The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 21, 2021, 05:40 AM   #1
Doug Ridley

Old age shooters

Sitting here every morning reading all the gun advice I got to wondering how many 90 year olds are there out there still shooting. i'm not there yet but will be next birthday. I'm not a great shot but I CAN hit the side of a barn esp. if I'm on the inside. Due to arthritis in my wrist I have had to go to .22s entirely for both range sessions and concealed carry. I feel pretty confident that if I ever am attacked by a barn I can protect myself as I try to get to the range at least once a week. So how about it, how many ninety year olds are still shooting and how many still carry?
Old June 21, 2021, 06:34 AM   #2
stuckinthe60s

probably more carry than practice.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 21, 2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Ricklin

Bravo!

The way I feel in the AM @ 65?
I'm seriously impressed that you are 25 years older and getting out to the range weekly.
Old June 21, 2021, 09:38 AM   #4
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ridley View Post
Sitting here every morning reading all the gun advice I got to wondering how many 90 year olds are there out there still shooting. i'm not there yet but will be next birthday. I'm not a great shot but I CAN hit the side of a barn esp. if I'm on the inside. Due to arthritis in my wrist I have had to go to .22s entirely for both range sessions and concealed carry. I feel pretty confident that if I ever am attacked by a barn I can protect myself as I try to get to the range at least once a week. So how about it, how many ninety year olds are still shooting and how many still carry?
Dang Dude, In a attack, my money is on you. A lot of wisdom and experience along the way. Something tells me, you can shoot a lot better than you are saying. Some jerk that wants to do you harm, might just be barking up the wrong tree.
Bravo to you Sir, my Hat is off to ya.
Old June 21, 2021, 11:02 AM   #5
mrt949

Will be 72 soon Got rid of the 40 cal .down to 357 mag and 22lr.
Lever action 22 lr and 357 mag
Revolver Ruger SP101 22 AND 357 MAG 4.2
Should cover it just put RED DOTS On levers
Old June 21, 2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Pahoo

"Vintage"; Not old

Quote:
Old age shooters
First off, I consider myself; Vintage, not old. I still hunt a little, shooting less and teaching regularly. .....

Most of my shooting buddies have physical issues that hold them back but stil have my grandkids to share good ties ..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2021, 11:25 AM   #7
jar

Not there yet but certainly hope to get there. I am at the age though when I truly understand just how much better somethings used to be; like the ground used to be much closer and easier to reach and the targets used to be more generous than those available today and 50 yards used to be jess over there while today it's a fer piece away.

Today size is less important than it was once but location, Location, LOCATION still dominates. Today my handgun is the sign of failure rather than a sign of success. If I need to use a handgun then it will be because all the other things weren't enough.
Old June 21, 2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Doug Ridley

Pahoo, none of my shooting buddies have anything wrong with them. But they can't find a pistol that will shoot through 6 feet of dirt. And I don't have any enemies that I know of cause they can't either. But joking aside there are two reasons I try to practice a lot-- 1. I have visions of a pair of 18 or19 year old idiots driving by and saying, "I bet that real old man who lives there has money (I don't) and it would be easy to get in and take it". 2. My son works in the gun industry and furnishes me with lots of ammo that I have to use up.
Old June 21, 2021, 01:08 PM   #9
TJB101

Heading into my early 60’s and wondering if that Redhawk in 44mag isn’t such a great idea.

God bless and stay vigilant.
Old June 21, 2021, 01:17 PM   #10
Pistoler0

Doug, but if a barn attacks you, try to shoot to wound and not to kill.
Old June 21, 2021, 01:34 PM   #11
Bob Willman

I'll be 81 in a few months. Started hunting, reloading and joined the NRA in 1964. Became a Life Member in 1967 - now a Benefactor Member. Got involved in bullet casting about 1971. I have deer hunted in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Ohio. Hunting Ohio with a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 44 Mag until straight wall 45-70 became legal here. Carry gun is a Springfield XDS in .45 ACP. Don't shoot as much as I used to even though I have a 50 yd. range in the back yard that will stop any shoulder fired caliber. I do not plan on giving up anytime soon.
Old June 21, 2021, 03:34 PM   #12
shurshot

My Dad will be 85 this August. He just bought himself a new S&W 642 snub .38 two years ago, and shoots it annually. Living in Florida, he likes the compact size and power of the .38 Special, as it carrys easily in cargo shorts for CCW.

Lots of "crazy" in Florida, always good to have some insurance in your pocket.
Old June 21, 2021, 06:30 PM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Just about to turn 67 in a couple months and the heavy loads in my .41 mag are pretty much reserved for my Henry. But I still love to shoot stout .357 mag loads, and am mostly burning up a lot of .38sp and 9mm. Lighter recoil sure is more appreciated these days.
Old June 21, 2021, 08:08 PM   #14
kenny53

I have been 68 for awhile now and have chronic back pain (ATV accident). I hit the range about 3 times a month. I shoot 45acp, 9mm, 357mag, and don't have any problems. Shooting is my favorite hobby.
Old June 21, 2021, 09:38 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

When ever I hear about age, I always thing of the great movie with Michael Cain. "Harry Brown". In the movie he is a old EX British Marine and gives the gangs hell. I love this scene below. "YOU FAILED TO MAINTAIN YOUR WEAPON SON! (after the bad guy was going to kill him, but his gun was dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Z0yr49xXw
Old June 22, 2021, 05:40 AM   #16
Doug Ridley

My original question was How many ninety year olds are still shooting and how many still carry? I'm still wondering. Does anybody know of any?
Old June 22, 2021, 06:31 AM   #17
RETG

Not sure I know anyone who lived to 90. The closest I could, possibly, come close to is a guy I worked with, lives in NC, and still goes shooting with his Dad and Mom. He's 74 so have to assume Dad (and mom) are damn close to 90. No idea if they carry.
Next time I talk to him, I'll ask.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 23, 2021, 04:30 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

I know some eighty somethings and its 22 LR.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:17 AM   #19
BCR1

I'll be 67 on 7/4 and go to the club every few days to shoot something. Until a year ago, I was riding my road bike 100 + miles a week but tore the Peroneus Brevis tendon in my right foot and I'm now unable to climb and city streets are boring.

I actually told my doctor that if all his patients were like me, he wouldn't have a job.

Bill
Old June 23, 2021, 10:20 AM   #20
Rob228

Im 38 but 21 years in the USMC has left me feeling broken every morning. Good on you for keeping it up. I can only hope to be that spry.
Old June 23, 2021, 10:22 AM   #21
Rob228

Quote:
Until a year ago, I was riding my road bike 100 + miles a week
I was doing that for a while while I lived in Colorado, typically thirty miles a day but then I moved to Japan and the drivers terrified me so I stopped riding. Then I moved to North Carolina and these are not bike friendly roads. Now to make it about shooting: I carried a 642 in my jersey pocket.
Old June 23, 2021, 02:50 PM   #22
Don P

Well Doug, I'm pushing 69 and some days feel like I'm 106. Carry every day and shoot USPSA and ICORE in competition. Old knees and some arthritis but I still get out and shoot, Am I competitive, against 25-35 year old's nope but I still have fun. just try to do better than the previous match
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 24, 2021, 09:47 AM   #23
dgludwig

Quote:
My original question was How many ninety year olds are still shooting and how many still carry? I'm still wondering. Does anybody know of any?
Your question asked specifically whether there are any ninety year olds on this forum who are still shooting and/or carrying. So far, there have been reports of eighty, seventy, sixty and even thirty year old somethings reporting that they are still shooting but no ninety year old somethings. If this is a contest, so far you're a winner! Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Last edited by dgludwig; June 24, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old June 24, 2021, 12:36 PM   #24
Doug Ridley

No contest, just wondering.
Old June 24, 2021, 02:00 PM   #25
7.62 man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ridley View Post
I'm planning to do it, I'll let you know if I do it in 24 years. LOL