The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1
yomama

Quail in AZ?

Where did they all go? We went today for hours, and didn't see one. Anyone having luck finding them?
Old January 20, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2
tomh1426

Only in places you cant legally shoot em.
Old January 20, 2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Fat White Boy

Where were you hunting?
Old January 20, 2008, 11:40 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

I was out hunting on ft. huachuca and saw about 10 birds in all and got one when I stepped on him.

I was hunting for rabbits, but did take a shot at a couple that were flying away with an off hand shot. I was using a bolt action 16ga with no6 shot so they were out of range and I missed. If I had been using my 12 ga citori or 1187 or 835 with 7 1/2 or 8 shot I would have bagged them.

Will go out next weekend in the same place and take along a "bird gun" instead of the rabbit gun.

The one I stepped on because he waited to flush too late (like a hen pheasant) and I actually stepped on him with my boot and never saw him (too busy looking for rabbits) and finished him of with the other foot.

still 1 rabbit and 1 quail was a good meal this evening.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 20, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

also foregot to mention I have a covey of the merriam quail that like to inhabit my yard and I am tempted to buy a bb gun and pick off a few (i live in town in)

Old January 21, 2008, 08:43 AM   #6
roy reali

Weather Related?

This is my second season hunting here in Northern Nevada. Everyone here is complaining about not seeing as many birds as usual. I have noticed fewer birds then last year. The theory I am hearing the most says that our weather can be blamed.

This area had very little rain and/or snow last winter. Our game biologists say that caused a poor hatch, therefore the number of birds are down.

I guess that may be the reason. But, whatever the reason, the number of birds, and for that matter small game animals, is down from last year around here too.
Old January 21, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
yomama

I was thinking about the bb gun to! I also love the comment only where you aren't allowed. Went to the mountain preserves today, and there were tone of them.

I went down to Tucson around Picacho peek.
Old January 25, 2008, 03:26 PM   #8
jonjon1885

i was wondering this my self, but more along the lines of i want to go on a quail hunt but never have and have nto hunted in az since i moved here. where would good places be to do this
JRW
Old January 25, 2008, 08:42 PM   #9
SamHouston

Don't see near as many Quail in TX that we used to see. Not sure if true but many blame it on the aggressive Fire Ants killing the chicks when born. Do you have Fire Ants in AZ?
Old January 25, 2008, 10:34 PM   #10
44 Deerslayer

While I'm not a quail hunter, I do spend every winter in AZ and my wife and I do a lot of desert hiking. We were just talking yesterday about not seeing any quail this year. There weren't too many last year either but this year they seem to be gone.

The coyotes seem to be way down too, we've seen a few but they are getting scarce. Same for jack rabbits. I think it's probably the result of the long term drought that's been going on for a number of years now.
Old January 26, 2008, 02:56 PM   #11
UniversalFrost

yes there were fire ants in the vicinity of where I was hunting (large areas that were bare near their holes, but the quail were in abundance the other day when I was out hunting and I am going out again sunday with either my citori or 1187 loaded properly for quail.

Will let you know how the hunt turns out.

Old February 3, 2008, 12:31 PM   #12
BIGR

Years ago as a young hunter I could jump a covey of about 15 quail about everytime I went out into the fields. Now days I very seldom see any. Must be the predators or the enviroment thats working on them, because I know its not my shotgun.
Old February 8, 2008, 01:12 AM   #13
Frankyoz

I think its a combination of things I posted the same thing about quail a few months back. I heard there was some decent hunting up in wickenburg. I think this year will be much better with all the moisture we have gotten will make for a nice spring with a big boost to the eco-system out here.
Old February 24, 2008, 12:18 PM   #14
longboard

BB gun?

Isn't poaching:barf: against the law.
And it ain't right.
Longboard
Old February 24, 2008, 05:21 PM   #15
UniversalFrost

who said anything about poaching.

back when the thread was new the quail were in season.

Also, it does not saying anything about not using a bbgun in AZ. Some of the BB guns no days are more powerful than 22 shorts and 22 longs.

Old February 24, 2008, 05:23 PM   #16
UniversalFrost

also, in town there is no law against shooting a BBgun, but you can't shoot a "normal" gun in town.

Arizona is not California! We are not as bassackwards as the folks in your state.

joe

Old February 24, 2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Tombstonejim

"yes there were fire ants in the vicinity of where I was hunting (large areas that were bare near their holes, but "

Huhhhhh Those are not fire ants. There are no fire ants in Cochise county. Those big red ants are carpenter/farmer ants absolutely nothing similar to fire ants. They do not attack living birds or animals. They live off of a fungus that they grow in there nest. If you ever step in a real fire ant nest you will learn the difference.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:56 PM   #18
UniversalFrost

ok, not a native arizonan. where I grew up in SD and OK any large any mounds were fire ants.

learn something new.

Old February 25, 2008, 02:40 AM   #19
williamd

Drought

SoCAL quail are decimated the last several years. Dry, dry, dry .. and birds require a lot of water.

Of course, in SoCal Barbara Boxershorts has led an effort to put millions (literally) of acres in conservancy - no vehicles, no guns, no camp fires, ...... so maybe no quail matters little! Even fenced off an area in which I have maintained a couple of quail guzzlers for years! :barf::barf:

Of course if you are an illegal crossing the area, go for it!
Old February 25, 2008, 02:51 AM   #20
azsixshooter

The AZGFD seemed to be saying that this was supposed to have been a real firecracker season for quail down around the Tucson area since I guess they had a lot of rain down there last summer.

Personally, I haven't seen many quail up around the New River area so I didn't bother chasing them this year. I think FrankyOZ is right though, they will probably be out in better numbers next season with all this rain we've been getting up here. Especially if it continues and we get a really wet monsoon.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old February 25, 2008, 06:37 PM   #21
UniversalFrost

well, as long as I wear my same boots I will have no problem stepping on a few again.

Sure saves on the cost of ammo, when all it takes is a size 11 boot

Anyway, like I said before the doves and quail are in abundance in my back yard. now, just wish they were half as abundant in the fields I hunt.

JOE

Old February 25, 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
DMacLeod

UniversalFrost, If you want to get them without firing a shot just use some sno-cone cups, a little contact cement and some dried corn. Put the contact cment on the lip of the sno cone and lay it on its side. Then place a piece of dried corn in the end of the sno cone. Then a couple of more pieces leading up to the sno cone. The quail will eat the dried corn and try to get the one piece in the end of the sno cone. When it does the sno cone will stick to its feathers. Thus all the bird can then do is stand up with a sco cone on its head. Once you have a few bobbing around just go over and pick them up.
Old February 26, 2008, 03:56 AM   #23
MRL21

I can't say I have seen a lot of quail myself this year. Back in Safford, I could find all the doves I wanted to shoot. Never have cared for the meat, so I don't shoot them. Jackrabbits were in abundance as well, took down quite a few with the H&K Tactical.

I haven't gotten out a whole lot in the Sedona area so I really can't say what the quail and dove population is like around here. I can tell you there are some really nice bucks running around the east side of town, too bad you can't hunt in the city limits even with a bow.

I can tell you that to my knowledge shooting quail with anything other than a shotgun is illegal. Sorry to say it but a BB gun doesn't count as a scattergun. At least that is what the game and fish officer for unit 27 told me when I was in hunter safety class and at his house, since I was good friends with his grandson. Of course he has since retired and that was about 10 years ago, so maybe it has changed.