The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
catzor

Reloading newbie having a problem with 9mm

So I'm using the lee 4 die carbide die set in a lee 4 hole turret. The load I'm trying to work up is a Dardas 124gr RN bevel base over 4.8gr Alliant Power Pistol.

My problem comes when I try to seat the bullets. With little/no mouth expansion, the bullet fails to grip the case, leaving it in the die when I lower the shell holder. At that point, I can screw in the bullet seat die and raise the case again, at which point it will grab the case with an extreme crimp. The shorter the OAL, the less frequently the issue arises. At 1.10in, it rarely fails, but at 1.14, failure is frequent.

I'm suspecting the "bevel base" portion of the bullets to be the cause, but I'm new to reloading so I don't really know what else to look at. Any ideas?
Old June 7, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can measure the bullet diameters to check that they're normal. And do be sure you are using the sizing and decapping die and not the crimp die to size them, but I suspect it is most likely you've got hold of some R-P or other thin mouth brass to reload. The darn R-P stuff is so thin, hard and springy that it often doesn't resize properly without a special extra narrow die. I believe Lee will make you one if you need it, but the thin, hard necks split earlier than thicker, softer brass, so I don't see that as worthwhile? Try a different case brand with a thick enough mouth wall, like Winchester, Federal, or Starline. Loose bullets are an unsafe condition because feeding can drive them deeper into the case, which raises pressure.

If the bullets are not normal diameter, that's your problem and you should get replacements, but if it is the brass, pitch it. Calipers are not usually more accurate than the nearest thousandth or so, so measure a known good bullet for comparison, first, or use an OD thimble micrometer for the diameter measurement.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 7, 2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Mike-Mat

This is a lead cast bullet, right? I just had that happen to me. Managed to find the happy medium of OAL and proper seating after fooling around with it.

I may not have as much crimp as I'd like, but the bullets are in there firm.
Old June 10, 2010, 11:18 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

relax, deep breath, exhale....

Examine the seat die; ensure ONLY the seating portion is in use (screw the stem down into the die farther).
Use the seat die to seat only; allow no other portion of it to contact the case in any fashion.
Then crimp with die #4.

(Try 5.2g Power Pistol, OAL 1.135--1.145").