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:19 PM   #13
fourbore

maybe this, 110 (free shipping)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-...handguard.html

with the money saved by reworking the front sight/gas block?
Old March 12, 2016, 09:51 PM   #14
rickyrick

The carbine length will stop just shy of the gas block, but in any case the gas block will need to come off since you have an A2 sight. A low profile block from a reputable source will start at 30 bones an go up from there; unless you takes hacksaw and dremel to the A2 sight, then you can leave it in place.
I understand the aesthetic appeal, but it would not yield any performance results unless you're using an optic.

I free floated my pistol AR because it looked better, so no judgement from me.

The best bang for your buck would be to keep the original length (I'm assuming carbine) and your original a2 sight. If you go longer, a new gas block is in order (if you don't hack down the old one)

I hope this makes sense; I've already partaken in captain Morgan rum, so my typing skills are slipping.
Old March 13, 2016, 07:54 AM   #15
srommes

Hard to beat the UTG Pro rail that fourbore posted. I just ordered a second one as I had a 7% off coupon from Optics Planet. Ended up costing me $102 shipped. You won't find a better deal in a quality rail than that. Drop anoter $25 on a Yankee Hill low profile gas block and you are set. BTW - I'm putting this on a carbine as well. These rails are so light that you really only sacrifice a few ounces as compared to a standard carbine handguard.
Old March 13, 2016, 10:29 AM   #16
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by srommes
Hard to beat the UTG Pro rail that fourbore posted. I just ordered a second one as I had a 7% off coupon from Optics Planet.
But that's not a free-float rail; it's just a drop-in replacement for the standard handguards. The OP specifically stated that he wants a free-float rail. Also, the one that Fourbore posted is rifle-length, he'd need a carbine-length one.
Old March 13, 2016, 10:51 AM   #17
srommes

Yes it is a free float rail. Look again. Also, he stated that he wanted a 12 inch free float rail. This is a 13 inch. He can put whatever size free float rail on that he wants. It doesn't have to be a carbine size just because he has a carbine. I put this 13" UTG Pro rail on a mid length and the one I just purchased is going on a carbine.
Old March 13, 2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by srommes
Yes it is a free float rail. Look again.
No, it's not a free-float rail. Here's the link, notice that it's simply a drop-in replacement for the standard handguards. Here's a direct quote from the product description:
Quote:
Designed with Innovative Alignment Tabs at the Front for Perfect Fit with the Standard Triangular Front Cap
Free-float handguards don't attach at the front, that's what makes them free-float.
Old March 13, 2016, 11:08 AM   #19
rickyrick

I agree... It's a drop-in hand guard, not a free float.
Old March 13, 2016, 11:15 AM   #20
fourbore

I messed on my first post. This is a two piece, looks ugly to me and a mistake (one mistake kinda hijack the thread, sorry):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/127...ck-rail-guards

But, this one I think I got right and it look good too:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-...handguard.html

The second one is on sale, free shipping. These seem to be priced by the inch, so another option 'might' be to expose the gas block with a mid lenght. I sure dont know. Just saying price goes up with length and the cantilevered (leveraged) stress on the receiver would as well.

And just to add to the confusion, both are UTG. I wish I deleted that first post. I can take it back now, but; then the whole thread gets messed up.

Last edited by fourbore; March 13, 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old March 13, 2016, 11:59 AM   #21
srommes

I was referring to fourbore's post number 13.

Last edited by srommes; March 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old March 13, 2016, 09:05 PM   #22
gman3

Maybe I will get flamed for this. Save a little more money and get a JP tube and barrel nut. For the purposes of installing a free float rail, the arrangement with theirs is about as good as it gets. Assuming that you have a good barrel, another good investment for accuracy purposes is an adjustable gas block.

Not cheap, but also doesn't require a mortgage either. My take is that if you are going to spend your money, get something good for a little more.

Tags
ar-15 , barrel nut , free float ar15 , handguards , s&w m&p 15