The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
zahnzieh

Thermacell for Bugs!!

I tried that Thermacell mosquito repellent machine this summer, wow what a great little invention. Mosquitoes disappear while fishing, doing yard-work etc.. - cant wait to use it for early bow-season! The reviews on Cabela's website are over-whelmingly positive. One of the best things to come along for bugs in a long time. Cant reccomend it enough!
Old August 2, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
wyobohunter

Awesome

I've been thinking about getting one myself. Last years goat hunt was great but the mosquitos were nearly unbearable.
Old August 3, 2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Hunley

Love 'em...

I've only hunted in marshy areas of coastal GA, and the mosquitoes are pretty horrible right up to the tail end of deer season. I bought one after a couple of outings left my neck, face, and wrists looking like I had gotten the chickenpox all over again. They take a minute to warm-up, but they work for quite a while. I never hop in a stand without it.

Word of warning:
If you setup a ground blind, or are in one that has mosquitoes in it... And they can't seem to find a way out... They will still bite the crap out of you.
Old August 3, 2009, 08:14 AM   #4
skydiver3346

ThermaCell:

Man they work great and I have been using one for bowhunting since they first came out a few years back. No more smelly mosquito repellent or greasy messes. In fact, I accidentally kicked my Thermacell of my bow stand a couple years back and it hit the ground. About 10 minutes later, a small doe came by and sniffed it. She jumped back slightly (it was still on) and then just slowly walked away undisturbed... I never go out during early hunting season without my Thermacell. Awesome product and it WORKS!
Old August 3, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting one myself. Last years goat hunt was great but the mosquitos were nearly unbearable.
Probably wouldn't work in your case. They really only work when the user is stationary and the "smoke" creates an envelope around you that keeps bugs out. Goat hunting would likely keep you on the move too much.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Not sure how I stood hunting the eastern swamps of NC before they came out........

I don't step out of my house to hunt without it before the temps drop and skeeters die off.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 3, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
BillJunior

Here in SC a Thermacell is a must have item for deer hunting. I have 3 of them. One stays in my hunting pack, one at home and one in the truck.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:37 PM   #8
Major Dave (retired)

Safe for enclosed places?

Like the cab of my pickup, where I sleep in the bucket seat, kicked back into the fully reclined position. Don't want to die from inhaling the Thermacell fumes all night!

Do you smell the fumes?

I hunt about 100 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, in east Texas. Mosquitos galore!!! Fifty degree overnight lows, and low 80's into late November.
Old August 4, 2009, 11:47 PM   #9
wyobohunter

Quote:
Probably wouldn't work in your case. They really only work when the user is stationary and the "smoke" creates an envelope around you that keeps bugs out. Goat hunting would likely keep you on the move too much.
The skeeters weren't getting to us while we were out hunting because we were up high where we were getting a cool wind from the glacier, but down in camp where it was calm and warmer... Madness I tell ya. I'd prolly just bring it along as a camp accessory and leave it behind while hiking the ridges etc.