The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2017, 02:25 PM   #1
kmw1954

Remington Small pistol primers

Looking for feedback on Remington small pistol primers.

I have one pistol that does not like CCI primers. I'm getting very small dimples with them and FTF, never an issue with this gun using Winchester primers.

Unfortunately I'm unable to find any Winchester WSP locally but I have located one shop that has the Remington in stock.

I have no experience with Remington primers which is why I'm asking.
Old March 13, 2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Sevens

In 25+ years at the bench and loading in high volume over the last decade, it just so happens that I have used nearly every primer offered EXCEPT Remington, so I can't help you with Remington.

I can tell you that CCI is what I have used most over decades and I trust them 100%. If I had a handgun that would not detonate a CCI primer, I would address the handgun and not the primer. The one exception is a well, well known scenario of a highly tuned S&W custom revolver with the lightest possible double action and it simply requires a Federal primer.
Old March 13, 2017, 03:31 PM   #3
kmw1954

Thanks, that was helpful!

The only ammunition this gun has a problem with is with CCI primers. Every load, factory or otherwise has all fired in this gun.
Old March 13, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4
reddog81

I've always thought CCI and Remington were the hardest, then Winchester and then Federal being the softest. This is based on nothing but what I've read on the internet.

I use CCI or Winchester. i did note that when using a lighten recoil spring in my GP100 the CCI primers wouldn't ignite while Winchestors would work. However this does nothing to help your situation, however my experiences mirror yours.
Old March 13, 2017, 11:27 PM   #5
BigJimP

Probably about 10 yrs ago I bought 1,000 Rem small pistol primers ....and I had some issues getting them to seat without some distortion / they seemed a little out of round....so I probably discarded close to 10 out of a 100 ...that didn't seat properly...../ and i had at least 10 FTF probably relating to the seating....even though they all looked deep enough....some fired on 2nd strike ...but some did not detonate.

So I discarded the remainder ...and went back to CCI ...with Win as my backup. For what it's worth, I reload and shoot about 25,000 handgun rds a year, almost exclusively with CCI ...and I've never had a misfire ( mostly 9mm )...in a variety of guns.....1911's and Sigs....

I would replace springs in the offending gun....and go back to CCI...vs Rem....
Old March 14, 2017, 09:45 PM   #6
kmw1954

So I've had it suggested to use Magnum Small Pistol primers to replacing the springs in the gun. Are the Remington primers really that bad or is it another case of brand loyalty?

This gun functions just fine with all factory ammunition I've put thru it and not a single FTF with any hand loads using Winchester primers.

Seems to me to be more logical to alter the offending primer than to alter an otherwise functioning gun.
Old March 15, 2017, 02:39 AM   #7
MarkGlazer

I've just finished loading my final 250 rounds of 9mm with Remington and won't go back. I was fortunate to get them during the shortage and used them in practice rounds. The failure rate for my Taurus G2 was moderate, 4-5 rounds per session.

That being said, I really think that it isn't the primer so much as it is the gun and how it works/matches with the primer. What I mean is this, my Tula primers have a higher than normal failure rate when loading for my Canik Stingray and my wifes' CZ 75 P-01. Yet they are virtually flawless when I load rounds for the G2.

I do understand that seating is always a variable. I use a Lee hand press and don't have any issues in that regard.

When it comes to SD/HD rounds, CCI only. I have been loading for about 5 years now, have had exactly 1 failure with a CCI primer during that time.

Be safe.
Old March 15, 2017, 05:33 AM   #8
Jeffm004

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SELLI...CK/2002898.uts

You could try these. I like them but I have no soft strike firearms either. I read they are softer than CCI.
Old March 15, 2017, 10:48 AM   #9
kmw1954

I agree 100% that there is nothing wrong with these primers other than my 92 doesn't like them. They have worked as supposed to in revolvers and the 9mm XD. Not a single FTF. In the 92 the failure rate is almost 50%.

With this gun I get nice deep, well formed dimples in all the primers that have come out of it accept for the rounds with the CCI primers.
Old March 15, 2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Sevens

I would caution you against making conclusions about what you visually see in a dent in a primer. When a cartridge goes off properly, the full pressure of the round will fill that primer cup with pressure around the firing pin when all goes off -- and a primer that doesn't go off won't have that appearance.
Old March 15, 2017, 03:58 PM   #11
kmw1954

Sevens I can't dispute in any way what you stated. Though the few empty cases I'd found that fired after a double strike the primer strike in both locations still looked lite.

I tried to take a few pictures but my camera won't focus close enough.

So I found some luck this morning with a local shop that does have some Winchester in stock though they are a bit pricey at $40.00 per k. and they are about an hour away.
Old March 15, 2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Remington small pistol are not reliable in my Colt. They do all fire - so far - in my SA but indents are ironed out and scraped.
Both guns are fine with CCI, Federal, and WW.
Old March 15, 2017, 09:34 PM   #13
armoredman

Been using the Remington 1 1/2 SPP in my CZ pistols for some years now. No issues. Have had issues with CCI and Winchester, but not Remington. The only issue I have with Remington primers is the 9 1/2 LRP seat with great force in 7.62x39mm, but they go bang every single time.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:29 PM   #14
kmw1954

So I just got back from the range and took the 92 and the XD along with an assortment of loads with both the CCI and WSP primers.

Before leaving for the range I thoroughly cleaned the 92 paying extra attention to the firing pin and channel. This helped some but still had about a 10% FTF with the CCI primers and not a single FTF with the WSP.

The XD shot everything so I do not believe it is a primer seating issue as all rounds were loaded at the same time and an equal amount of both were shot thru each gun.

At this time I have 800 CCI primers left and will load them for use in the XD and look for something else for the 92. Most likely more WSP as all the feedback I've received on the Remington primers is all over the board.
Old March 16, 2017, 02:27 PM   #15
rock185

Yea, all over the board, but I have personally used thousands of the Remington #1 1/2 primers over good many years. I discontinued using them a few years ago. In 9MM, I've had them pierce with standard pressure reloads and with Remington factory standard pressure ammo. If it happened in just one gun, I'd say OK, it's just the gun. But I've had it happen in different pistols, by different manufacturers. I suspect the 1 1/2 primers would be fine for use in lower pressure cartridges, .38 Spcl. standard pressure and +P for instance. If I were to use Remington SP primers in future, I would use the #5 1/2. I have used the 5 1/2 in past and the primer cup seems to be a little tougher, with no piercing or other issues. The federal # 200 and CCI #500 also resist pressure much better than the Remington 1 1/2 within my humble experience. I haven't used Winchester SP primers in some time, but recall no issues with those. I've had no misfires with any of these primers in any of my guns. I've also had no issues in using small rifle primers in 9MM, 38 Super and 9X23 Winchester.......ymmv