The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

311 VS 5100

What are the differences in the 311 and 5100 Double guns?

Brent
Old July 30, 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

From another forum via a Google search:

Quote:
To give you a little better understanding of the gun we are discussing, the Savage Arms Company purchased the original Stevens company; and in 1929, purchased the AH Fox Gun Company. These early original Stevens doubles were assigned number grades such as the Model 235, Model 335, etc; the highest grades featured flourishes of hand engraving, and even a hammer gun model was available. These early Stevens guns were low priced, but quality pieces, and utilized a different bolting system than these later Savage produced Stevens guns; and today, examples of these early Stevens model double guns remaining in high condition are tough to find. As noted, Savage Arms also purchased the AH Fox Gun Company, and almost exactly 30 days prior to the 1929 stock market crash that heralded the beginning of the Great Depression; the obvious result being that this acquisition did not prove to be the great profit generator Savage had envisioned. But Savage continued to manufacture the AH Fox gun on thru the Depression and into WWII; but even when produced of the AH Fox gun ceased, the Fox name itself lived on. Savage placed the great Fox name on another Savage manufactured gun called the Fox Model B. This new model Fox gun was vastly cheaper to manufacture, and in no way resembled the original AH Fox gun; but the Fox name was retained because that name had earned a reputation for high quality in the world of double guns. To a lesser degree the same was true of the Stevens name, which Savage retained with the introduction of the Stevens Model 311, mechanically identical to the Fox Model B but a cheaper version of that model; and the forerunner of the later Stevens Model 5100. Early Model 5100 guns will have plain walnut stocks, while later Model 5100's will have stained hardwood stocks. But the 5100 was always a cheaper version of the Fox Model B which always featured walnut stocks, and depending on the period manufactured; other options such as beavertail forearms, vent ribs, ejectors, and even single triggers. I've owned and used examples of both the Stevens and Fox Model B guns; and although they always functioned as intended, their handling qualities are much like that of a fence post when compared to the handling qualities of an original AH Fox gun.
Quote:
The 5100 was discontinued in 48 and was morphed into the 311 in 49. Some of the 5100's came with tenite stocks.
HTH Brent
Old July 30, 2013, 02:44 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It sure does but some of that info isn't quite on point or mine is wrong... The date code on my 5100 puts it made years after they claim it discontinued...

Mine works out to a 1953 DOM...

Brent
Old July 30, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
BarkeyVA

In response to a question about my 16 ga. Eastern Arms 101.7 sxs marked 5100 on the frame, John T. Callahan, Savage Arms Historian wrote that the 5100 was produced by J. Stevens Arms Div. of Savage from 1941 - 1948. He indicated that the 5100 is basically a 311 or 5151 and the company used the 5100 stamp on a new frame design to distinguish between the old and new designs.

Eastern Arms was a trade name used by Sears for shotguns made by Stevens and Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works. Sears used the 101.x designation on guns made by Stevens. I also have a JC Higgins (Sears) 101.7 that is marked 311A.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:55 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just pulled off my barrels to look and have T S and an E in a circle on one side (left) and an S sideways on the right side under where each barrel would "rest"...

In front of trigger guard is a curious symbol being a triangle with a little hash mark out from each side...

the "5100" is small and not real well struck... "J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A." are also on right...

Stevens and the typical pointed dog are on the left...

I think the date code had put it at 1953 IIRC which goes against the history thus far provided???

Brent
Old August 1, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
BarkeyVA

On my Eastern Arms (Stevens/Sears 101.7 ) 5100, all of the parts have an A in a circle, a G in a circle and an S and an M stamped on them. According to Callahan, the series of letters on the frame, barrels and forearm are assembly identifications. During production all rough fitted parts were separate for final finishing and the major components were stamped with an ever changing series of letters so that at final assembly the same parts could be "re-married" with each other.

Later Savage/Stevens sxs's like my 311a have a letter stamped in a small oval on the bottom of the frame close to the hinge pin to indicate the production year. A=1949, B=1950, etc. A gun made in 1953 would have a E stamped in that small oval.

You might post your question on Shotgun World. One of the folks who frequents that web site is named Researcher who has a wealth of knowledge on older Stevens guns.