The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
arcticap

The 47% Miniature Uberti Colt Replicas

Check out these exquisite Uberti Colt miniatures.
Apparently they were made around the early 1980's.
The U.S. Historical Society also released some special ones with Colt factory letters.
Enjoy!

1. http://www.waynedriskillminiatures.com/id51.html

2. http://www.waynedriskillminiatures.com/id52.html

3. http://www.waynedriskillminiatures.com/id67.html
Old July 11, 2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Hardcase

Well, darn, they're not 47% of the price. They are cute little buggers, though!
Old July 11, 2011, 02:57 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Small guns that pack a big wallop (price). They're fun but it is a highly specialized collecting market.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Andy Griffith

Seems that I read an article sometime years ago where some people have actually shot these (or perhaps some other models of) miniature firearms. I'd hate to try to clean it!!! Some feller actually makes miniature firing ammunition with his models.
Old July 11, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Hardcase

Our (rather spectacular) military firearms museum here in Boise has a couple of miniature Tommy guns that are functional, firing replicas. I don't recall the caliber, but it seems like it was some sort of small centerfire, maybe a .32. They're pretty nifty looking guns!
Old July 11, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Thanks for sharing that! They are cute - there's no doubt about that! But, like has been mentioned, they aren't 47% of the price of a big one!

I've seen miniatures though out the years that fellows have done and have always admired 'em. These reminded me of Myron Carlson, who sadly, is no longer with us. He always set up at Friendship and specialized in hand forged furniture for Virginia and Bean rifles. He was a master and one heck of a nice guy. He'd made some beautiful Bean style rifles and then got in to making miniatures of them - I don't remember the scale but I think it was perhaps around quarter size. They were beautiful. He always said that thee was more labor in to making the miniatures than the full size ones and I can believe it.

Thanks again for posting the thread - different and very nice!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 11, 2011, 06:13 PM   #7
SDC

The Russians are also making some sweet-looking miniatures (including Walkers, Dragoons and Patersons) at http://miniaturearsenal.com/miniatur...rson_1835.html
Old July 11, 2011, 08:05 PM   #8
BrittB

Maybe I just don't get it but why would you pay more for a miniature than you would pay for the real thing?
Old July 11, 2011, 08:13 PM   #9
ZVP

The Europeans have always had a certain fascination with mineatures. Some airgun manufacturers have marketed mineature rifles that actually cock and fire!
I am impressed with Cutaway Guns. That is also an art! To remove just enough metal to expose the action and still have it function!
ZVP
Old July 12, 2011, 09:15 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Well poop stain! That just shot the heck out of my LMT MWS money. But on the other hand A tiny Paterson
Old July 12, 2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Rachen

Wow

Actually, the manufacturer should have drilled out 2mm chambers on the cylinders to take 2mm pinfire rounds. These things are loaded with a priming mix and some black powder and they make a lot of smoke and noise when fired.

That would be really cool. Add a 9mm flare attachment to the front of these mini Colts and you can use 2mm blanks to launch 9mm fireworks for the Fourth of July. 9mm flares shoot up about 200 feet into the sky and they leave behind a brilliant green or red tail of sparks.
Old July 13, 2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Frontier

I have a Uberti miniature SAA Buntline. It even has the patent dates on the frame. These small guns are still available from Uberti and the 1866 Yellowboy is a peach - something like $2½K! They are actually made outside of the Uberti factory and assembled and finished in house.

ZVP I have a couple of photos somewhere of Uberti cutaway guns - I'll dig them out.

Rio
Old July 14, 2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Frontier

Here you go, ZVP. I don't think Uberti produces these but they were snapped in the factory a few years ago.

Frontier
Old July 14, 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
robhof

robhof

Many years ago, my brother and I went to Mexico City with our parents and there was a speciality gun shop near our hotel that had several miniatures including a 1/2 scale winchester that fired 22's and several b/p rifles and pistols that included ball molds and boxes. The owner of the shop spoke good english and explained that the small guns all shot either real bullets or pinfire blanks. We were 12 and 13 at the time and didn't get the details about the caps needed for the real bullet models, they were 17 and 22 cal and looked about like those Uberti's, but this was in the early 60's.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:58 PM   #15
AaronN322

Some mini Cartridges

Here is a cartridge case for one of the 47% Colts.

2x Size: Link
SUPER Size: Link

The 9mm in the back is full sized for scale.

From left to right:
  • 47% scale .45 Long Colt case made to fit the Uberti SAA's. It is made to 47% of exact SAAMI specs.
  • 1/2 scale .45 ACP made to perfect 1/2 scale SAAMI specs, to fit the Russian made 1/2 scale Colt 1911's and 1911 A1's
  • 1/2 scale 9mm Luger by Joseph Anzonelli - Headstamp: DWM K 4 17
  • 1/2 scale .30 Luger by Joseph Anzonelli - Headstamp: DWM K K 471
  • 1/3 scale Winchester .30-30
  • 1/3 scale .30 - 06 to fit the Miniart 1/3 scale belt fed Browning 1917 & 1919 machine guns.
  • 1/3 scale .30 Mauser dummy made by Miniart in Russia.
  • 1/3 scale 9mm Luger dummy made by Miniart in Russia.
  • 1/4 scale .45 Long Colt to fit the Alex Baez 1/4 scale Colt SAA's

And while we're on the topic:

Half scale cartridges by Leon Crottet. They are all fully functional half-scale versions made for his half-scale guns.
  • Half-Scale .22 Long Rifle
  • Half-Scale 7.65 Para Swiss
  • Half-Scale 7.65 Para Luger Carbine
  • Half-Scale 9mm Para - Old Swiss style Bullet
  • Half-Scale 9mm Para - Deeper Crimp
  • Half-Scale 9mm Para
  • Half-Scale 9mm Mauser Exp
  • Half-Scale 10.4 Ord Swiss Rev 1878
  • Half-Scale 10.4 Ord Swiss Rev 1872

And some variations on the 4.25mm Liliput

Old August 11, 2011, 07:46 AM   #16
DrLaw

I've seen photos of the 4.25 Lilliput, but never a photo of the cartridge like that. Thank you for posting.

The Doc is out now.
Old August 11, 2011, 10:10 AM   #17
maillemaker

Haven't been there in 20 years, but the Verlinden model museum in St. Louis had dozens or even hundreds of miniature firearms in their model museum.

Steve