The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 02:33 AM   #1
jtyson

What are you feeding your 9mm shield?

I just picked one up today after months of looking. Sweet feeling little gun. I am looking forward to putting some rounds through it. Couple questions. Anyone notice where it started feeling broken in? Also, do they tend to be picky with any types of ammo? Or prefer any over others? I have carried .45 for quite some time, and have lost touch with the 9mm cartridge overall really.

Also, any holster recommendations? I went looking after I bought the gun today and found absolutely nothing local. There is a gun show tomorrow though, so maybe I will get lucky. If not though, what are you guys carrying yours in?
Old December 8, 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Biner

So far (about 150 rounds on a week old gun) I've just shot budget Federal and Winchester FMJ in mine, but with no issues at all.

I have a Galco KingTuk Kydex/leather IWB that's made for the other M&P 9s and 40s and the Shield fits in it firmly. I also have a molded leather Galco pancake holster that fits the Shield nicely. My Fobus Kydex paddle holster originally purchased for my M&P 40C is too loose for the Shield.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
shooter_john

My Shield has eaten 500-600 rounds of 115 gr FMJ's so far, along with 100 +\- Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P's, which is my 9mm carry round. It pretty much felt "broke in" after 5-6 magazines through it.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
P1090

I've run a good amount of stuff through mine, 115 grain Blazer Aluminum, Federal American Eagle, and pretty much any cheap 115 grain FMJ plinking stuff I could find. For self defense stuff, I've run some 124 grain JHP (can't remember the brand), 147 grain Federal Defense stuff, and finally settled on Underwood 124 grain +P JHPs for carry. Probably pushing 800+ rounds through mine, if I remember right.

Everything ran flawlessly minus the one FTE I had with Blazer Aluminum that I was pretty much trying to force. Was about 300 or so rounds in. Took a couple hundred rounds of Aluminum crap, and only managed to get it to fail once. In my experience, it'll run pretty much anything.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:54 PM   #5
jtyson

That is good news! Looks like I will just pick up some wwb fmj to break it in, and I will play around with some different jhp brands to see which one I like best.

Tried finding a holster at the gun show today, only one holster for this gun, and it was a questionable kydex iwb piece the guy was asking $55 for. So needless to say, I am searching the internet this evening for something better.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
angel71rs

Federal and WWB fmj, and a bunch of Freedom Blaster reloads. SD ammo I've run through it was Speer Gold Dot. GD has a pretty wide mouth, so if it will feed that, should pretty much feed anything. Mine has been flawless. I carry in a Remora, pretty comfortable. Pics:

Old December 10, 2012, 01:54 AM   #7
jtyson

I have seen the Remora before, and I just can't get behind the idea of a holster that doesn't attach to anything. I like the idea, but I see it being a problem. Either way thanks for the pics.

I ordered a crossbreed minituck last night. I'm interested to see how the shield feels with the small version of the classic.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Officer's Match

Actually my daughter carries her Kahr P380 in a Remora and loves it. No restrictions on placement - "clock" position or depth.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Sparks1957

Quote:
I have seen the Remora before, and I just can't get behind the idea of a holster that doesn't attach to anything
Try one out, I think you'll like them. They are surprising comfortable, and stay where you position them. They also don't cost a whole lot.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:47 PM   #10
thinktwice

I carry a Kahr MK-9 and a CM-9 in the Remora holster. They work great. I bet if you tried one you would like it.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
willmc33

My Shield here lately has been getting 115 grain FMJ and 147 grain Federal HST. It has had enough to know it likes it.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

My Shield eats Wolf and Brown Bear... and asks for more.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:41 PM   #13
PA Rockbouncer

Blazer brass 115 gr., Remington UMC 115 gr., Winchester white box 115 gr., all FMJ. Remington UMC 115 gr. JHP, Hornady 115 gr. XTP JHP, and Hornady 115 gr. critical defense JHP all ran great. Ultramax 125 gr. round nose lead is the only thing my Shield just will not eat. FTE at least twice per magazine. My Sig P250 and my Sigma both have 0 issues with the Ultramax and I shoot a decent amount of it so I know it's not the ammo. Between all the jacketed ammo I have at least 1000 rounds through the gun. It feels the same now as it did out of the box, I can't comment on break in. I carry it daily in a Tagua open top belt holster for a Glock 26. It fits great, maybe just a touch (1/4 inch or so) long (the holster not the gun). It works well for me, comfortable, tight, easy to wear under a t-shirt without printing (although my belly helps with this).
Old December 25, 2012, 12:11 AM   #14
breakingcontact

Shield great. 9mm ammo supplies not so much. 40cal guys got to be laughing and actually at the range.

Tried Raven holster. Greatly prefer my White Hat iwb leather/kydex holster.