The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
glee

Dye bleeding from new gun belt

anyone have any good remedies to stop black dye bleeding from my new gun belt ?
Old November 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
BirchOrr

Not really...

...guitar straps do the same thing. It will stop eventually but until then, wear black pants.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 6, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
DoubleDeuce 1

How about paste wax for leather?
Old November 7, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
foxytwo

If you have a Tandys or a Hobby Lobby near you, buy a bottle of Super Shene leather finish. Coat the belt, both sides, problem solved. You can also order from Tandys. I make holsters and this is the cure you are looking for.
Old November 8, 2013, 09:33 AM   #5
DD4lifeusmc

a sponge damped with diluted vinegar will help "set" the dye.
But are you sure it is the dye and not the oil?
Dye normally is absorbed by the leather and dries within a few hours.
Some makers use a lot of oil to resoften the leather.
Might try the diluted vinegar with warm water.
This will help remove excess oil.
also buff it with some elbow grease. Rub it in.
Old November 8, 2013, 09:47 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

All depends on what the maker dyed it with. A lot of us use "vinegaroon" - vinegar with iron dissolved in it - an old military formula from BP days for military leatherwork. It is applied but has to be neutralized with a wash of water/baking soda. Vinegar is used to "set" dye in fabric, but remember, even diluted, you are adding acid to the leather which can cause problems. Tandy sells a number of dyes - one that I use for edge dying is their "Marine Black" - it will rub off if applied as an overall dye.

Satin Sheed will work, but it will also "seal" the leather. Leather over time needs to have the natural oils replenished - a lot of different things are used for that from neatsfoot oil, mink oil, etc. I dye and then apply rubbed in coats of pure virgin olive oil. Everyone has their own preferred methods. As someone suggested, you could use paste wax on it - nothing a whole lot different between that and kiwi paste shoe polish.

You don't say . . . is the dye transfer from just rubbing or is it a result of you sweating and the dye transferring from the leather to your sweat soaked clothes? If that's what is doing it, it's most likely a water based stain. Is the flesh side of the leather dyed? This is why I don't dye flesh side of belts, cartridge box straps, etc. Eventually, it will stop transferring. It all depends on where it is coming from. If the belt is new, try taking an old terrycloth towel and giving it a brisk rubdown and see if that will remove what ever is transferring. If it still does it, try some paste wax, satin sheen, etc. So much of the dyes, sealers, etc. are now "eco friendly" - i.e. water based and as such, more easily transferred by sweat.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63