The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 10, 2011, 08:03 PM   #26
Single Six

I can see how that would make you feel ashamed and embarrassed. Take it from me, though: Suffering a ND gives you those feelings multiplied by a factor of 1,000. Look on the bright side; with your incident, nothing and no one ended up with any unexpected perforations. You learned a valuable lesson with neither property damage nor bloodshed.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
got it about 5 weeks a go, and have been carrying in my truck, in my locker at work, and trying to build up gradually becoming more comfortable carrying, always with an eye towards safety.
You learned a lesson in that it isn't safe to carry a gun without a holster. Thankfully your pride was the only thing injuried.

Now you know that a holster is important, your next step will be a good gun belt. They belt supports both your gun and holster and makes carrying and concealing easier.

They aren't cheap but they are worth every penny. Check out www.thebeltman.net.

Thanks for sharing your story too.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:53 AM   #28
Don P

Quote:
but for the last week or so I've been carrying in the small of the back tucked in my jeans with a belt.
Ah yes an excellent way to never have to sit upon the porcelain goddess again or a frontal carry and then become a soprano
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:59 AM   #29
lawnboy

Quote:
Quote:
Pick up a cheap uncle mikes until the holster you ordered arrived.
Quote:
That,too, can have its problems. That's what I did, but the retention on the Uncle Mike's IWB was so poor that the gun tended to ooze out of the top like toothpaste out of a tube. Once it did so while I was in a laundromat. I managed to catch it between my elbow and my side, clamp it there, and go outside to rearrange all unobserved.
A $15 Uncle Mikes is certainly not optimal. But it is far, far better than jamming the gun into your waistband. And for the first month or so until it wears out an Uncle Mikes should be just fine.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old May 11, 2011, 10:57 AM   #30
Duckkkkk

I'm sure the dropping of guns due to no holster use happens far more then what's actually admitted to on this site.

I didn't mind starting a thread on the hope that someone would read it and learn, but I bet loads of people have had it happen to them but would never admit it.

I'm in my 50's and have deer hunted for 30 years so I have a deep appreciation for safety, but never seriously handled a handgun until 4 months a go. I actually got into the handgun thing because of my son and his friends all carry and have a multitude of guns. But haven't talked to them too much about belt carrying or holsters, and I certainly never seen anyone admit to dropping their gun from pants tucking on this site
Old May 11, 2011, 11:26 AM   #31
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

A friend of mine tells a story of being in a Target down South. He had his pistol in his belt. It fell out of the belt and hit the floor. He picked it up and put it back, surprised to see a woman standing in front of him with her jaw open. He was on his way out, so he left without saying a word. He got a mile down the road and was pulled over by the cops who were following up on a "guy with a gun" report. He explained the situation to the cop, got reprimanded for not having a holster and was sent on his way. I imagine it could have turned out a lot worse....

I personally always use a holster.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:41 PM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
I didn't mind starting a thread on the hopes of someone would read it and learn...
Thats what TFL is about.

Thanks for the post!
Old May 11, 2011, 06:05 PM   #33
38Cobra

Happened recently to a guy in the Houston area -- sitting in a restaurant, gun fell out and discharged striking a lady sitting at a nearby table. Haven't heard about any criminal charges but the lawsuit filed against him made the news.