The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you bought a brass framed BP revolver?
I like the bright shine of polished brass. 2 7.14%
As a "southerner" I wanted to have a replica of a confederate BP revolver. 2 7.14%
It was the cheapest BP revolver I could afford at the time. 9 32.14%
It was the only thing available in the store when I went shopping for BP revolvers. 1 3.57%
I have a collection of BP revolvers and no collection is complete without one or more. 6 21.43%
Other reason - tell us what compelled you. 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
ClemBert

Reason why you bought a brass framed BP revolver

A brass framed BP revolver is pretty low on my list of priorities. There are a lot of other BP revolvers I'd rather buy first. For some of you it was one of your first purchases. So the question is: What was the reason you bought a brass framed BP revolver?
Old July 1, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
jimbob86

It was on sale... like 99 bucks or something. It is still fun to shoot.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

I've got a Dance and a couple Leech & Rigdons. Having at least one of each that my Southern ancestors used means I need a brass framed Schneider & Glassick, Griswold and Gunnison, and a Spiller and Burr; as well as iron framed Tucker and Sherrod, and LeMat.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 1, 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Hoss Fly

Well, i got drunk at this shoot once 'n ------
Old July 1, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I've got a Dance and a couple Leech & Rigdons. Having at least one of each that my Southern ancestors used means I need a brass framed Schneider & Glassick, Griswold and Gunnison, and a Spiller and Burr; as well as iron framed Tucker and Sherrod, and LeMat.
Hmmm, need a Starr and an Adams is a must. Maybe a Manhatten and a Bacon.

Last edited by Hawg; July 1, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:03 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

You mean to say they make BP revolvers with brass frames???

I much prefer steel frames but like most, the two brass framed ones that I have (early Navy Arms short round barreled '51 Navy style and a ASM '62 Pocket Police) I bought because I had a weak moment and the price was low enough that I couldn't pass them up. I have just as much fun shooting them as I do my steel frames . . . . and after all . . . that's what it is all about - fun! The cheaper brass frames are an easy way for a beginner to get their feet wet and see if they like the hobby or not and some folks just like the looks of them (they can be handsome!). As I said, it's all about fun and after 45+ years of shooting BP, I'm still having fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 1, 2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Hardcase

I don't have one, but if the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate to jump at it. I don't supersize my loads, so I wouldn't be worried about blasting one apart.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggan
Hmmm, need a Starr and an Adams is a must. Maybe a Manhatten and a Bacon.
And there's also the Whitney, Shawk & McLanahan, Cofer, Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Co, Kerr English revolver, Deane English revolver, and Tranter English revolver; but they don't make replicas of those. Cost of having a 'complete' collection of Southern used revolvers would be prohibitive - unless I hit the Powerball lottery.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 1, 2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Kadmos

I chose other.

It was actually a couple of reasons combined, it was cheap, it was there, and it looks pretty whether polished up or somewhat tarnished.

I've always liked brass in general, its just a good looking metal with tons of character.
Old July 2, 2010, 12:33 AM   #10
the rifleer

They are pretty to look at and fun to shoot. As long as you keep the charge relativly low there is no problem. I don't have one, but my friend does. I had my Ruger Old Army and he had a 1858 Remington. We shot it with about 25 grains and it shot just as well as mine...

There is absolutly nothing wrong with a brass framed gun, you just can't fill the chamber to the brim with powder and cram the ball in like you can with a Ruger Old Army...

I'm looking to buy a 1851 colt pretty soon with a brass frame. It looks great and it a classic. I'm not going to shoot the snot out of it, just once a month or so and put a few rounds through it. If thats all you are doing, a brass frame will hold up just fine.
Old July 2, 2010, 01:08 AM   #11
CajunPowder

I would LIKE to purchase one, one day, so I can risk bunging it up to experiment with timing, and trigger smoothing and one to just experiment with in the exercise of gunsmithing. It would be nice to have as a spare as well so that when you go shooting a friend can use it. Or even better, one can BRIBE a person with a bit of land outside of the city to "go have some fun and shoot BP".

Another good reason for me to purchase one is to simply have another arm around as a backup for the Remmie I will one day get.

In my opinion, one could never have TOO MANY brass remmies.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:39 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

If you collect replicas then you well have several brass frame Colt clones and top strap clones. Most are copies of CSA originals.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Dino.

A brass frame is a deal breaker for me.
I have no interest in owning one.
Old July 2, 2010, 11:40 AM   #14
surbat6

My only brass-frame C&B revolver at the moment is a Navy Arms Reb, a fair copy of a Griswold and Gunnison. It was cheap and I wanted a Confederate-style revolver. I wouldn't pass up a Spiller and Burr at the right price. Since I have several steel-framed guns to shoot, my favorite being the 1860 Colt repros, so the brass-framed one(s) are shot a little and enjoyed a lot.
Old July 2, 2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Noz

I didn't know any better.
Old July 2, 2010, 03:14 PM   #16
idaram

Southern roots

Have a Griswold & Gunnison, Schineder & Glassic, Leech & Ridgon, Spiller & Burr. Would like a LeMat, and a .36 Dance. (Have to go to England for the Dance. Henry Krank has them.)

Have a great 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. My GGGGG uncle was M.A. Baker of Fayetteville N.C. He converted a lot of flintlocks to percussion for the Confederacy.

Andy
Old July 2, 2010, 05:32 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
And there's also the Whitney, Shawk & McLanahan, Cofer, Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Co, Kerr English revolver, Deane English revolver, and Tranter English revolver; but they don't make replicas of those.

I don't believe they make clones of the Sherrod or Tucker either but you mentioned them.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:58 PM   #18
mjsmith1223

I got it for free. That seemed like the right price to me. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I keep the powder charge at around 20 grains of 3F so there's no worries about damaging the frame. When I take it to the range it seems to always attract some attention because it looks like something straight out of a Clint Eastwood movie.
Old July 2, 2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggan
I don't believe they make clones of the Sherrod or Tucker either but you mentioned them
Uberti made some Sherrod & Tucker repros. Madcratebuilder managed to pick up a cased set one last year & there was an NIB one that went on GB last year for around $500 IIRC. I'm still on the lookout for one.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:03 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

Did someone mention a Tucker & Sherrard 2nd model Colt Dragoon?

Uberti made these for Western Arms out of NM.
Old July 3, 2010, 11:38 AM   #21
Hawg

Very nice.
Old July 3, 2010, 03:47 PM   #22
Newton24b

if brass frames are of such limited use and need, then why is it that whenever a shot up and shot loose one gets on online auctions, its always priced the same as a nib walker?

seriously, never had a single person ever want to sell out a brasser, even a shot out one, for part value.
Old July 3, 2010, 03:54 PM   #23
Hawg

Because people go nuts on auctions. Ebay used to be full of them parted out and the prices they were getting for one gun you could buy two new ones for.
Old July 3, 2010, 04:51 PM   #24
Hawg

I only have one brass frame and it was a freebie, a Remington police in .36. I'd like to have some of the true Southern clones tho.
Old July 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #25
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
Did someone mention a Tucker & Sherrard 2nd model Colt Dragoon?
Show off