The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Lets see some Ruger bearcats pics!

I was in my local gun shop a couple of weeks ago, and looked at a Ruger Bearcat. At first glance, and holding it, it seemed so small.

The loading gate seemed tiny, and it was so light, that I dismissed it as too much like a toy.

But then it started to grow on me, a scaled down version of my single action that I could carry around all day and not notice, a small SA that can be carried in my pants pocket, etc.

SO NOW I WANT ONE SO BAD!!

LETS SEE SOME PICS OF YOURS WITH HOLSTERS OR WITHOUT!
Saw one on gunblast with stag grips that looked incredible!
Old October 18, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
DMZX

Mine is beat up a bit, so I did not attach a photo, but there are some members that have some very nice ones.

I consider it a "must have" revolver for any modest collector of SA's.
Old October 18, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I dont' care!

I don't care if they are all beat up, LETS SEE THEM!

Tell my if they are old, new models, super or what, and what is preferred?
I saw a couple that had been modified to .22 mag.
Does the barrel have to be rebored for the slight difference?

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; October 19, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old October 18, 2010, 04:44 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I bought a "used" Bearcat this past summer. It has very little wear, came with the original box and paperwork. It was made in the '70s so it is one of the older ones and unaltered. I too, thought it was "small" but I have to tell you it is a joy and a hoot to shoot! It's accurate, rugged and dependable. I LOVE IT!!! I have a Ruger New Vaquero and a Ruger SR9 and I am sold on Rugers. I am going to make a holster for the Beaqrcat while I'm out here in AZ for the winter and will post photos of it when I get it finished. The pistol is small enough to easily carry in a holster or a pocket. Yes, the pistol is smaller - smaller loading gate, etc. but you soon get used to it. I've had no problems with mine and the spent cartridges are easily removed with the ejector rod - the same as with a larger SAA style pistol. Like you . . . I thought about it for a few days and then just knew I had to have it for my collection. I've never regretted getting it! I clean it carefully after each use as I consider it not only a "working gun", but an investment as well. Trust me . . . the first time you use one you'll have a smile a mile wide on your face! Good luck and enjoy! Am posting some photos of it - hope they come through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Bearcat 2.JPG (113.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Bearcat 4.JPG (71.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Bearcat 5.JPG (68.8 KB, 133 views)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 18, 2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Radar

Here's mine, traded a Taurus PT917 straight across for it and never looked back..

One of my favorite revolvers. Don't let it's size fool you, great little shooters!
Old October 19, 2010, 04:05 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

I recently traded this one for a Service Six.

It was a nice revolver but I can't get into SA .22's.
Old October 19, 2010, 08:04 AM   #7
CajunBass

Here's mine. A New Model that got a couple three years ago.

With it's big brother the New Model Single Six for size comparison.

And wearing lether jackets (from Ruger).

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 19, 2010, 08:18 AM   #8
EdInk

What's the difference between that Single Six and a New Vaquero?
Old October 19, 2010, 09:44 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

actual size pic?

Thanks for all the pics so far!
Can someone take a pic (flat on from the side) and place a ruler next to it, so that I can use it on this end to resize to see the exact size?
Old October 19, 2010, 10:47 AM   #10
bedbugbilly

Singlesix is rimfire - 22 the New Vaquero (and old Vaquero) are centerfire - .357, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 19, 2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Leejack

I don't own one yet, but I will say this:

The Bearcat is one of thee coolest guns on the planet!

I can't wait to add one to my collection!
Old October 19, 2010, 01:40 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

"baby vaquero"??

I have seen some ads for a "baby vaquero" which looks like the single six size, but with the fix sight top instead of the adjustable sights like the blackhawk.

Is this still considered a single six.
Is the single six a scaled down blackhawk,
and is the version without adjustable sights a scale down version of the blackhawk or vaquero?
Old October 19, 2010, 05:04 PM   #13
rep1954

Highvalleyranch said:Thanks for all the pics so far!
Can someone take a pic (flat on from the side) and place a ruler next to it, so that I can use it on this end to resize to see the exact size?

Well this ones 50 years old and might have shrunk just a tad from age but I bet it's close enough for what you want. Yes it is a shooter and an excellent one at that. Nicest action on a stock Bearcat that I have ever felt. I also have included a picture of my fixed sight, 6 1/2" barrel Single Six. Also a great shooter.

Last edited by rep1954; October 19, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 07:06 PM   #14
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
that got a couple three years ago.
So you got them six years ago?

Kidding, very nice revolvers Cajun.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:01 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Maybe we could get all of these good looking Bearcats together . . . breed 'em . . . and have some nice litters!?
Old October 20, 2010, 12:51 AM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Wouldn't breeding bearcats come up with a litter of "kit" guns?
Old October 20, 2010, 01:19 AM   #17
Ideal Tool

Ruger Bearcat

Hello, My very first "modern" gun was a Bearcat..I was only 16 at the time, went in 1/2 with my sister on a nice used one, this was around 1970. price was $37.00 Still have it. Sometime in the 1970's, there was an article in American Rifleman about installing a 6" brl. on a Bearcat..Very nice looking gun!
Old October 20, 2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Jbar4Ranch

I've got seven, but one was out on a date or something.

SASS 47015
Old October 21, 2010, 06:45 AM   #19
rep1954

Jbar4ranch, nice looking gun wheel. Tell me about the two older models.
Old October 21, 2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Jbar4Ranch

Four character alpha-numeric s/n's and both have their original early plastic resin grips, as you can see. All seven are old models; some standard, some Supers.

SASS 47015
Old October 21, 2010, 11:16 AM   #21
treg

If Ruger would make a Bearcat with adjustable sights I'd be able to play on this thread too.
Old October 21, 2010, 03:10 PM   #22
Rifleman1776

rep1954, how old is your Single Six? I have one forty years old and it has a very different loading gate. Plus I have never seen one so black. BTW, the mag. cylinder for mine is fluted, a short run anomoly.
Old October 21, 2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Radar

Treg,
Bearcat's don't need adjustable sights, just practice.
Old October 21, 2010, 07:15 PM   #24
troy_mclure

i really regret passing on the stainless one i saw.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 21, 2010, 07:16 PM   #25
bedbugbilly

Jbar4Ranch - what can be said other than . . "You are a lucky man . . you are truly a lucky lucky man . . . . .

I'm a little concerned though that your seventh one was "out on a date" . . . . none of my shooting irons are allowed to go out on dates until they are at least 50 years old . . . . by then they are mature enough . . . any younger than that, being a responsible parent, I don't trust 'em . . . I don't want them a partyin' and drinking and such . . . I'm afraid they might get "loaded" . . . .

My wife tells me I'm too strict . . . can't help it . . . that's the way I was brought up . . . being a "son of a gun" and all . . .