The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Finest Tasting Game Meat?
Squirrel 8 6.50%
Rabbit 7 5.69%
Possum 4 3.25%
Deer 42 34.15%
Moose 15 12.20%
Bear 1 0.81%
Quail 16 13.01%
Pheasant 14 11.38%
Duck 13 10.57%
Goose 3 2.44%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21, 2005, 05:41 PM   #26
22-rimfire

Best that I have ever tasted was elk steaks. Could have been the atmosphere too... girls and beer. Good mix. You all left out the number one game bird--TURKEY (but I didn't read every posting as this is for fun). Possum? Yum Yum
Old June 21, 2005, 06:48 PM   #27
Long Path

I can't handle possum. I've seen 'em crawl out of too many dead livestock carcasses.
Old June 21, 2005, 08:57 PM   #28
22-rimfire

I was kidding on the possum. When I was a kid, we caught a possum in a box trap and kept it for a while in a cage... we had a bunch of rotten night crawlers that we had picked up for fishing.... that darn possum loved those rotten worms! I will NEVER eat a possum unless I'm starving.
Old June 21, 2005, 08:59 PM   #29
Jseime

Bbq

fresh barbequed deer backstraps with BBQ sauce, a box of KD and a frosty kokanee beer, im drooling just thinking about it
Old June 22, 2005, 01:10 AM   #30
Pointer

Hazelnut and corn-fed squirrel.

And feral pig ain't too shabby.
Old June 22, 2005, 02:15 AM   #31
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

My favorite method of making chili

Lawyer Daggit asked about chili recipes.

1. Read the links provided by Long Path in post #22, above. If you carefully assemble the ingredients and have the patience, there's some WONDERFUL stuff there.

2. If you're less ambitious - --
I've been a chile gourmet for literally decades, and I know what I like. I've made up vast pots and taken it to the office and thereafter was drafted as a chili cookoff judge a few times. During those contests, I've eaten a lot of good and some not-so-good concoctions. It is my personal opinion you can do up an EXCELLENT chile without all this hocus-pocus.

Look around until you locate a store that stocks the Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit. Buy that and the other stuff it says to get, listed on the back of the package. Follow the instructions, and you're pretty much guaranteed a very good pot o' chili.

I like to use a combination of cubed pork and either beef or venison. Be sure and strip off ALL the fascia from venison. For beef and pork, buy inexpensive roasts and hand cube them. Wild hog is good, too. But cube it, don't grind. Texture is everything.

This particular kit has the various spices and such in individual packets. It really makes a difference. I use only about one-third of the salt provided. Pay attention to the details about 2-Alarm, 1-Alarm, and False Alarm chile. The 2-Alarm type is really warm. some people can't handle it. No shame to that part.

This is good stuff. Do yourself a favor and do NOT cook beans with the chile. Cook them separately and add as desired. I vastly prefer pinto beans to red beans or other types. If you don't have the time or patience to pre-soak and cook 'em properly, buy a couple of cans of Trappey's pinto beans, the plain ones without jalapenos.

I eat my chile with cornbread, or homemade corn tortillas, or flour tortillas, or regular ol' saltine crackers. Crunchy toasted French bread is very good, too.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 22, 2005, 04:29 PM   #32
9mm1033

I can tell the worst. SEAL! Had some in Canada. Tasted like old tough leather. :barf: Eskimo's like it.
Old June 22, 2005, 05:24 PM   #33
NINE

I was trying to pick one for the poll... I just got really hungry.

What no caribou? Probably one the of best steaks I've ever eaten was a caribou T-bone BBQ'd. Moose ribs, awesome. Goose just a nose ahead of duck. Grouse fried up with salt pork. Deer.. mmm.. had some sort of jarred "stew" from newfoundland once.... salty (of course) but out of this world.
Old June 22, 2005, 09:19 PM   #34
butch50

Smoked Quail wrapped in a hot flour tortilla with a bit of salsa and a touch of cheese - for breakfast.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 23, 2005, 11:57 PM   #35
Kestrel

Psst... Spotted Owl is not bad, if you marinate it overnight...

Good grief - it's after 1:00 a.m. and reading this thread has made me HUNGRY!

Johnny Guest - you just made me make a list of groceries to pick up tomorrow. My wife will be happy to have me cook this weekend.
Old June 24, 2005, 06:41 AM   #36
ron8903

I picked deer because turkey is not listed.
Old June 24, 2005, 10:49 AM   #37
dale taylor

Wood duck that has been down in swamp eating acorns. Nothing better. [email protected]
Old June 24, 2005, 01:21 PM   #38
kingudaroad

I made this recipe I got from TPWD website. It is not the best venison I ever had, I was the best meal of ANY kind that I've ever had. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/wildgame...son_stew.phtml
Old June 25, 2005, 12:17 PM   #39
butch50

Rattlesnake is tasty too.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 26, 2005, 02:46 PM   #40
LAK

Hare
Old June 29, 2005, 04:54 PM   #41
Hand Cannon

What, no pig??!!
Old July 21, 2005, 02:34 PM   #42
Lance5050

Wabbit

A nice Rabbit for Breakfast/Brunch...mmmmmm...

I've also made some tasty smoked deer jerky. Actually pretty much any animal that isn't a skunk.

I draw the line at bugs tho
Old July 21, 2005, 03:04 PM   #43
buzz_knox

Rattlesnake
Deer
Cat
Old July 21, 2005, 05:11 PM   #44
zeisloft

Supprised I had to look so far before anyone mentioned pig. I'll reach across venison to get to some pork. the best part about feral hog on the grill is the cookin. salt, pepper, onions, and some 1/2ed jalapenos, and dump a bit of beer on it from time to time. Venison needs to be babied on the grill or it gets dry. Hogs WANT you to have a few beers and play an extra game or two of washers. They will be just fine sittin on the smoker for a little longer...take your time. Most other meats you need to be bird doggin' em on the grill.
~z
Old July 21, 2005, 07:46 PM   #45
rugerman13

I'm supprised I didn't see bear on any ones list.
Went hunting with my uncle in Pa. and had to try some. It taste a lot better than it sounds. But it DON'T taste like chicken.
Old July 21, 2005, 08:02 PM   #46
12-34hom

Upland game, Quail, Pheasant, Grey Partridge.

Waterfowl, Teal, Woodies, Mallard.

Wild Rabbit, makes some awesome gravy for soppin...

Buffalo is excellent also.

12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 21, 2005, 10:34 PM   #47
Eghad

No Armadillos ?

the oldtimers here in SE Texas call em Hoover Hogs...lol

NRA Life Member
Old July 21, 2005, 10:49 PM   #48
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Would you believe that armadillos are the only critter in N. America to carry and spread leprosy? True.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 22, 2005, 03:14 AM   #49
mete

Pronghorn is noted for poor flavor but the first one I had was taken in a wheat field ! It was delicious. It's the sagebrush that gives them poor flavor....The finest meat I've had was ptarmigan.
Old July 22, 2005, 03:33 AM   #50
LAK

In addition to what the animal eats, I think the greatest single factor is in the care in field dressing and handling the meat.