The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
celtgun

Lil' Gun for 357

Please give experience/opinion on Lil' Gun for 357 Mag. Have read some folks that felt it was a cause of barrel erosion.
What weight/type bullet.
Use some 158gr LSWC and 175 GCSWC, as well as jacketed bullets.
Shoot L-frames, 581 and 686 (4 inch) a Colt 4" MK V nickel and a 6" Stainless Python.
Would like to try the Lil' Gun, but no way do I want to harm any of these pistols.
Thanx for any info, the folks here are great.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:13 PM   #2
rjrivero

I don't think Lil' Gun burns fast enough for .357. I expect it would flame cut quite a bit more than say Universal, or Clays.

Lil' Gun was designed for .410 and can be used in some light bullet rifle loads. I would leave it for that.

I plan on working up some loads with Lil' Gun for .223 Short barrel Applications. The Quickload data looks promising.
Old June 5, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Scott5

Hey Celtgun,
Check out this for 357 mag. loads with Lil'Gun.:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

And this from Steve.:
http://www.stevespages.com/357p_4.html

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old June 6, 2010, 06:57 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I would also recomend two others. First is Trail Boss not a whole lot of big bang, but it burns very clean, and fast. It leaves a bit of a white colored ash, but there appears to be no frame cut from it on my Ruger .41 mag.
The other powder I would recomend is Acurate Arms. I use #9 in my .41 mag. It is much cleaner than Aliant 2400, and does not leave much carbon at all.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:50 AM   #5
bamaranger

article

An article ran just this month in Guns & Ammo re Lil Gun and .357 , esp for carbines. Writer PIERCE praises it highly for top vel in carbines.

No use on my part.
Old June 7, 2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Clark

The Hodgdon data on 158 gr 357mag LIL'GUN is highly suspect.

Independent testing show LIL'GUN pressures the same as H110 for this bullet, velocity, and cartridge.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
GP100man

My exp

Lil`Gun is a powder that shines the brightest at MAX loadings & for a few huntin loads is fine , but to load a hundred & go to the range to "practice"
& to feel the BOOM no .

I think any powder loaded to that level will cause excessive heat & wear on the forceing cone.

Call Hodgdon & talk to em `bout the Freedom Arms revolver loadings , not sure but FA takes Lil` Gun to much higher levels & That`s where the erosion comes from.