The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 10, 1999, 08:17 AM   #1
fal308
Staff Alumnus

We're building a permanent CAS range at our club. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we're going to build but i would like to hear some ideas from you guys/gals out there.
BTW, thanks Bowie for your ideas. (I know you're lurking out there). You had 'em rollin' in the aisles with some of those stages!
Old September 10, 1999, 02:54 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Would this area be just for CAS,or would it be incorporated into the regular shooting area at the range?? Nothing makes a CAS range more fun than permanent,realistic storefronts on stage areas. Permanent berms between the shooting bays is also a big plus. Also,a place to store props and targets,and a little house or shed for registration and scoring.

Our club (The Cherokee Cowboys) uses the same six pistol bays as the regular gun club members. We're fortunate,however,to have a supportive board of directors who've allowed us to build a streetfront with boardwalk on one of the stages,and keep two long-haul trailers loaded with our targets and props at the gun club. We also have covered concrete pads at the front of 5 of the bays that give us a place to get out the GA. sun and rain.

Give us a few more details about what your area is like.

Bellicose Bill
Old September 11, 1999, 08:11 PM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

It's going to be a permanent range with five bays with rock wall berms between bays. Unfortunately we don't have room for a long range rifle area, so any sort of long range match will have to use one of the regular 100 yd ranges. We're going to build some storefronts, hotelfronts, saloon,jail etc. I think they're thinking of a western-style mini Hogan's Alley in at least one bay.
We'll have a covered pavilion and they're talking about a small enclosed building to serve as a match HQ.