The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
viciouskitty

What is needed to start reloading???

Hey guys im just looking for info on what would be required to begin reloading. I'm looking at the basic lee reloading kits on cheaperthandirt. Its a Lee deluxe turret press kit that includes a scale, primer pocket cleaner, cutter and lock stud, chamfer tool, and a auto disk powder measure. I plan to reload 223, 308, 45 acp, 9mm, and 40 S&W. I'm looking for a cheap way to get into reloading but I'm wondering what else would I need? I know about the dies but what other tools would be required? any help would be great!
Old February 21, 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Start with this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

The "deluxe" turret is not the one you want... you want the "Classic" turret. Not that the deluxe wouldn't work but the classic is a better product in many ways.

You'll be wanting to add a kinetic bullet puller and a decent set of calipers to your list.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:29 PM   #3
jmortimer

I got the kit you describe before Lee Precision came out with the Classic Turret and it is fantastic but if you have the extra $$$ get the Classic - Here is good kit
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
I would get Richard Lee's Modern Reloading around $14.00 and Lymans 49th manual. Here is another good oneline source for Lee Precision https://factorysales.com/
You are wise to get the Lee Classic Turret. Read the owner reviews for equipment on Midway USA and Cabelas and you will see if something is worth spending your $$$ on. The Lee Classic Turret is the highest rated turret press regardless of price on Midway USA and it is a smoking deal. I use my turret press in single stage mode and that is a good way to start. I really like using powder dippers but I only load for self defense and not precision competition shooting. Most do not like the Lee precision scale but it is very accurate and since i use the powder dippers and hate weighing charges I like it just fine - all i have to do is weigh the first couple dipper loads to make sure of my charge weight. All you need is the kit and some dies, bullets and powder. The Lee Precision Delux Pistol die set is a great deal for $34.00 from Factory Sales linked above. God Speed.

Last edited by jmortimer; February 21, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4
chris in va

Don't do all calibers at once. I'd start with 45ACP as it's very easy. Load that for a couple months, then consider buying another die set.

Rifle reloading is a whole different animal from pistol. A few extra steps are involved.

I get most of my supplies from Grafs.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5
oldreloader

Patience and common sense
Old February 22, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6
maillemaker

I just got into reloading myself. Been doing it since Christmas. All I've done is .45 ACP at this point, though I intend to do 9mm later.

You will need:
A reloading manual
I also recommend "The ABCs of Reloading, 8th edition"

Some people say you can get by without a scale. But there are inexpensive scales out there for $25 or so so why not get one? They are useful for spot-checking loads.

You'll need a set of dies and some sort of press. Carbide dies are nice as you don't need case lube.

You'll need a set of calipers.

You'll need a bullet puller.

Pistol cases don't generally grow, so they don't generally need trimming. But necked rifle cases stretch with firing, and so they will need to be trimmed. So you'll need a case trimmer if you reload rifle rounds.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Needs, wants, other...

Vicious Kitty--For starters, try the sticky @ the top of this forum, entitled "For The New Reloader: Equipment Basics--Read This First". (mild sarcasm) It was put there just for you. (/mild sarcasm)

Besides that, Maillemaker's suggestion to get and read the book, The ABC's of Reloading is IMHO, right on. This is "the standard text" on the subject, covers all aspects of reloading, and goes from the very basics to 'way beyond. Belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed.

Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order it from the publisher, Krause Publishing, www.krause.com

You will also need a reloading manual (a "recipe book") but The ABC's is more a how-to and more importantly why-and-why-not-to type of book. So start there. Even if you decide not to get into reloading, you will gain from The ABC's, a far greater appreciation of what goes into the ammunition we shoot. I fail to see a downside to this.

Anyhow, good luck in your pursuit. Oh, and welcome to The Great Quest--Reloading!!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; February 22, 2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
silvercorvette

I don't know anything about Lee except what I have read from people that own them. It seems to be a crap shoot with Lee, some people have good luck and like them and others hate them.

A press is a long term investment and most companies offer a lifetime warrantee but Lee has a 2 year warrantee. I don't know how many stations the Lee has but a new reloaded should consider 5 station press as a minimum because it allows you to add a powder check station to catch your mistakes and add a extra level of safety

Dillon is probably the most expensive, I bought the 650 as my first press and after a long break from reloading due to my moving around I started back up again and added a second press, I added a Hornady AP.

You can get a Hornady for $400 and Hornady has a rebate of 500 free bullets when you buy their press.

I firmly believe in the old saying that only rich people can afford to buy cheap tools. If you buy quality you only have to buy once but if you buy cheap you wind up buying the same tool over and over.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:12 PM   #9
jimbob86

The Lee kits are the most bang for the buck. They work.

Quote:
cutter and lock stud,
You'll need a caliber specific case length guage to go with that.

You'll WANT a cutter and lock stud for each caliber so you don't have to take the case length guage off and switch it ut when you change calibers....
Old February 22, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
oneounceload

To get into reloading on the cheap, buying a quality single stage press from one of the better names like RCBS, Hornady, Forster, etc. would be a good idea so you can learn each step carefully and understand the process. A progressive can always be added or upgraded to at a later date
Old February 22, 2011, 10:27 PM   #11
Bush Pirate

You might try to find someone in you area that reloads. They might be able to mentor you on the process.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:54 PM   #12
prairiedoghunter

Theres some great advice in this post. I started with a lee loader and quickly moved to the lee classic cast press. Its only a single stage press but it allows me to make sure every bullet is made precisely and correctly. I have also used the lee case trimmer and lock stud and did not have a single problem with dulling or accuracy, its a handy cheap tool. I love the advice about buying only one set of dies at a time, the initial investment can get beastly and you dont want to do it for a while then decide its not worth the time. If you are planning on going full on and buying a turret press buying at least the classic cast turret is a great idea, from what ive heard the hornady ap press is a great do it all press.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:10 AM   #13
jeepstrapped

I am in the same boat and from the advice here, and elsewhere. My plan of action so far:

1. a.
Quote:
"The ABCs of Reloading, 8th edition"
b. Another book on reloading

2. Build a bench.

3. Buy reloading equipment.

4. Get advice, and starting help, from people I already know that reload.

I figure May or June is when I will actually start. Until then, a lot of reading and asking questions. A good part of this is also cleaning the garage to make space and build a bench.
Old February 26, 2011, 01:53 AM   #14
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for asking our advice

ViciousKitty,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for asking our advice

First off, you don't need a bullet puller until you have a bullet that needs to be pulled. I loaded for several years before I had one and several more before I used the one I got.

Same for many other things that many consider necessary (and become necessary eventually, some of them). If you have access to a store with a reasonable resonse time, waiting until the need arises is OK.

You should (as was suggested earliler) read the "sticky" thread at the top of the handloading portion of the forum and also take a look at this thread I wrote on another forum

The "Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader" was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had known then what I know now.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

Thread entitled "Newby needs help."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
My post 11 is entitled "Here's my reloading setup, which I think you might want to model" November 21, 2010)
My post 13 is "10 Advices for the novice handloader" November 21, 2010)

The first draft of my "10 Advices..." is on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Minimalist minimal
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

or if the links do not work, paste these into your browser

rugerforum.net/reloading/29385-budget-beginning-bench-you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
(posts are #11 and #13)

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Minimalist minimal (the seventh post down)
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

Good luck. Always wear eye protection, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in your press. Be safe. Always, all ways.

Lost Sheep

P.S. I am in Yuma right now, working on a borrowed computer, so my best resources are not available, but thes should get you started.
Old February 26, 2011, 07:08 AM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

First thing I would recomend getting is a manual, more than one is preferable. A dial caliper. I like the analog one (no batteries to replace). If you get the Lee Kit I would recomend a more user friendly scale. I have the Lee scale I still use it to check my other scale's accuracy. It is a process to use it. A bullet puller helps to have if you want to be able to salvage components from rounds you are not sure of, of know you screwed up.

Next dies will needed. As well as a case length guage, and lock stud for the rifle rounds. Used to trim the brass. You will need a bench that is solid. I would recomend using 2x6 or 2x12 to make the top. Over sized washers are helpful also to keep the bolts from digging into the wood when sizing the rifle rounds.

Most importantly you will need time, and attention to dedicate to the learning process.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:11 PM   #16
viciouskitty

Thanks guys for all the replies. Sorry about missing the sticky i guess im not that observant lol. I will start with a reloading manual and move on from there. I'm still on the fence for what sort of press i should get. I am gonna be loading far more pistol rounds that rifle rounds though.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:31 PM   #17
hk33ka1

Lee Manual
Lee 50th Anniversay Kit
Set of Dies
Case length gauge for bottle neck rifle (dont usually need to trim straighwalls)
Calipre that measures in .000"
Bullet puller
Table or bench to mount press and 1/4 inch bolts and nuts