The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 13, 2001, 08:36 PM   #1
twiceshy

Iver/Johnson History and value

Due to the passing of my grandfather I inherited one of his guns. ( I whould much prefer he was still here) however he is at rest! As for the gun which to me is a treasure and a family heirloom, I would like to know if anyone knows any info. as to it,s history , age or value.

It is an Iver/Johnson 410 breakdown. Champion.

Stamped on the barrel is -PAT D JUNE 15 15 Pats Pending

On the left side is stamped

IVER JOHNSONS

ARMS & CYCLE WORKS

FITCHBURG.MASSUSA

CHAMPION

Any information is greatly apreccated Thanks

Twiceshy.
Old December 13, 2001, 09:20 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Twiceshy, the Iver Johnson Champion was the standard grade version of their Model 36 single-shot shotgun. The Champion was manufactured from 1909-1956 in a wide variety of gauges, bores and even rifle calibers. Barrel lengths ranged from 26"-32", early versions were damascus, with a full choke. Metal finish was typically blued but I believe a nickel finish may have been optional. The Champion would also have a plain walnut pistol grip buttstock & forearm. In excellent condition a Champion might be worth about $125-$175. Because yours is chambered in .410 bore you might be able to add a $50-$100 premium. If you ever plan on shooting it again I would stongly recommend having it inspected by a gunsmith. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 13, 2001, 09:57 PM   #3
twiceshy

Thanks Steven,

I have no intetion to fire this gun, only keep it to hand down to my sons. It is an heirloom . but prehaps of little value on the market priceless to me ! thanks again for the reply!
Old December 13, 2001, 10:43 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Steve has you covered.

Here is some more Iver Johnson info for you. Can link out of this page for even more. Shotgun stuff is down the page a little ways.

http://www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/ijfaq002.htm#IJshot

Sam