The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 7, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
BoogieMan

S&W lock

I have one like most of you do. To me its only been a little bit of an eye sore. Is there a issue with them? Can they be removed? Ant reason to remove? Im just curious as so many mention the pre-lock revolvers.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Dave T

First of all, most of us don't have them. The people I shoot with and converse with about S&W revolvers refuse to buy one of the later Smiths.

Yes they can be removed and I'm told there is a plug available somewhere on the internet to fill up the un-sightly hole. Then you have a hole with a plug in it on the side of your frame.

There have been claims that the ultra-light guns with the plug have locked up when maximum loads are fired through them. Those that say this are immediately doubted by those who don't mind the lock and defend S&W for having the bloody things in the first place. Since I've never owned one of them I can't say for sure, one way or the other.

Dave
Old May 7, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That should start off one of those frothing-at-the-mouth, rant-and-rage sessions once again. Hang on for a bumpy ride.

Jim
Old May 7, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

Here's a reknowned firearms expert on the subject.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...nal-gun-locks/
Old May 7, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Revolver1

Don't buy the new revolvers, JUNK! You're gonna' spend the same getting the good old stuff anyway! Buying a new Smith with MIM parts and locks is treasonous!
Old May 7, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

The lock isn't my favorite, but I do own a Smith & Wesson 637. I've never engaged the lock and I've never had any issues with it.

While I don't discount every story about them locking up unexpectedly, I do believe that it is very, very rare.

They can be removed and you can buy a plug to fill the hole that is left.

Personally, if you like the gun, buy it. You'll likely never have any problems with it.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:09 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

I bought the new 642 without a lock, but I have never seen anyone I know have any issues about locking up, etc.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:14 PM   #8
shouldazagged

Another argument for older Smith revolvers. I've never bought a new one, and every one I've bought has been superb. Still have two as my only handguns, one 1990 and one 1966. Trust both implicitly.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
BoogieMan

I own a lock gun, 460xvr. So far I have only fired about 40 rnds through it. But if it doesnt lock up on full house 460 loads I dont know what it would take. Being as I am new to the whole revolver thing I am no expert.
I was just wondering what the whole lock issue was. Seems as though its a purist thing to me. Which is fine.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 7, 2013, 08:44 PM   #10
MrBorland

Lordy.

I'll be contrary. My own Lock-infested 686 has 70k+ hard round through it, and The Lock's been a non-issue. Get what you like - but whatever you get, shoot it a bunch if you want to become a shooter.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:42 PM   #11
JC57

I have a 642 with the lock. No problems so far, but I'm sure based on the Internet that it will lay in wait until that one time I need the gun and will then choose to self-lock.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:10 AM   #12
kcub

I won't buy them. If we all quit buying them they would go away.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:31 AM   #13
LAH

Never seen one lock up.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:35 AM   #14
nanewt02

Never had a problem with the lock, but I do the decreasing quality, unfortunately the 500 magnum is new, so there's not one built like the old ones, fortunately I have the first model, they could put a stronger spring in them if they insist on keeping them,
Old May 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #15
skidder

My biggest complaint is the location. Taurus and Ruger gave it a little more thought. The person who dropped the hole in the side of the Smith definitely revealed to us his passion for revolvers.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 8, 2013, 10:08 AM   #16
ScotchMan

They offer the 642, 442, and a few other models new with no-lock. If you have the choice, get one without the lock. But there's no reason to say don't buy ANY new Smith when they give you the option.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 8, 2013, 10:46 AM   #17
deepcreek

I have owned a couple of them I do not like them but never had a problem with them. I have shot at least 1000+ rds in all of them.

I have thought about having the locks taken out but "If it isn't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

I just haven't found another revolver I like better and feel more secure with a new revolver then an old one.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Dondor

Have one on my 686+ The "Hillary Hole" doesn't bother me as I don't see it when I'm shooting.

Hell, I don't even know where the key is to the thing.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Obambulate

I consider the IL to be ugly and unnecessary. So far I have avoided owning one with the lock. I did purchase a S&W 351c of recent vintage, which was very nicely made and has no IL. I would consider more new Smiths if they would discontinue the lock.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Old_Dog

I think it is much ado about nothing. A few reported cases out of hundreds of thousands of guns and people go nuts. Just because there is a possibility of something happening it does not mean it is likely. If we all lived our lives preparing for the unlikely simply because it is possible, we would all wear helmets to protect us against meteors. Heck, many people do not have fire extinguishers and there is a much great chance of fire than a lock not working on your gun.

Most of you are probably not old enough to remember the outcry when Glocks first hit the U.S. market. They were considered plastic guns that would break, the plastic would crack and could not work right because they did not have a lot of parts. There were stories of them exploding due to an early problem with the use of reloaded .40 cal ammo. They were devil guns and you had to be crazy to buy one. Heck, I did not buy one until 2 years ago because all polymer guns had left such a negative image in my head from the early days. To this day, most of my guns are all metal. I am sure that in the future, locks will be a non issue too.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:46 PM   #21
bumnote

I have 2 686's one from '80 a 6" no-lock another from '06 a 4" with the lock. Both shoot great. Yes that little hole looks like crap, and the fit and finish are better on the older model, but it's not any more or less accurate or reliable. My '67 M-19 has workmanship than my 686's, my '49 K-38 has better workmanship than my M-19...and so on and so on. Bottom line is none of them have been anymore or less reliable or accurate and all of them do what I want them to do and I love 'em all, although the M-19 is my favorite.
If you find something you like and it does what you want it to do and does it well and reliably, it doesn't matter.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:16 PM   #22
AID_Admin

Quote:
A few reported cases out of hundreds of thousands of guns and people go nuts
That statement only works until you really need it and it locks on you. I'll give you an unrelated example. My friend's daughter worked as a volunteer at Boston's marathon this year. She was standing right across the street when one of the bombs went of. Close enough that she had someone else blood on her. She wasn't physically harmed. Not a scratch. But were she 30 feet closer, she would be one of the victims. Up until I've heard about it I thought "There were thousands of people on that marathon. Only three have died, it's a miracle the number is so low". The second I knew she was right near by my thoughts were completely different...

The point I am making that you think of numbers and go like "oh, it's only a few out of thousands" until something happens to you or someone you know... and then there is a question: would you still buy S&W with the lock, when you can avoid it?
Old May 8, 2013, 03:39 PM   #23
RickB

I've never had any problem with mine. Shoot lefty like I do, and you don't even have to look at the little hole in the frame.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:04 PM   #24
LAH

Quote:
Shoot lefty like I do, and you don't even have to look at the little hole in the frame.
HEE HEE
Old May 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Shadi Khalil

S&W lock

The lock is hideous and the reasoning behind it is foolish. That said, I think it took me a whole ten minutes to get over it when I bought my first IL equipped S&W. Truth be told, I've been known to use the lock from to time to time. For instance, this weekend the family and I went to go visit my parents. At some point i wanted to shower and would be leaving the gun unattended. Since my young nieces and siblings were there as well, I locked up the gun using the IL and then took all the ammo into the bathroom with me. Just like most people, I'd rather it was not there.