The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 19, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

handgun suppressors or "silencers"

I have a bunch of woods in my back yard and (like I did today) I sometimes want to test fire a weapon. However, I do have some neighbors maybe hundreds of yards away (not in the area of the woods and I am in the country).

Got the "bright" idea today of maybe using a suppressor/silencer (aren't they one in the same?) so as to not have the neighbors hear.

Not illegal to shoot as best I can tell.

But, it seems as though to put a suppressor on a hand gun, you got to go through a bunch of beaurocracy and pay a 200 (+-) tax and fill out paper work and get approvals with the Sheriff in addition to the cost of the suppressor.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Seems like a pita to be quiet.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

http://www.silencershop.com/support/...buy-a-silencer

Enjoy the read
Old July 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
dontcatchmany

Thanks 5.56.

Heck I have an AR15 in 5.45x39 rifle that is loud even with muffs on.

But for what I want a suppressor, I can not see the worth in pursuing it.

Thanks again.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:27 PM   #4
weblance

Quote:
But, it seems as though to put a suppressor on a hand gun, you got to go through a bunch of beaurocracy and pay a 200 (+-) tax and fill out paper work and get approvals with the Sheriff in addition to the cost of the suppressor.
Thats pretty much the way I went... but believe me, IT IS SO WORTH THE EFFORT. The first time you shoot with a quality suppressor, and the correct ammo, you will simply not think its possible to be so quiet.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Machineguntony

Go the trust or corporation route. It's so much easier and it'll save you three weeks of waiting for the chief law enforcement signature.

Just do it and then forget about it. And one day your stamps will arrive.

I'm trying to forget. Doesn't work. The wait sucks.
Old July 20, 2013, 02:36 AM   #6
David Hineline

The Chief Law Enforcement requirement is going away as soon as BATFE finishes processing the changes.

If it's too much trouble then there is no regulation on silenced air rifles. You can buy quality high power rifles and perma mount silencers to them and hunt/shoot in the woods.
Old July 20, 2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Skans

I want a silenced handgun. I just wish someone could make a really good integrally suppressed 9mm. With good balance and a fairly compact design. Am I really asking too much??? That would get me off my rump to do the paperwork, part with my money and wait forever.
Old July 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Skans posted
I want a silenced handgun. I just wish someone could make a really good integrally suppressed 9mm. With good balance and a fairly compact design. Am I really asking too much??? That would get me off my rump to do the paperwork, part with my money and wait forever.
I can't think of a single advantage to an integrally suppressed 9mm other than a little less bulk (though you'd only save a few inches at most). And the disadvantages would be huge: mainly you couldn't move your suppressor around to different hosts. My Octane 9 works great on any caliber 9mm on down; I shoot .22 though it and it's the quietest .22 suppressor I've ever shot. I can even put it on a 300 Blackout rifle (subsonic only).

There's not a large market for integrally suppressed firearms (and I've never seen an integrally suppressed 9mm handgun). The vast majority of people figure that if they're going to spend all that money plus the $200 tax and then have to wait 7 months, they want something that can be used on more than one gun and can be removed from the host firearm.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Armorer-at-Law

If you are really only wanting to test fire at a particular location, you can build a sound suppressing device that is not attachable to a firearm without all the legal restrictions of the NFA (check your state laws). The most popular is to fasten together a row of relatively small diameter tires (think wheelbarrow or small car) to form a tube. Set that on a table or put legs on it. When you shoot through the "tube" with the muzzle inside the first tire, it greatly reduces the sound.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Lark

I make my own on the ATF form 1; big time worth it in my opinion.