The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
iraiam

Mold HP conversion

I am considering getting a Saeco #354 mold and modifying into a Cramer type155 grain HP, 155 grain + 3gr. gas check = 158 grain HP. This is the mold.

The HP cavity needs to take off 25 grains, which is not out of line according to my calculations.

My other option is to make a mold from either a blank which I can do, or a mold from scratch which I have never done.

I have been looking for a 158 grain gas checked HP for quite a while and have not found a commercial one, I have found custom mold makers that can do it but the cost was pretty high.

Any thoughts on this?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; December 6, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
snuffy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...56-HP-or-Solid

This one would end up costing about $105.00,(for a 2 cav.), with the standard round HP pins. They can be turned 180 degrees to make a solid point @ around 170 grains. Another 16 bucks gets you a penta point pin. They look cool, but the round HP works better as far as expansion goes.

By the time you buy that saeco, have it altered to make it a HP, you'll have a bunch more that 105 bucks in it. Shipping alone will get you to 105. Brass molds work better than either ferrous or alum. molds.

Miha's molds are first class. I have 4 already, and I'm in on the one I just mentioned. Last check with Miha, there was no estimation when it might get made. That's the only problem with those group buys, the long wait. 13 months already, I don't expect it until early next year.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 6, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
iraiam

Thanks, I went ahead and joined and signed up for a 2 cavity. It's exactly what I was looking for.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 7, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
salvadore

I have a 358156 or 7 I guess, after being hollowpointed by Eric Ohler..I think that was his name. I use the real Skeeter load, 13.5 grs of 2400 in a .38 spec. case. Using my 6" M-28 tried it out on 5 one gallon plastic bottles lined up a couple of weeks ago. first three pretty much came apart, fourth had a hole in it and the fifth looked untouched until I saw a small leak and noticed a .38 calibre collar button sitting in the bottom of the last jug. This is one of my favorite .38 molds, is very accurate in hp and solid form. I'm going to try casting with a softer alloy and work up a nice non +p load for my Colt Cobra