The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Dc777

Do plastic holsters scratch guns?

I've never used a plastic holster so I'm wondering if they scratch guns? I have a brand new m&p on its way and I like the way the owb holsters look, but I have a feeling that they will take the finish off of the gun. Can anyone confirm my theory?

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 16, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Microgunner

Every one that I've ever owned did, including the new Bravo Concealment kydex holster I just received for my new S&W M&P9 which is already rubbing the finish off the sharp corners by the muzzle.
I much prefer leather.
Old December 16, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A kydex holster won't scratch a gun but it will wear the finish where it contacts. Since most plastic holsters only contact the gun in a few locations, it concentrates the wear into spots and stripes. A well fitted leather holster will spread out the wear.

Contrary to Internet Opinion, I found a suede lined holster to be the easiest on gun blue. It only needs to be brushed out periodically to remove the grit that bothers people.
Old December 16, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Louca

I just got a Kydex holster for my HK 45C, and I fully expect it to wear the surfaces a bit where it clamps the gun in. BUT ... I own leather holsters and they definitely will abrade the surface. Leather, although it feels soft, is an abrasive material. And it has a good ability to hold dirt, which is even more abrasive.

Although I am one who likes to keep my guns looking as good as possible, I have come to see the wear marks (from Kydex or leather) as signs of character, signs of being used as they were intended.

Lou
Old December 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
JimDandy

Just about every holster will wear the finish on a pistol. Handling wears the finish. The question is the rate at which it happens, and whether you're willing to risk your finish to a holster
Old December 16, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Dc777

I think I'll stick with a plane Jane uncle mikes holster then. Out of all of the handguns I own, this will be the first one that I have ever purchased brand new, so I would like to keep it looking new as long as possible.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

New Safariland AT7....

Safariland, www.Safariland.com has a new line of polymer duty & ALS type concealment holsters called 7TS.
The firm says the new holsters do not damage or mar the sidearm & the contact points inside the patented holster are limited.
It's available in a few styles & colors. I think these new holsters are only for sale in the Glock 22/17 series & maybe the Beretta M9/92-96 FS pistols for now but newer models for the M&P, SIGs, XDs, etc should be out by early 2014.
The Safariland holsters sell for approx $36.00 USD .
I'd look into it. I do security work & like the features of these new polymer holsters.
Scuffs, nicks & minor wear marks(contact points) are common with most duty pistols. I used a Blackhawk SERPA holster for my M&P Compact with 0 problems.

For sales of the new Safariland holsters see; www.policehq.com or www.galls.com . More web & brick/mortar retailers should have these AT7 holsters soon too, .

Last edited by ClydeFrog; December 16, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 16, 2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Dc777

This won't be a carry gun. It's actually an m&p 22. But I would like to keep it holstered at my hunting camp.

Old December 16, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Yes.... A kydex holster will wear your finish off. A leather holster will do the same but kydex will do it faster.

It won't happen overnight but it will happen. I accept that guns get worn with use and I'm okay with it. I just try not to use things that speed along the process so I steer well clear of the plastic thingy holsters.
Old December 16, 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
chriscw81

Most if not all holsters will wear the finish on a gun......

This is why I don't carry a kimber every day. I carry a well maintain pistol and I don't care about its looks.

Chris
Old December 16, 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Microgunner

Dc777,
The M&P 22 pistol has a painted finish.
It's going to wear fast no matter the type of holster.
Old December 16, 2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Kydex, in and of itself, isn't likely to scratch the finish. What will do it is dirt that gets in the holster, then abrades the gun.

I have noticed less wear from Kydex than I have from leather. My best guess is that the Kydex doesn't come in tight contact with the whole gun, so it isn't rubbing against it when holstering and unholstering.