The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old January 11, 2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Skadoosh

How long before TFL is deplatformed?

Because ARFCOM is under attack.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:21 PM   #2
TBM900

How do you know it’s “under attack” versus a server or other technical issue?
It wouldn’t surprise me if the commies come for the forums...
But I would like facts instead of speculation
Old January 11, 2021, 04:23 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Yeah, why don’t you discuss some facts instead of yelling “Fire” in a crowded theatre.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:28 PM   #4
TBM900

This was posted...

Old January 11, 2021, 05:23 PM   #5
rickyrick

TFL has moderation

The platforms being deplatformed Recently do not have moderation plans, so that’s why they are getting taken down.

There’s not much politics tolerated here, so TFL isn’t left or right leaning... not on anyone’s radar.
Old January 11, 2021, 05:34 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Don't be too sure of that radar thing. I cannot open TFL in the edge browser on my company laptop because it is blocked (chrome and presumably firefox work just fine) That's even at home on my own network and the VPN is not running. That started before last week; I don't know when.
Old January 11, 2021, 05:34 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Don't hold your breath.

But, yes, the sites being targeted right now have allowed people to talk about violent acts, potentially incite violence, and discuss causing harm to elected officials.

That is not allowed here.

TFL is hosted by CloudFlare, though...

Talk about guns, not politics, and there "shouldn't" be anything to worry about.
Old January 11, 2021, 06:32 PM   #8
BobCat45

There is a thread on AR-15.com currently about this, here is the link:
https://ar15.com/forums/general/Wash...rs/5-2413310/?

Not sure I understand this at all.

Last edited by BobCat45; January 11, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old January 11, 2021, 08:04 PM   #9
JefferS

https://therightscoop.com/breaking-g...m-its-servers/
Old January 11, 2021, 08:16 PM   #10
Mike38

Quote:
There’s not much politics tolerated here, so TFL isn’t left or right leaning... not on anyone’s radar.
True that about not much politics, but don't fool yourself about this forum not being on anyone's radar. It's 100% about guns and the shooting sports. You can bet the farm someone is watching it.
Old January 11, 2021, 08:41 PM   #11
rickyrick

Mike38, that’s probably a better way to put it.

Right now they want to end un-moderated social media platforms that people go to to talk politics and conspiracy theories. So, at the moment, I don’t think that they are as concerned about TFL. Once the current political climate resolves itself, then maybe gun forums will follow.
Old January 12, 2021, 12:20 AM   #12
101combatvet

Funny how some people just don't get it.
Old January 12, 2021, 12:21 AM   #13
rc

They would rather keep the sight up to data mine when they want to find out what someone has.
Old January 12, 2021, 12:28 AM   #14
5whiskey

Two huge takeaways from this, and I think both are extremely important...

1. First, it’s not prudent to discuss or suppose mass violence or a revolution is in order just because your pick for president didn’t win. Especially since there is no “central election office” or system that could be rigged in one spot. We have 51 different election systems (more counting territories), and to suppose that they were all (or even enough to ensure a sway of the election) were simultaneously rigged to produce a certain outcome is not realistic, given that the current presidential nominee won by 7 million votes. Discussing beliefs that there was fraud in some places is appropriate. Discussing a lot of things is appropriate. Discussing treason (“revolution”) or violence because you don’t like the results of a free election is not appropriate at all. And the fact that this does occur in significance makes my next point much more difficult to tackle...

2. Private companies in big tech wields way too much power, and they are not subject to constitutional mandates like the government is. Certainly, Google can’t kick your door in and take you to jail... but their power to control and influence public discourse will soon eclipse even the powers of the state to take your freedom. When you get to deem your political opponents as immoral, evil, and enemies of the people; AND you host platforms where 75% of the public speech in America takes place... well that’s a recipe for danger. Given the fact that there is now planned riots... I mean “armed protests”... in all 50 states on Inauguration Day, it’s hard for conservative voices to claim some kind of moral high ground over Google and twitter.

It may sound like I disdain DJT but I really liked most of his policies. Alas, it’s time for the party that does not support gun control to move past the DJT era. I personally pray there is a Ronald Reagan clone out there somewhere.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old January 12, 2021, 01:41 AM   #15
roscoe

TFL and THR distinguish themselves by not putting up with a bunch of heavy-breathers crying out that every liberal is a Communist who should be strung up.

Plus, there are plenty of liberal gun-owners (such as myself) who post here and are not silenced. Unlike a lot of gun forums, this not an echo chamber, nor is it a breeding ground for sedition.

Do we have members that have been identified as carrying zip ties over the barricades into the capitol, looking for Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence? Not as far as I know!
Old January 12, 2021, 01:58 AM   #16
Pathfinder45

Quote:
Funny how some people just don't get it.
Get what?
Old January 12, 2021, 02:48 AM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This site is all about discussing firearms and firearms-related activities and products. From the forum rules:

Quote:
5. Topics and conduct that will not be tolerated:

Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic. However, some very few exceptions may be made.
Conspiracy threads or posts
This discussion area is for asking questions about how site features work (or don't work), and for making suggestions about improving the site. This thread appears to be discussion a political conjecture. The question of whether or not the new administration (or certain parties acting outside of the administration) may try to shut down forums such as this is an interesting question that perhaps deserves to be discussed ... somewhere else.

Bottom line: it's politics, and it's conspiracy theory. Closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread