The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2005, 05:10 PM   #1
CraZkid

Good cheap scope

My friendis looking for a good scope (4.5x15) but does not want to break the bank. He heard a little about Barska (sp?) but not much, anyone have opinions?
Old June 17, 2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Edward429451

Burris makes some pretty darn good scopes for around 200.

You might get an off brand no name scope for half that price, but what good is it if you have to buy it twice? Save the frustration and buy once.
Old June 17, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
HSMITH

There is no such thing as a 'good' cheap scope. Look at the Leupold VariX-II and Nikon Monarch series as the least amount of money you can spend and get a quality scope.
Old June 18, 2005, 03:45 AM   #4
Trxxx

Cheap scopes - Just Say No!!

You pretty much get what you pay for with scopes. It's a false economy to buy a cheap one - you will likely break it or throw it out in short order, and have to buy a better one anyway.

This being the Internet, no doubt someone will be along in a minute to say that they bought a scope for $2.99 and they have had 25 years of reliable service from it....... but ignore them.

As a general rule, put your money into the scope not the rifle - and previous advice in this thread is spot-on, the minimum you should look at spending is $200 or so.
Old June 20, 2005, 01:56 PM   #5
hknut

Cheap scopes

If you are looking for A great check out the Leupold Rifleman for $200.00 at Wal mart. If you are not talking about hunting, just range scope check out BSA they range any where from $39.99 to $200.00. I have a friend who hunts them with NO problems.
Old June 20, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Coltdriver

Go take a look on EBay. You will frequently find a really good deal on a Leupold over there. Since they have a no nonsense lifetime warranty they are a great deal, even used.
Old June 20, 2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Rojoe67

Well, Tasco, Bushnell, Simons and BSA to name a few..... It is true you get what you pay for to a point.......

That much said do I think a thousand spent on a fancy prancy BIG name scope will make a huge difference for my 100 yard or less hunting shots? I don't think so and I will likely never know. I consider the Nikon, Buris and Leupold to be more the middle of the road (on average $). I have bought and used the lesser scopes with no problems. I seem to always have wild game on hand to prove they do as they are sold to do. Magnify and clearly put a cross hair on the game. If I were a lawyer, doctor, cpa, movie star, big corporate white collar or just plain rich I would buy up too....... Until that day I will keep on using what I can afford to buy....

I once had a Redfield on an 30-06. I understand it was a real good one and a nice price too..... I didn't like it and used it only one season before I gave it (yes, gave it away to a young guy needing cross hairs for his first rifle)
Old June 20, 2005, 04:11 PM   #8
artsmom

I and my relations have shot lots (50? 60?) deer using Tasco World Class scopes. They have been durable and reliable, and can usually be had for around $70-$75.

Having said that, they have limitations for hunting, and I went out and bought three Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes so I can start replacing the World Class scopes. I was sitting right next to my son while he shot his first deer in evening shadows while looking through the top end Redfield scope , while said deer didn't even exist in my World Class scope. That doesn't mean the World Class is unreliable, it means it has limitations that you may or may not want to live with in your shooting. I am sure I am still limiting myself with Bushnell Elites and not Zeiss scopes, but so be it. That is the best I can do for now, and I am confident I can

I knew the Tasco World Class scopes weren't Zeiss scopes when I bought them, and I don't regret buying them. I do regret not having a better scope on my rifle several times in the field, but I simply didn't have the r
Old June 20, 2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Trapp

+1 for Burris

I gots two of them. One on a 30-06 bolt gun and one on a .358 levergun. Meither have broke or even jumped the Zero in the years I've had them.......
Old June 20, 2005, 04:45 PM   #10
rangermonroe

I am really pleased with my $100 Simmons. It doesn't have the million dollar optics of a Swarovski, but it gets the job done. And they have a "no nonsense" lifetime warrantee.

I broke mine (fell out of the truck) and they fixed it for free.
Old June 21, 2005, 12:14 PM   #11
greg531mi

Go look at the Zeiss conquest line. I think they are the best bang for the buck!!!!
Makes most of the other scopes look like junk. Was impressed with them, and they start at around $400.
Old June 21, 2005, 06:15 PM   #12
BigSlick

SWFA

You can buy a guaranteed trade in and demo units for much cheaper than new or retail.

Just a thought

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old June 21, 2005, 07:21 PM   #13
Edward429451

Quote:
+1 for Burris
Quote:
I gots two of them. One on a 30-06 bolt gun and one on a .358 levergun. Meither have broke or even jumped the Zero in the years I've had them.......
Same experiance here. My first fullfield only needed reconfirmed each year and never needed readjusting for the 180's. My second (& present) gets adjusted but I'm playing around with different handloads & weights now.
Old June 21, 2005, 08:13 PM   #14
farmall

Ditto on Burris. Their customer service is simply outstanding. I have also had really good luck with Nikon, but never dealt with their service dept.
I have several Simmons 44MAG scopes on varmint rifles. All 6x20's no problems so far. I can definitely tell the difference in clarity, but they all track nicely and shoot to same POI at different magnifications.
Don't see the point in spending more on a scope than the purchase price of the rifle!
Old July 15, 2005, 08:43 AM   #15
travelinguy

I am a big fan of the Nikons for good price and quality. I have also been pretty impressed by the Elite series Bushnell. I got a good deal HERE
Old August 14, 2005, 05:14 AM   #16
shaggypiper

BigSlick, you ever order from there before? That sight has some nice prices and I ain't too proud to by used- as long as it says "Tactical, Extreme, SOF, Ninja" on the side
Old August 17, 2005, 12:22 PM   #17
GrandmasterB

I've been very pleased with Swift scopes. In the $100 range, you get a lot for your money IMHO.
Old August 18, 2005, 08:14 PM   #18
308LAW

for a cheap scope try sightron s-1 about $125 or a Bushnel elite 3200, about the same price, the sightron is a little better opticly.
Old August 18, 2005, 11:10 PM   #19
chemist308

Always had really good luck with my Bushnell 3x9x32--tack driver. I recently upgraded to a 4x12x40 in that same brand.
Old August 19, 2005, 07:31 PM   #20
Swamp Yankee

Cheap vs. Value?

I don't know if this helps but my nephew (college student on a real tight budget), put together a pretty nice Savage FP10 using a Bushnell Legend 5-15X40 with a Mil-Dot reticle. The rifle was $300 used and the scope and mounts ran about $200.
The scope works. He's doing very well with it. The only reall issue we've found is the adjustments are not consistant. They're supposed to be 1/4 inch at 100 yards but they vary from click to click. Both windage and elevation exhibit this behavior. The scope has held zero with no issues. He plans to upgrade to a better scope when finances allow.
FWIW
Take Care