The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 2, 2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

C&R renewal delays!

WOW, I usually answer this question with "not a problem", not ask about it. My C&R expired June 1. I sent in the renewal forms, sent the County sheriff his obligatory notice within a day of getting the renewal notice. Not being much out there in the milsurp market I don't have, or want, I really didn't pay much attention. Until I realized my old license expired June 1.
I just got off the phone with our friends at the BATF. I was told that my renewal was "pending". This is my 4th renewal, and I have never had a problrm in the past. Has anybody else been delayed past expiration when sending in everything immediately after receiving the renewal notice?
Considering today's political climate, this makes conspiracy theories very easy to believe.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 2, 2014, 04:47 PM   #2
madmo44mag

I've not heard of anyone having a problem with renewal.
Renewed my just a few months ago and had it back is 3 weeks.
With the current issues in our government who knows
Old June 2, 2014, 05:26 PM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
I've not heard of anyone having a problem with renewal.
Renewed my just a few months ago and had it back is 3 weeks.
Ditto. Mine expired June 1 also. I sent the app in in late Apr and got it back in three weeks.
Old June 2, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Chris_B

I have heard of delays, and that's why my renewal was sent in during April even though mine is up in July.

I have received...nothing yet.
Old June 2, 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Mosin-Marauder

What is this "C&R"? If It has anything to do with milsurps it sounds interesting.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old June 2, 2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What is this "C&R"? If It has anything to do with milsurps it sounds interesting
Class 03 Collector of Curio and Relics FFL.
Allows firearms that qualify as curios, and Relics by the BATF to be shipped to the license holder directly. No FFL dealer transfer, no NICS, no form 4473. $30 for 3 years. Simple form to fill out. No finger print, premise inspection, etc.
Basic C&R requirements, not necessarily milsurp, firearms 50 years old and older, firearms which a major portion of value is because of historic person, place, or event, or has been certified by a museum curator as historically significant.
Bottom line, you can order Mosin Nagants, Mausers, Hugo SKS, Chinese Thye 53 SKS, and more directly from the distributors like Southern Ohio Guns, AIM, Century, etc.
http://crffl.org/

Last edited by Cheapshooter; June 2, 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Think I'll make another call tomorrow to make sure. The person I talked to took the first three, and last four numbers of my expired FFL, and my name. Then told me she noticed my license was pending. Didn't seem real happy to be talking to anybody, or answering questions so I didn't ask why, or if there was a problem. Just said I guess their real busy, and backed up to which she just grunted a uhha. Or at least that's what it sounded like.
Old June 2, 2014, 10:14 PM   #8
chiefr

It has been my experience when dealing with the ATF is everyone you talk to will give you a different answer. It can take up to a months wait for a renewal.
Old June 3, 2014, 08:13 AM   #9
jrinne0430

One of my previous renewals took an unsual long time (5mo) and went past the C&R experation date. This past renewal went OK with a 2mo turnaround.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

No license as of today, June 10. So I called again. This time I got someone who actually acted as if they wanted to help. She told me it was issued June,6, and is in the mail. I guess my first call may have dislodged it from where ever it was stuck in the system. Now, let's see if it really is "in the mail".
Old June 21, 2014, 05:34 PM   #11
bob.a

I sent in a renewal in November 2012 for a license that expired Feb 1 2013. Nothing came; by early Jan I was getting worried. (They'd cashed my check a couple weeks after I submitted the renewal).

Called BATFE; a kindly lady told me they had a huge backlog; the renewal had been approved, but the actual license would be delayed. She sent a Letter of Authorisation, which stated that it would serve as a license for 6 months, or until I rec'd the new license. She said that if I still didn't get the license, she could send another LOA which would extend the authorisation for another 6 months.

Got the license a couple months after the first LOA.
Old June 21, 2014, 08:59 PM   #12
gyvel

I find some of these waits surprising; I sent my renewal app in the last part of April and had my new license back in less than three weeks.
Old June 25, 2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Update

It finally came a couple weeks ago. After the second call when I was told it was in the mail. It only took about a week to get here in the mail.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:33 PM   #14
lilguy

Mine is up in November. Does one wait for a renewal form from the ATFE
or go on line, what's the process?
Old July 31, 2014, 08:37 PM   #15
gyvel

They should send you a renewal notice about 60 days in advance. As I posted, my renewal took about 3 weeks total, I don't understand why there are delays from some of the other posters. YMMV.
SIFE
Old July 31, 2014, 10:47 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Haven't had a delayed renewal myself, yet, but the BATF does have limited personnel doing these and it's summer vacation time, could be a few people away from work for two weeks at the same time. Could happen again in December.
Old July 31, 2014, 11:19 PM   #17
lilguy

Thanks all. In Illinois you need a C+R lic to add a SBR to ones stable. Have not collected a qualifying CR gun yet. Will I need to follow the same procedure with a new CLEO letter?

Last edited by lilguy; August 1, 2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old August 2, 2014, 11:11 AM   #18
kilimanjaro

You do the CLEO letter with the initial application and each renewal.

Mine comes back from the Sheriff with a hasty initial scrawled on it. Maybe they keep a copy, maybe they don't.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Thanks all. In Illinois you need a C+R lic to add a SBR to ones stable. Have not collected a qualifying CR gun yet. Will I need to follow the same procedure with a new CLEO letter?
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think It's Apple's and oranges. The CLEO letter required for new, or renewal of you FFL whoul be separate from one required for the tax stamp for the SBR.

Quote:
Mine comes back from the Sheriff with a hasty initial scrawled on it. Maybe they keep a copy, maybe they don't
I never see a copy after sent. I doubt that the sheriff himself ever sees the original. Kinda think it gets filed in the round cabinet after they look at it.
Old August 2, 2014, 09:10 PM   #20
lilguy

In my village when you contact the CLEO about firearms they set up a file, issue you a reference # and you get a return letter from the chief. Just wanted to know if they required a new notification letter every renewal.
Old August 2, 2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
In my village when you contact the CLEO about firearms they set up a file, issue you a reference # and you get a return letter from the chief. Just wanted to know if they required a new notification letter every renewal.
It is required by the BATF on your renewal. Forgot which question, but there is a box to check about sending your CLEO a copy of the renewal form.
That's the Fed's requirement. What your CLEO does with it is up to them, and state and local law.
Lots of people get this question on the renewal way over blown. It doesn't say it has to be hand delivered, sent registered mail, requires an answer, or if you said pretty please may I. It just asks if you sent it.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:44 PM   #22
kilimanjaro

My letter says :

'This is to inform you pursuant to the requirements of the BATF that my application for Curio and Relics Collector License (FFL03) has been submitted for renewal.'

Sign and date. Doesn't need to be any more than that.
Old August 3, 2014, 08:59 AM   #23
gyvel

ATF requires you to send notice of renewal to you local CLEO. Where I am blessed to live, they keep them all in "File 13," aka, "the circular file."

In fact, they are somewhat annoyed at ATF's directives to send these to them.
SIFE
Old August 3, 2014, 12:57 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You do the CLEO letter with the initial application and each renewal.
Quote:
'This is to inform you pursuant to the requirements of the BATF that my application for Curio and Relics Collector License (FFL03) has been submitted for renewal.'

Sign and date. Doesn't need to be any more than that
My letter has been non-existent!

The copy that is required to be sent with the question about sending a copy to the CLEO marked with a highlighter. Maybe a sticky note on top referring to the question. No letter, no signature, no date, no problem.
Of course where others live the CLEO may have his own rules, and regulations just to make things more difficult for people.