The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 2, 2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Corrections Cop

31 year old white male
Conservative
Associates Degree in Criminal Justice
Corrections Sergeant
Have several hand guns a rifle and 2 shotguns
I use my guns for protection, and target practice.
I usually shoot with family or friends from work.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #27
jlr2267

Re: "Mainstream" firearm owners

46, male, agnostic, fiscal conservative, social liberal, married 17 years, 2 kids. PhD in Engineering, shoot mostly for fun, only hunting is doves in the Fall. No black guns, mostly shotguns and revolvers.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:16 PM   #28
Buzzcook

Old, fat, white, liberal.

I gotta say that I see a lot of "tribalism" and stereotyping from gunners. It's a two way street, equal opportunity type of deal.

Gun owners are not monolithic and people who want gun control aren't either.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:03 PM   #29
KyJim

I am a WASP in my 50s, well educated (as is my wife), live in a middle-class neighborhood in mid-sized city south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and hold a position of some responsibility with state government. I have two kids, one working on a master's and the other on her bachelor's degree. I have a number of firearms because I like both collecting and shooting. I do have to admit my stomach resembles that cartoon Tom Servo posted.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:11 PM   #30
SHE3PDOG

I'm younger than most of the crew here. I'm in my early 20's. Married. Christian. Libertarian (Though I don't fully agree with any current political party on everything). White. Born in Indiana. I've been a Marine since I was 18 years old. I have an Associates in Middle Eastern Studies. I speak 4 languages profficiently and am working on my 5th. I'm also an avid rock climber and hiker.

I didn't grow up around guns, but when I was about 10 years old, my mom accidentally fired a revolver at me. It missed, but I almost crapped myself. Despite that, I still learned how to shoot 4 years later with my grandpa's shotgun; I've been growing and shooting ever since. Shooting is fun, and I like collecting old war guns because of their historical value.

I like to think I don't fit the "stereotype", but I'm also of the opinion that acknowledging such a thing is in and of itself stereotyping. The truth is that gun owners are from all walks of life.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old June 3, 2013, 12:12 AM   #31
dakota.potts

I'm a male, 17 years old. Graduated high school at 16. Currently not going to college. Musician. I play rock and metal on the bass guitar as well as classical and baroque music on the classical guitar. I also write and compose music for video games (amateur only unfortunately).

I'm an entrepreneur and have helped launch several start up businesses. I also count both of my serious bands as entrepreneurial enterprises.

I'm 5'6 and 115 lbs, don't like sports, have never hunted, never been in a fight or mutual violent encounter, have not raised my voice in the past couple of years (save for reminding some persons close to me to reconsider their current mutual violence before the cops were called), and am fairly well read. I have rednecks in my family but don't consider myself one. I'm not religious, rather atheist/agnostic with maybe some Buddhist/pagan leanings.

I also consider myself a member of Anonymous and try to carry the daily attitude of political activism and increasing the life of others. I take time out of my day to listen to and help with the problems of others. The other day I helped an out of town woman at a gas station find directions after literally everybody else in the gas station refused (albeit with my hand on the only weapon I had the whole time because it was a stranger).

I'm soft spoken, come off as timid, and violence is something I advocate avoiding if for no reason other than legal troubles.

So, no, other than being a white male I think I'm nothing like the anti's would try to say I am.

Oh, I "own" one handgun (a CZ 75 that will legally be mine when I turn 18) but we also own a 10-22, a Remington 700, and a Smith and Wesson MP 15-22. I plan on getting a CZ shotgun, S&W MP15 Tactical Ar -15, and amassing a nice collection from there

EDIT: as far as political leanings, there is no party that satisfies me. I believe in small government and individual responsibility but also civil liberties. I support things like gay marriage and abortion, and I'm currently considering how much control the government should have in private business. I don't even know if I support things like minimum wage.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:32 AM   #32
HungryHunter

I don't think the stereotype, pro or against, bespeaks to any man's character. They usually don't in my experience. I fit the mold perfectly. I DO look just like the guys from Duck Dynasty. To say that since anti gunners portray that as bad, and that we should be offended to me is kinda sad. My age, weight, and political views don't say anything of the man I am.

Since you asked I have very little formal education(as I'm sure the majority of my posts reflect). I barely scraped by high school, because I was too busy thinking a major division one football scout was gonna pick me up, (2A highschool), yeah right! I served in the military, in the infantry...I'm sorta proud of that. If it makes me stereotypical in anyway that's alright with me.

I hunt, though I can't say I'm particularly good at it. I wear hunting cammo everyday, because I work on a horse farm by myself, and I like it, so why wouldn't I? I have a huge beard, and often say, " ya'll take care now," to a solitary person. You seldom see me not chewing tobacco, and I drive a lifted 85 Ford, with mudders,and a 460 that guzzles about seven mpg. I also live in a town with a population of 1000 people.

So yeah, I'd say I fit it just fine. On the other hand, I would stop for any person regardless of race, political views, or appearance who needs a lift. I haven't ever met a person, I didn't call sir or mam. I think every person has some value, and their words, however misplaced and misguided, or should I say misaligned with my opinions(who am I to say misguided) are I'll still listen to, and respect as their own. I don't loan money I give it. I try to always practice humility. And last but not least I have a moral compass I have rarely let down.

If you're offended to be lumped in with guys like me, hey that's okay. I don't mind. I can see my flaws, and see under an educated ,scrutinized view that it might be potentially embarrassing.I thought about it genuinely and if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't care. I just don't really think that much about how people perceive me. But hey, you know where you stand with a guy like me. I am self aware, and I don't ever try to be anything I'm not. Normalcy depends on where you are, and us " camo wearing mountain men" are kinda "normal" around here.So believe it or not, it might not be so bad to get stereotyped along with me every once in awhile. Heck, it might be fun, and I'd probably buy you a beer along the way.

Last edited by HungryHunter; June 3, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old June 3, 2013, 05:54 AM   #33
Bluestarlizzard

Hungryhunter,

I'm 5'3, have no facial hair and FEMALE!

Yes, sorry, it kinda bothers me to be veiwed by the public as you.

The mainstream gun owner doesn't fit in any one demographic. We tend to be all over the map. Yet, the image persists.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:41 AM   #34
SHE3PDOG

HungryHunter,

I think people were simply offended by being stereotyped by the mass media to alter the general public's perception of gun owners. The way country folk are viewed by the masses also isn't what it used to be.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old June 3, 2013, 07:47 AM   #35
Kimio

23 going on 24
Asian/Pacific Islander
Male

I only have two firearms to my name, an M91/30 Mosin and an "evil" black Stag Arms AR15. Both currently serve as range rifles only.

I'm so far away from the stereotypical farce that the gun grabber portray that it sickens me. Maybe way back in the day that's how a good portion of firearms owners were like, but nowadays, that simply isn't true. Chances are, you'd never know I was an avid firearms enthusiast by just looking at me, the only way you would know is if I told you, or (someday hopefully) you happened to have the privilage of being shown my personal armory.

Last edited by Kimio; June 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:56 AM   #36
osbornk

I'm a 65 year old college graduate that celebrated my 45th anniversary last week. I'm a short fat bald graybeard but stubborn and independent fellow who made a decision at 24 that I would retire debt free with enough savings to live on at 55 (and I did). I live in the mountains where almost every household has firearms. I ride motorcycles through some rough parts of WV and KY almost every week. I don't need to take a handgun with me on the rides because I have a Vietnam Special Forces Veteran following me who is "adequately" armed.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:57 AM   #37
Skans

Quote:
I've always been seriously annoyed at the picture of the sterotypical gun owner.
Really? I have to say, the steryotypical picture that the liberal press will pull out of their butt every now and then doesn't bother me in the least. If I could make patches on them and sew them onto my shooting cap, I would!
Old June 3, 2013, 09:19 AM   #38
Thespis

OK. I'm 71, male, white, a Navy vet, have ridden cross-country on my Harley the past several summers (and will again next month), believe that religion should be a purely personal issue, and own a fairly wide range of guns including revolvers from .22 to .44 mag., pistols from .32 to .45, several rifles from .22 to .30-06 (including a Ruger mini-14 in .223 but no "black plastic" rifles), and two shotguns in 12 and 20 gauge. I hunt occasionally (eating what I kill) and carry concealed for self-defense. But I think my chief reason in owning these firearms is that I enjoy shooting them, whether at the range or out in the woods doing some plinking. I learned to shoot from my older brother and my uncle starting when I was around 8, and have owned guns for most of my life. I am retiring this month after 47 years as a high school and college teacher of English and Drama. Politically, I am an independent. While my bias is certainly more liberal than conservative, I have never been less than a whole-hearted supporter of the 2nd amendment. In my professional life, I don't think I have ever fit a particular teacher stereotype. I'm also pretty sure I don't fit anti-gun America's stereotype of the gun owner.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:41 AM   #39
HungryHunter

SHE3DOG, Bluestarlizzard, right I get what you guys mean. I'm not trying to rock the boat. I just mean that when I think about "groups" of people I'd be offended to be categorized in the same group as it usually involves character traits, and behaviors. I.E. rapists, murderers, thieves, liars..etc. Not groups judged by age, weight, etc. Then I in turn obviously aspire to be in "good groups"(brave people, kind people, humble people).Like I said, not upset, just food for thought, and a different spin on the whole thing, maybe get the mind thinking a little different for a few.

Ya'll have a good day now
Old June 3, 2013, 09:45 AM   #40
HungryHunter

SHE3DOG, I meant to add I firmly believe you're right about rural areas, and people being thought of a lot differently these days.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Patriot86

My WIFE is not your typical gun owners this I will admit.
She is 31, White, independent in her politics. She grew up in a rural area but did not hunt. Her father was a gun guy but her mom made him sell his guns when they had kids.

She wanted me to teach her how to shoot after I started spending more time traveling on business leaving her all alone at home.

I am embarrassed to say she shoots a sub compact handgun better than I do...If it were not for her small hands she would probably outshoot me with a 1911 or P226 also.

Male
White, German/Polish/Irish
6'7"
300 lbs
Non religious

I own guns for fun (target shooting) and self defense. I own mostly fullsized semi autos and "evil" black weapons.

Quote:
I hate to admit it, I own that hat...and I think those pants too.

Last edited by Patriot86; June 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:33 PM   #42
gunloony

Age 65, male Caucasian, born and living in the South, attended college but did not graduate, NRA and state association Life Member, former hunter and occasional match shooter, owner of rifles, shotguns, and handguns of a variety of calibers and types, mostly sporting and military/defense types, including one match-type rimfire pistol and two percussion revolvers and one evil black plastic rifle. Politically I am registered Independent and vote for candidates that are generally close to my beliefs which tend toward the liberal on social issues and toward the conservative on fiscal issues.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:58 PM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Gun owners who weren't fat old hillbillies (which is to say, most of us) were very offended
Don't forget that those of us who are fat old hillbillies might be offended as well!

Mid fifties, married over 30 years (to the same women), two grown children currently serving in the armed forces. Race: human. Ancestral Ethnicity: English, Irish, Scotch, Welch, Dutch, German, Native American and who knows what else.

Does not belong to any organized religious group.
Very Liberal on certain specific issues, very Conservative on others. Not completely happy with any political party, and disgusted with some.

Used guns for hunting and recreation from about 12yrs old on. Collect guns for the pleasure of ownership, enjoyment of mechanical design and execution, and these days, occassional range trips. Handload for over 30 different rifle and pistol calibers.

No college, but better educated in some ways than many with degrees hanging on their walls. And yes, slightly proud of that fact. Other than TFL, not interested in social media. Does NOT own a cell phone. Has a computer, but this is about the most I can do with it.

hope this helps your research.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:57 PM   #44
TailGator

Male, white, mid-50s. Regular church goer. Earned doctorate from a major university and widely respected medical professional. Hobbies include classical piano, with a performing career that has spanned over 40 years. Politics are mostly moderate, tending towards liberalism on some issues and conservatism on others, not a good fit for either party overall, especially in this era of extremism and intolerance.

IOW, not the way the antis want gun owners portrayed. Your point is well taken, and something with which I agree.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:59 PM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
The question is really how many of you actually only own the anti's definition of "ok" guns?
IMO, if truth be told in that matter, I think that would be none of us, because (we are telling the truth, remember) no privately owned firearms are OK with Them: I remember DiFi saying that if she could tell "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in", she would do it.

The only "OK guns" for the Antis, IMO, are those in the hands of the Government, which they intend to be in control of.

Gun Control: It's not about Guns, it is about Control.

That shotgun in their vid would be outlawed in NY, as it could be easily modified to hold 8+rounds .....

Quote:
Gender.
Age (approxamate)
Race.
Types of firearms owned and for what purposes (just a general overview, nobody has to be specific)
White male, 40-50, and I aim to own as many types of firearm as I can afford to- I even want an example of the second ugliest handgun design in History (a Glock - does not matter which one, they are all pretty much the same level of ugly). I hunt, plink, and keep guns for self defense as well.

I'm not overweight, so I don't fit their profile ......

I am pretty well disgusted with both National political parties, due to their addiction to deficit spending, and their predilection for increasing the power and scope of the Federal government. I believe the Federal government is too big to succeed.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:09 PM   #46
Bluestarlizzard

HungryHunter,

I get what you're saying, and to a certain extent agree with you. Being lumped in with rural folks who are brave, humble and pretty darn self sufficient doesn't offend me. Hell, I am one of those folks, too(here's how I fit the syerotype, BTW, rural, virginian, white, fiscelly conservative, little L libertarian, wanna be prepper, blue coller, live in a singlewide! )

But look at this from another angle (and this is where, IMO, this sterotype really hurts us) look at it from the perspective of the American who is completely ambivilent about the 2nd Amendment and those who lean against it.
They see that sterotype and they see a minority, one which they don't see as really responcible enough to own guns. A minority that happens to be the only one which PC Americans don't see an issue with being bigoted towards.
These people vote, occasionally on this issue, and they don't see how it could possibly affect anyone they know simply because they have no real concept that that sterotype is far far far from accurate.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:20 PM   #47
OPC

Quote:
Race.
Types of firearms owned and for what purposes (just a general overview, nobody has to be specific)
Male
40s
Hispanic
5'10", 165#
No facial hair
M.S. Engineering
Firearms are purchased based on historical noteworthiness, self-defense (against both 2- & 4-legged critters and even legless ones), hunting, and target shooting.

I own SA & DA revolvers, and semi-auto pistols; semi-auto, bolt , and lever action rifles; break-open, pump, and semi-auto shotguns. And a couple of bows.

I wonder what box the main-stream media would try to shoe-horn me into.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #48
P5 Guy

Very interesting!

Born about 58 years ago in South Jersey
WASP
Twice married now divorced
Moved to Florida about 25 years ago
High school and apprenticed for Industrial Mechanic/Technician.
No political or religious affiliations
Shot at water fowls and upland birds many years ago only kill cardboard now
Own revolvers, pistols, rifles and a shotgun
Rifles are military surplus types
Carry for self defense because my health isn't all that great arthritis and a pudgy build
Never served in the military
Have become a single issue voter
Currently a part of that dreaded 47%
Old June 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #49
HungryHunter

Bluestarlizzard,

I'm picking up what you're putting down for sure. That stereotype is damaging, and people have no problem using it. As long as we both agree that it is far from the truth, and that even if you do meet many physical characteristics of it, it implies nothing about a persons character, we're on the same page.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:08 PM   #50
Hiker 1

42, white libertarian/athiest, MBA, work in software. Wife, kiddos and one big honking cat.

I think I fit one of the profiles - I am former military (infantry), I have a buzz cut, I stay in good shape and I get asked fairly often if I'm a cop. People aren't surprised when they find out I'm a gun owner.