The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 19, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Good looking plastic Rifles (photo thread)

Good looking plastic Rifles (photo thread)
I see so many threads that talk about good looking steal and wood pistols and rifles. This is your chance to add your Tupperware rifles.
Beretta 9mm Storm
HK SL8

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
en-frame

There are some out there, Ozzieman. Here's my SL8-6 AKA PSG-8. Buttstock courtesy of tbostic.

Old February 20, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Previously a gray and black Remington SPS stock. I got bored with it, so I fixed it

Old February 21, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
NWPilgrim

My newest rifle, Sake A7 in 30.06. Nothing special but it is nice and trim, well balanced, slick bolt and the stock is well designed and subtly textured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7.jpg (241.1 KB, 72 views)
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 21, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Ozzieman

En-frame, how does yours shoot?
Also do you have any problems at the range with it? What I mean is, when you break it out and start shooting do you draw a crowd. By the way, what did that stock set you back?
Last question,,, where did you get the top rail?
Mine has the HK 4 power scope integral to the rail handle and its OK, but it has the light gathering ability of your scope with the covers left on.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
en-frame

Hi Ozzieman,

I've only had it to the range once. Sighted it in with a variety of different loads including some SilverBear. Shot really nice, though I never settled down to anything like what I would call a great group. That will take some experimentation at the reloading bench. Also took 'er to the gravel pit where I ventilated a bunch of dead hard drives @ 100yds. Shot great (all SilverBear), no problems of any kind with respect to feeding, ejecting, etc.

Nobody ever bothered to ask me anything about it at the range when I was there with it. Most of those folks are AR or AK enthusiasts, and I think the H&K just doesn't interest them.

I can't quite remember what the stock cost. It was custom made by tbostic over at the HK Forum. He's a class act. I remember I had to find my own set of internals for it, but he installed them in the stock for me, no charge. AISTR, it was something like $400 or thereabouts. Worth every penny. I could never get comfortable with that factory thumbhole stock. If you visit the HK Forum, just search for PSG8. That's what he calls it, since it resembles the stock on the H&K PSG1.

I got the top rail from hkparts.net. Look in the G36 section. It's the after-market low profile picatinny rail for $100. It's made of aluminum.

I know what you mean about those factory H&K scope/handle units. I have one of the factory 3x scope/handles with the red dot on top. Field of view is pretty poor, and they aren't the brightest in the world. I had it on my G36 build, but removed it in favor of a Knight's rail set with built-in BUIS and a 1.5x24 ACOG.

How did you like the H&K long rail that came with your SL8? Were the irons adequate, or was it "can't wait to get it off"? I've seen a couple for sale on G.B. over the years, but they were always a bit too expensive. Looks like a good idea for maximizing sight radius for bench sessions.

Safe shooting,

en-frame
Old February 23, 2013, 12:36 PM   #7
barnbwt

I think my bone-stock MP161K by Baikal looks pretty good (at least for a 22LR )

Not my pic, but a better one (of an identical gun) than I can generate
Also found a pic with an awesome camo job that I might be tempted to try one of these days:

TCB
Old February 23, 2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Japle

My 20” Bushy with an ACE stock, Leatherwood scope and Tango Down grip. You can’t see the JP trigger and some other goodies, but they’re there.

Old February 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
jad0110

Old school plastic ...

Old February 23, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Ozzieman

For sure it was "can't wait to get it off"?
I’ve had a 93, 91 and a good clone MP5 and I always liked standard HK sighs. The sights that came with it on the long rail are good for 2 inch groups at 3 feet, and 3 feet at 25 yards. The nice thing about the rail is that the sights will come off easily and it’s a good long rail for just about any scope.
I never did anything else for a scope since I already have a race gun AR.
The gun has been flawless for over 10 years and a couple of thousand rounds.
I like yours

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:18 AM   #11
en-frame

Roger that, Ozzieman. I like your SL8 too!

And your AR for that matter. Looks like a real tack driver.

IMHO the SL8 is a much underrated platform. They lend themselves well to customization, though they don't have near the numbers in this country to support the industry that can offer options like what we have for the AR. Like the AUG, the G38/SL8 platform was designed with integral optics in mind, so sight radius for irons was never something they worried about. I like the Knights irons and rail that I installed on my G38 clone. Too bad those parts are so scarce these days. Here's my G36 set up with the KAS rails and ACOG:

Get yourself a low profile rail and stick a nice optic on your SL8! You'll be glad you did.

Safe Shooting to you Sir!

en-frame
Old February 24, 2013, 01:58 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

Hey Japle, how do you like that Leatherwood scope? Put one on my Dads rifle, but haven't been able to test it out yet. Thinking about getting one of my own.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Ozzieman

En frame, does your mod also have the G36 magazine change, it looks like it. That’s the only thing I don’t like about mine. I have numerous 20 round magazines but there long enough to use as a surf board.
I don’t like your ACOG!
It’s not on MY rifle,
Been thinking about using my tax non stolen return and get one. Shot a tricked out AR last fall with a ACOG and I’ve never been the same.

Old February 24, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
en-frame

Hey Ozzieman,

Yes, it has the mods needed to allow use of standard G36 magazines. In the photo it has a Magpul G36 30-shot magazine inserted. I agree about those 20-shot SL8 mags. They are a bit absurd. Plus they are a PITA to load. The double-stack mags are huge improvement in usabiltiy. I have a 10-shot G36 mag, and fits flush with the magwell. Really nice for use on the shooting bench, or when shooting from a prone position.

I really like ACOGS. My fave is the TA11 (3.5x35), but the 1.5x16's are wonderful too. I like the 1.5x model as a kinduva holo-sight on steroids. My eyes are a bit fuzzy at a distance, and that little bit of magnification is enough to make the FOV and reticle sharp for me. And for close range one always has BAC to fall back on, which seems to work with my brain wiring, especially at 1.5x. My least favorite ACOG is the TA31. The eye relief is too short. I wouldn't want to put one on a carbine or rifle chambered for 7.62x51, as I'm not a big fan of collecting black eyes from the impact of the scope during recoil. But it works O.K. on my AR carbine, since it has no recoil to speak of.

How's the weather in your part of the country? I was hoping to get to the range this weekend, but it's been blowing dogs off of chains here. Lots of rain squalls too. Not really all that helpful for going out and sending projectiles downrange at speed.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Ozzieman

How's the weather in your part of the country?
Indiana, if you dont like the weather, wait a couple of seconds, it'll change.
To wet and to cold.