The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2000, 08:22 AM   #1
rblack

How many of you guys enjoy loading as much as shooting? Or maybe you enjoy loading more than shooting.
Old January 11, 2000, 09:50 AM   #2
JoeHatley

20 years ago, when I started reloading, it was so I could afford to shoot more.

After I experienced the satisfaction of building my own, I realized I had found a new pastime/hobby.

I'd say right now it's about a toss up as to which I enjoy most. The great part is the two activities compliment each other so well, I don't have to choose.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old January 11, 2000, 12:07 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Joe said it perfectly. I can add nothing, except to make the 20 years 32 years.
Old January 12, 2000, 07:02 PM   #4
NJW

I have been reloading for close to 20 years an like it as much as shooting.

NJW
Old January 16, 2000, 03:55 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, it's what I DO! Mommy gave me a Daisy Red Ryder around 1940, and my Uncle Joe got me into handloading for a .30-06 in 1950. It keeps me off the street and out of dens of iniquity; whaddaya want?

Ain't it fun?

I guess, all in all, I prefer the shooting to the reloading--but they're tied together...

, Art
Old January 16, 2000, 05:53 AM   #6
Hal

Until yesterday I would have preferred shooting, and reserved reloading as a necessary chore type of thing very much like having to drive to the range instead of just walking out the back door. What happened Saturday to change my mind? After reloading for a number of years off and on (25), I tried my first .45acp handloads. 230 hardcast lead over 4.5gr of Unique, fired out of my Kimber. The Kimber is decent for a stock gun, nothing added, and does pretty well with comercial ball ammo. My handloads were way beyond any commercial ball ammo in terms of accuracy though. I have been happy with the idea of putting together tailor made rounds for revolvers and pistol cal rifles, but have never experienced the dramatic difference in handloads like I did in the Kimber. I believe I would continue to handload for it, even if there was no difference in price.